National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty young when I shot my first shotgun and I was just wondering, what age is good?

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
I guess it depends on the kid, if he's 14 and still only weighs 76 pounds I would say he's not ready. I was 12 when I first shot a 12 ga but I was a pretty big fella then.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Above all, make sure (he/she) gets proper training in the correct and safe way to handle a firearm. Plus, you don't want them to shy away from shooting if you hand them too much gun to start with. Maybe a 20 ga for a few rounds until they get used to some recoil, then ask them if they want to shoot the 12 ga. Shoot it yourself a few times to let them see what to expect, and start out with some light target loads first. (I wouldn't slip them a turkey mag right away...) :shock:

G

·
i would say around 13 somewhere maybe 12 if they are big enough. I would reccomend being atleast 100 pounds to absorb enough recoil. I have been shooting a 12 gauge since i was like 12 and weighed 90 pounds though but i had been shooting since the age of 5 and i was not recoil shy.

G

·
Gunzzi said:
Above all, make sure (he/she) gets proper training in the correct and safe way to handle a firearm. To true! I was 13 but it doesnt apply to every one...if you MAKE them flinch there gone...dont scare them away tolerance & patients gets results!

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I was way too young. My ex brother-in-law had me shoot his 12 guage double side by side when I was around 7 to 8. It was the fall so I cannot remember exactly what my age was at the time. It had a hell of a kick and my ears were ringing for quite some time. Damn near ended up on my [email protected]@ but he managed to support me. I would not start my son until he is 12 or 13. He is fairly small for his age both height and weight and I do not want to intimidate him away from firearms.

G

·
I shot my first 12 gauge when I was 7. I was a stocky boy, so it did not seem that bad but if they are small then wait a while till they grow big.

·
Banned
818 Posts
It all depends on the gun and ammo. If you insist on starting a kid out young on a 12 gauge the get him a gun with a 28" ported barrel and use target 2 3/4" loads.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I guess everyone pretty much said it, it really depends on the kid.

My first experience with a big shotgun was with my grandfather's 10 gauge goose gun. I had to be about 8 or 9 and a pretty good sized kid for my age and was familiar with the 410 and 20 g. Well, I kept nagging gramps to let me fire the "big gun". He finally got fed up and allowed me let one rip with that thing. He insisted that the shotgun be supported on a padded tree stump and be fired from a kneeling position. I pulled the trigger and suddenly see the sky and the sounds of my cousins laughing at me. Seems that shotgun flipped me right over onto my back. Scared the bejeebers out of me and my shoulder hurt like the dickens. I never wanted to touch that goose gun again until I was in my late teens.

G

·
no. i let her shoot the 7mm rem mag cause she was feeling like a big girl and now she doesnt want to shoot any other rifle than the 10/22 and my ar.

ive got a little wife. shes barrely 5 foot

G

·
I know that I was around 8 when I shot my Dad's 12 gauge. All my teenage daughter's shoot, but they use a 20 gauge.

Trinity +++

G

·
I shot my first 410 when I was 8, 12 gauge came around 12. Boy did I get mad! It HURT! I am really skinny and really small. Not a good time that day. Went on shooting all other gauges for a while then got back on that 12 gauge horse when I was 13.

G

·
I don't think letting a youngster shoot a 12 is a good idea.
1) the shotgun is heavy, hard to swing, recoil is substantial so you notice a tendency to flinch.
2) I bought both my boys the Remington 1100 20 gua youth model. It is a great dove and quail gun, with hi brass it'll bring down a duck at 35 yds with modified chock screwed in. They both shot those guns to adulthood, then bought Mod 1200 in 12 gua.

equates to: don't buy a 16 yr old a Mustang Cobra.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts