National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Fudds are secretly everywhere, hiding in plain sight, and I just had my most memorable encounter at my LGS. What’s everyone most memorable fudd encounter?

Mod edit...
Your posts were reverted back to their original form. You may not alter your posts in its entirety especially after receiving 2 pages of replies.
Dont do it again.
-Speed

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think of Elmer “Fudd” the looney toons hunter or Joe Biden. A fudd generally refers to someone who is somewhat pro gun but not pro 2nd. They only believe in guns for the purpose of hunting. Fudds dislike most semi autos Besides the M1 Garand and the 1911, and support liberal gun control as you don’t need a “assault rifle” for hunting. Fudds also don’t care if liberals ban most guns, as long as their hunting guns aren’t affected. Think about what guns somebody would own in 1950, those are the only guns fudds believe in. Fudds will also make up claims about nockdown Power and how 556 and 9mm are not lethal, this is called fudd lore. Fudds will also get pissy at the range if you fire more than once a minute, or show up with a black rifle. This is a fudd. They are evil and they compromise our second as they are willing to compromise on gun control.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,323 Posts
I personally don’t like the classification of Fudd. I think it targets a generation of folks. There are a lot of people who get thrown into that group that would likely teach you a few things if you had the patience to learn it.

Sure there are misconceptions about guns and ammo but it’s not exclusive to a group of people. There are also bullshitters that’ll blow smoke up your wazzu if you hold still long enough, but those are in every group as well.

As for M1’s and 1911s, those are classics. I own guns in every category except full auto and I can tell you from experience, those are exceptional weapons, even today. I’ve seen guys that would fall into that category pick up a bolt action and take a 200 or 300 yard shot with iron sights and nail their target. They are good with what they have because they have skills most people don’t have the patience to sharpen.

We might as well start a mall ninja thread and pick on guys who put optics and flashlights on their plastic pistols. I’m sure that’ll go over well too.

· Super Moderator
16,604 Posts
I’m feeling an itchy hammer hand....

Alan

· RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,534 Posts
Ironically a range officer at my range (he's not there anymore) told a member who wore camo pants and matching T shirt to leave the range cause his attire was not appropriate.
I was one of the many members who filed a complaint against him to the owner.

· Registered
3,573 Posts
Sometimes it is the newbie who does not want to learn by listening respectfully bring out the as you call it The Fudd in some of us.
As in your other thread you started also on Fudd's. Perhaps a little self examination as to how you are interacting with people might give you a better understanding of the treatment you are receiving. Most seasoned gun guys I know are more than willing to help and educate young people to our sport. Sometimes I spend more time at the range helping a new person learn to shoot than shooting for myself. Maybe a change in attitude on your part might bring out a change in how these Fudd's perceive you and treat you. There are jerks in every range and gun store, but they are the exception not the norm. I wish you good luck in your new hobby.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
my last encounter?........when i looked in the mirror this morning.......:unsure:

and no....i do not accept your definition of a "Fudd" as no legal definition exists in the context of the 2a.

to me a "Fudd" is someone conserative, slow to change, remembers the past experiences, and not willing to take new technology at face value or march to someone else's drum beat till i see merit in it....a change in direction is slow and deliberate.....not a rabid knee-jerk.....and to heck with what others think about the Fudd's conserative and reserved approach.

· Registered
886 Posts
I think the last thing we need right now is to create divisions in the gun owning community. Every person who owns a gun is a step closer to being for gun rights that a non-gun owner. These are people we need to befriend and have sincere conversations with. They are not a group we want to ridicule.

I will tell you about a Fudd encounter that I thought was extremely ironic, but it is not a person I'm calling out, but an organization. I used to live 5 minutes from the NRA HQ Range. They would not allow targets on the range that were depictions of any creature, not a bad guy with gun, not a zombie, not even a rabbit. So much for the NRA's support of self defense and hunting!

To save money on targets, I use paper plates with a Sharpie dot in the center. One time, just on a whim, I drew a smiley face on a paper plate with my Sharpie. The RSO told me that was not allowed. The official rationale was that children use the range and having targets with creatures on it would be inappropriate, an excuse I think is ridiculous. What someone told me is the real reason is journalists sneak in and try to surreptitiously take pictures (even though cameras are not allowed) and they NRA was concerned about the optics. I am not sure I but that either.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,014 Posts
It seems someone has their panties in a wad.

Only a fool would think he knows everything about a particular subject. Always listen, you may learn something new.

· Registered
Pistoleer
107 Posts
I am part of the undefined group that came after Fudds. We feel that the M1 Garand and 1911 were great for their time but are vintage firearms that belong in museums. The original AR15/M16 and its A1 & A2 variants were the best and everything beyond the A2 is an abomination. The CZ-75, Beretta 92, and Sig P226 were God's gift to the firearms community and should be revered and cherished. Any pistol that has a plastic frame and/or is striker-fired is cursed and must be avoided at all costs.
;) :ROFLMAO:

· Last Stand on Earth
6,323 Posts
I am part of the undefined group that came after Fudds. We feel that the M1 Garand and 1911 were great for their time but are vintage firearms that belong in museums. The original AR15/M16 and its A1 & A2 variants were the best and everything beyond the A2 is an abomination. The CZ-75, Beretta 92, and Sig P226 were God's gift to the firearms community and should be revered and cherished. Any pistol that has a plastic frame and/or is striker-fired is cursed and must be avoided at all costs.
Funny, I am a GenX as is my brother and of the 150 or so guns we have, who's designs span from 1860 - present day, none of those you listed are in our collections. While I might entertain the Sig P226, I think the Beretta 92 is one of the ugliest guns ever created. I quite regularly shoot SAA revolvers and 1911's as much as I shoot AR's and polymer pistols. But that's the beauty of the gun community, everyone has their own taste and there is something for everyone. I wouldn't put you down for your taste anymore than I would expect you to do it to me, unless you are a Glock fan, then its open season 🤣

· Registered
886 Posts
LOL. I basically agree with that, but isn't it interesting that those manufacturers you revere are coming out with plastic striker pistols and really pushing them? In Sig's case, they are selling more of them than anything else. CZ and Beretta are working on it.

· Registered
Pistoleer
107 Posts
Funny, I am a GenX as is my brother and of the 150 or so guns we have, who's designs span from 1860 - present day, none of those you listed are in our collections. While I might entertain the Sig P226, I think the Beretta 92 is one of the ugliest guns ever created. I quite regularly shoot SAA revolvers and 1911's as much as I shoot AR's and polymer pistols. But that's the beauty of the gun community, everyone has their own taste and there is something for everyone. I wouldn't put you down for your taste anymore than I would expect you to do it to me, unless you are a Glock fan, then its open season 🤣
Congratulations, your eclectic interest in firearms means you are not part of any group. LOL

The Beretta 92 "ugly"!? Fine Italian engineering along with their keen sense of fashion all combined into a pistol. What is there not to like? :D

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,893 Posts
Just as an aside:

The Beretts M92/M9 is a modified Walther P.38. Don't believe me? Detail strip them side by side.
The Walther P.38 was accepted by the German military in 1938 and was the nazi's main issue handgun during WWII.
There really is nothing new under the sun.
Does that knowledge make me a fudd?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.