National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jesus Saves
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke down and went to the range today. I kept telling myself to hold off because of the ammo shortage, but I broke down. I brought 2 pistols. 9mm EZ and a S&W model 39 (no dash) and have come grips with the fact that I am getting weaker! The 9EZ was fine but I had to truly struggle to rack the model 39, no matter how I tried. 8 years ago I did not have a problem!

The 9mmEZ (post return from S&W) shot well. It took 115gr without any trouble, 124gr pretty well but the 147gr it does not like. I am thinking it is the flat nose on the 147gr and hollow point on the 124gr; although the 124gr hollow is not too bad.

My lesson for the day is this. Accept the fact that I need a pistol that is easy to rack. I am seriously thinking about renting an XDE and see how that works for me and if it does, then hold off till the buying frenzy slows down and trade up to the XDE. Right now the XDE is impossible to find at a decent price.

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
Good to hear you got out. Sunday im planing on some range time. I still need to send my 380 EZ in for the recall too.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Jesus Saves
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a revolver that I truly like - LCR357 but I wanted to replace a 9mm I had and gave away to my son because it was a hard rack. The EZ is nice and easy for me and fits the bill, but I am not confident in it for EDC. I've heard the XDE is 27% easier rack and many people use it for EDC. I love revolvers but just want a semi.

·
Live Free
3,247 Posts
Good you did some shooting! I did some sorta long distance shooting with my CZ455 yesterday, it was fun!
I have been wanting to try an XDE also. While I am not excited about the polymer frame, I have heard good things about them...worthy of trying them out. They are fairly easy to rack from what I understand also, and pretty good shooting pistols. And, of course, they are sa/da hammer fired! I have an XD Mod. 2 sub-compact that shoots great, but I just do not have a great appreciation for polymer and striker; I own a few, but I like steel and hammers better.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Glad to hear you got out and the EZ is running good. It’s hard to trust a gun that has had fits. I’d never trust that 380 I have, though, it seems to run fine now. I can’t recall if I ever tried HPs in either of my EZs. I know the 380 didn’t like the flat nose Winchesters. I really haven’t shot the 9mm EZ since I shot that video. Kind of hoping my wife decides to move up to 9mm so it’s just hanging out in the safe.

They make those XDEs in a couple barrel length. Both my 9mm and .45 are 3.3”. I saw one a guy was carrying a month or so ago in 4.5”. They also have a 3.8” I haven’t seen yet. If I bought another, I think I’d like a 4.5” just for fun (non carry) but at the same time, I’d almost rather pay that money out on another 1911. I’ll have to see when the time comes. Just remember, with the XDE, that first trigger pull if carried locked and loaded is similar to a double action pull on a revolver. The rest are pretty light.

·
Jesus Saves
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm banging my head against the wall. I went back to the range today just to see how it would be if I just used 147gr....after 70 rounds, not one FTF. I decided to try to make it jam. I mixed up 115, 124, 147 and after doing that for about 80 more rounds, not one FTF.

I don't get it, no at all. The ONLY difference is I used some Hoppes Synthetic Oil after cleaning it the last time. Prior to that I was just using Ballistol. We'll see, I just cleaned it again and wiped it with Hoppes. With ammo prices what they are, it may be a short intermission before going back.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Well, as I said in my case of the 380, it was mostly the mags. The new mag never had an issue. It may be possible that the mags are riding the line between functioning properly and not, in which your experience would be hit and miss.

·
AZHerper
4,116 Posts
I broke down and went to the range today. I kept telling myself to hold off because of the ammo shortage, but I broke down. I brought 2 pistols. 9mm EZ and a S&W model 39 (no dash) and have come grips with the fact that I am getting weaker! The 9EZ was fine but I had to truly struggle to rack the model 39, no matter how I tried. 8 years ago I did not have a problem!

The 9mmEZ (post return from S&W) shot well. It took 115gr without any trouble, 124gr pretty well but the 147gr it does not like. I am thinking it is the flat nose on the 147gr and hollow point on the 124gr; although the 124gr hollow is not too bad.

My lesson for the day is this. Accept the fact that I need a pistol that is easy to rack. I am seriously thinking about renting an XDE and see how that works for me and if it does, then hold off till the buying frenzy slows down and trade up to the XDE. Right now the XDE is impossible to find at a decent price.
Unfortunately the only pistol that I can rack is my little KelTec P3AT .380. I've had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand and lack of exercise has atrophied my muscles. However, I still have a light .357 revolver and a .357 lever action pistol (I loaded the 16 ounce P3AT with .38 SPL +P's). Getting old is, indeed a drag!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts