National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a second handgun and I want a revolver. I'm thinking I want something with a 3'' to 6'' barrel, adjustable sights, in .38 or .357. A classic S&W or Colt would be best, but a Ruger would suffice. I don't mind a well worn exterior, so long as it's a solid shooter. This gun is purely for fun/ informal target practice, so .357 is not that important. My budget should be about $400 plus or minus $100. I'm thinking an old service pistol may be the best, so What am I looking for???
Any and all input is appreciated
Thanks,

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Go to a gun show and get an old S&W. Maybe a police trade in or something like that. There's still plenty out there in that price range. You don't find to many Colts or Rugers plus the price on Colts is out of site. Get one with a 3"or4" barrel as they are balanced well for most people. Good luck and have fun on your venture. :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Traded my first gun - Glock 23 - for a used Smith and Wesson Distinguished Combat 686-5 (.357 Magnum, 4" bbl, adjustable sights, chrome finish). Very high on the bad-azz scale.

:twisted:

No regrets, no looking back.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Good suggestions so far. I'm partial to Smith & Wesson for a variety of reasons, including the fact that there are S&Ws in various sizes to fit your hand. I'm an average sized guy with small hands and I like the fit and feel of their J-Frames (small) for concealed carry, and their K-Frame, L-Frame and N-Frame for the range and for hunting. They are easy to maintain and last forever with minimal care.

The Colt and Ruger are good choices as well. Colt, however, stopped making regular production double-action revolvers a few yrs ago and the prices of used ones has gone sky-high. Rugers are good and available, priced reasonably, and many folks swear by them. My first handgun ever was a Ruger. My only criticism is that the trigger pull is much heavier than I like and they're a bear to lighten up.

You won't go wrong with any of these three brands, though. BTW, you probably know that if you get a .357 Magnum, you can also shoot .38 Special ammo in it, as well, right?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
CDNN gets lots of police trade-ins. 800-588-9500

Great guys to deal with.

They used to have on flat rate of $10 for shipping your entire order, recently went up to $19 for your entire order, no limit of quantity/size/weight.

Also, you can ask them to "pick you a good one," they'll hand-select if you're polite & friendly. I ordered what was supposed to be a used German model H&K 9mm, hand-picked one was brand new with the factory grease still on it, w/manual.

I usually deal with Jerry, but they're all good folks.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I have to admint that, 20 years ago, I bought a Taurus .357.

The ejector rod was loose out of the box, causing the cylinder to bind, but it's functioned flawlessly after I tightened it up.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
As I said, the ones I've sold are batting a little better than 50-50. Notably the extractors and the chamber size. I warn customers about it in advance and tell them they will have to pay the shipping for warranty service. Most still take the chance because of the significantly lower price compared to American revolvers.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
gunrnr said:
As I said, the ones I've sold are batting a little better than 50-50. Notably the extractors and the chamber size. I warn customers about it in advance and tell them they will have to pay the shipping for warranty service. Most still take the chance because of the significantly lower price compared to American revolvers.
Do you mean that the chambers are actually machined to the wrong diameter??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts