National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Most effective? All WWII pistols were effective at killing people. I would say the Browning Hi-power was more effective because it held 5 more rounds.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Where are we going Coal?

Most effective? Based on what? Looks? Place of manufacturing? Total number of kills? Longevity of service? Ease of use? Cool factor? Knock down power? Etc, etc,etc. Pretty broad question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Or did they just look great?
Chambered in either 7.65, or 9x19, yes indeed the "Luger" pistol was effective. It was also expensive, and prone to mechanical problems, combined with an exaggerated grip to bore angle. The toggle link was a carry over from the earliest days of semiautomatic handguns, when designers were experimenting with the "best" design. Clearly the toggle link lost the evolutionary battle to such pistols as the Walther P38, and Browning High Power.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,533 Posts
If you believe that a new member is actually a previously banned member... (I'm not so sure in this case)
STOP engaging them and allowing their threads to go on for multiple pages.

It's that exact attention that they feed off of and exactly why they keep returning.

If you read a post and think to yourself..."Hmmmm, that sounds like so and so" or "I think thats so and so"
Dont respond....just move on.

When these people or person are starved of attention they will stop returning.
As long as everyone keeps playing right into their hand the cycle will continue.

What kind of message do you think it sends when they post a thread and it falls off the page because it got zero responses?

That said...be sure you're right because lack of engagement or hostility towards noobs is also a great way to run off actual new members that would otherwise become contributing members to the site and ensure NGF's demise.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Most effective? All WWII pistols were effective at killing people. I would say the Browning Hi-power was more effective because it held 5 more rounds.
Square is right on. The Browning Hi-Power was used by both the Axis and Allies. But the most deadly gun in WWII was the German 88mm. Initially designed as an anti-aircraft flax gun, it was deployed on the eastern front as a very effective artillery piece and was responsible for killing millions of Russian solders, tank crews and untold number of civilians.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm given to understand that some German Officers, in the know, were reluctant to keep a Luger, and preferred a Walther P 38, or a Browning GP 35. But pistols for officers were in short supply, throughout the war, so most took whatever they were provided with, or could get their hands on, apparently. Bear in mind an officer's pistol is more a badge of rank, than an effective combat weapon.

As to the best sidearm of WWII, I would opine the 1911, GP 35, P-38, and Tokarev TT-33 were all a dead heat. Most battles, combat, and firefights were fought with rifles, so it's a little hard to call.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,438 Posts
Were German luger pistols the most effective hand gun in World War II?
No! They were not even the most 'effective' Nazi handgun.

Handguns are not effective weapons of war. If they were effective combat weapons they would be issued to Privates and not to Officers. Handguns, when compared to rifles, use an underpowered and short range cartridge. They serve as a badge of authority and as a last ditch weapon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts