National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m thinking about buying myself a cheap (probably single-shot) .223 for deer hunting but I don´t know much about guns at all. Could somebody suggest something for maybe even under $300? Like I said, I´m no gun fanatic but I´ve gone deer hunting a couple of times and Iike to get something economical that does the job. Any and all ideas welcome.

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
Always go for the Cheapest gun in the smallest caliber you can find when going after big game. Never mind what some idiot said about using enough gun.

No Really! Don't use a 223 on deer especially if you don't know very much about guns. Save your allowance for a few more years and buy a nice used Model 700 in 30-06 or 270, there's a ton of them out there.

I really only answered this post because I want the $5 to satisfy my addiction to the game room.

Alan

·
Gun Totin' Gearhead
586 Posts
First of all, don't post the same question in multiple forums, your question will be answered in due time. Second, don't hunt with a single shot if you're inexperienced, which you clearly sound. Third, DON'T use a .223 to hunt deer. Use enough gun for the job. If you're set on getting a single shot, why do you want a .223 anyways? Get an H&R in .243, .270, .308, or .30-06... They're almost the same freakin' price, and the difference in ammo cost will be almost non-existent. Do a little research for yourself. No responsible hunter will hunt deer with anything smaller than a .243.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey y´all -- I´m really not a TOTALLY unexperienced idiot! The reason I am thinking about a .223 is just that that last deer I killed was with a .223 and it seemed to work just fine. (Also I´m living in Mexico right now and all the narcos use .223´s (AR-15´s) and they seems to kill people just fine so I figured they´d work just fine on deer.)

Really try to be helpful please - laughing at someone who´s ignorant doesn´t make them any less ignorant.
Thanks.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
First thing I would do is forget about the 223. Get at least a 243 to hunt deer.

H&R make good affordable single shots. I have one in 243 and it would be fine for deer hunting.

What kind of territory are you going to be hunting? What kind of ranges do you expect to be shooting?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Using .223 for deer is not the best way to go. Will it kill a deer with one shot? Sure, it's possible. It's also possible to kill a human with a .22LR but I wouldn't recommend it for self-defense. It sounds like you have ONE success story of taking down a deer with a .223 round. Most people will tell you that you either got lucky or had a close-range, can't-miss shot. I believe several states do not allow deer hunting with that caliber for a reason.

I urge you to consider taking it up a notch.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
hey y´all -- i´m really not a totally unexperienced idiot! The reason i am thinking about a .223 is just that that last deer i killed was with a .223 and it seemed to work just fine. (also i´m living in mexico right now and all the narcos use .223´s (ar-15´s) and they seems to kill people just fine so i figured they´d work just fine on deer.)

really try to be helpful please - laughing at someone who´s ignorant doesn´t make them any less ignorant.
Thanks.

wtf...

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Where do you live? This will determine whether such a thing is within your hunting regs.

·
Gun Totin' Gearhead
586 Posts
Using .223 for deer is not the best way to go. Will it kill a deer with one shot? Sure, it's possible. It's also possible to kill a human with a .22LR but I wouldn't recommend it for self-defense. It sounds like you have ONE success story of taking down a deer with a .223 round. Most people will tell you that you either got lucky or had a close-range, can't-miss shot. I believe several states do not allow deer hunting with that caliber for a reason.

I urge you to consider taking it up a notch.
Well said.

Well said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember reading somewhere that .223 and 5.56 were never intended to be outright deadly rounds. The thought was that, in a combat situation, killing someone removed one enemy from the battlefield. Wounding someone, on the other hand, removed three. Two others would have to help the poor guy to safety. They were made to be accurate but never intended to drop a man dead.

Of course a lot depends on where you hit it. But that being the case, using it on deer seems cruel.

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
People and deer are different. People are soft with thin skin needing alot less to take them out. Plus I wouldnt care if a BG sufferd before they expired. Deer like all animals do what they are intended to do they are not evil. I believe as well as I am sure anyone else on this forum you owe it to the animal deer or what ever to make their death as painless and as quick as possible thats why it is said to use enough gun. If you want to shoot the same caliber as the military then I would suggest buying a .308.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This all brings me to one of my pet peeves about the gun debate. There are those who look at weapons chambered in .223 in absolute horror and disgust. They will tell you that it is a military round with no purpose other than killing people and that civilians shouldn't be allowed to have it.

But, if you bought something like a .458 Lott, they'd be fine. It's a hunting round.

Obviously I wouldn't want to be shot with either. But I rekon I'd have a better chance of surviving the .223.

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
The .223 is a great hunting round for small to medium game. For coyotes it works great leaving very little damage to the pelt. I only brought up the military round becuase the OP said thats what he wanted because that was what is around him.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
all the narcos use .223´s (AR-15´s) and they seems to kill people just fine so I figured they´d work just fine on deer.
Those narcos shoot and go. Hunting, you shoot and track, unless you dropped the quarry on the spot. Track one deer for a few miles one time, and you will want a .45-70 next time. My favorite hunting rifle is a .45-70 lever action. I have a few and recommend them all. A more standard choice is a .308 or .30-06 bolt action, Remington or Savage, or a sporterzed Mauser, but all these guns I mentioned, which all use military rounds, are a lot more pricey than a single shot H&R.

IMHO if you insist on hunting with a single shot rifle, carry a sidearm.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If I'm not mistaken - owning a firearm chambered for a "military" capable round is a Mexican Federal offense and can lead to some serious time spend in the hoosgow. Narcos comments aside - you sound to be a good, lawabiding citizen - watch your frejoles.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
It is interesting that in Oregon you can use any 22 caliber centerfire rifle, not rim fire, to hunt deer sized game. That means 22-250, 222, 223, etc.

I do agree it is more humane to use 243 caliber and higher and the price is the same if you buy a single shot H&R or Rossi. You can buy one for less than $200 if you catch them on sale. I bought a Rossi for $176 with the heavy barrel for Coyote hunting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand what you are saying with respect to the 223, but I have shot deer with a 300 win mag at center mass and still had to track them down. so, there is a good chance a deer could run on you. but sounds like you are hunting in mexico right? no whitetails down there, just though little marsh deer, which is like shooting a whitetail fawn, so you may be ok with a 223 if that is the case.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that .223 and 5.56 were never intended to be outright deadly rounds. The thought was that, in a combat situation, killing someone removed one enemy from the battlefield. Wounding someone, on the other hand, removed three. Two others would have to help the poor guy to safety. They were made to be accurate but never intended to drop a man dead.

Of course a lot depends on where you hit it. But that being the case, using it on deer seems cruel.
Yeah, I heard that too. The whole deal with the 5.56 was to create a light weight weapon which could allow soldiers to carry more ammunition. The M16 was developed using the technology of the AR-10 (which they should've gone with haha) and used a smaller cartridge which penetrated like the .30 Carbine. The 55gr round in the longer M16 barrel was sometimes very effective, while other times not.

Yep, I would definitely step it up to at least a .243 or 6mm.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I agree with the folks here. If your hunting coyote size or smaller game the .223 will work very well. Get something bigger for deer & stuff. Check out the Savage "Edge" series of rifles. They are in your price range & come in several calibers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts