National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been shopping for powder was wasn't able to find any that I needed locally. I live in a fairly small town so not a lot of places to shop here. As it turned out there was a gun show at our convention center. I hadn't been to a gunshow in years though I used to attend them regularly when I lived up in Washington State. Only one vendor had powder and he was asking $60 per pound. Told him I wasn't willing to pay that for powder and the jerk tried telling me that it was selling for that price everywhere. Came really close to calling BS to him right in front of the crowd gathered at his table. He also had primers and was asking $120 per thousand. Noticed that he was selling a couple Mosin Nagants One was an M91/30 which he was asking $599.95 for the other was am M44 he was asking $699.95 for. There was nothing remarkable about either Mosin these were the same Mosins selling for around $150.00 at Big 5 Sporting goods not too long ago. I looked around a little more but didn't end up buying any thing at the gun show. Went home and ordered my powder online. Same powder the guy at gun show was asking $60.00 per pound I bought for $30 per pound online. I did notice that many of the online retailers were sold out of popular powders. I suspect that the gunshow price gougers are buying up the retail supplies.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I attend shows frequently. I simply avoid the gougers… it‘s their right to sell anything they want at any price someone will pay. It just won’t be to me. I don’t confront them. If I don’t like the price… I just move along.

I love going to see the collections of milsurps and other unique guns and accessories that many old farts bring to ‘just show off’. That’s how/where I found the proper bayonet for my Eddystone 1917

We also have a VERY large Iowa vendor that has the lowest prices of anywhere on guns. He shows up and takes about 40 tables… it’s a very big outfit. They do not have a storefront nor sell online. Goes to shows only. Prices so low it puts other gun vendors at the shows at disadvantage. The guy is known to make purchases of hundreds of thousands of dollars of guns at a time from manufacuturers/distributors… Hence the low prices he can offer.

I don’t buy from him because he’s a crabby old jerk… and I prefer to buy my guns from either my LGSs locally or online from LGSs with whom I like doing business. I pay more sometimes but exercise my selective purchasing power :)

I did here he’s retiring and will soon be “done”.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I ended up buying four pounds of powder online when I got home, Had the gouger been asking a reasonable price for his powder I'd most likely have bought those four pounds from him and since there didn't seem to be any available from local retailers he could have most likely sold out of his powder at the gun show had he been reasonable in pricing. As it was I didn't see him selling his powder or anything else. I avoid gougers too but, he was the only one with powder at the show prices on his powder were hidden and I didn't find out the price til after I asked to buy some. It does piss me off when someone tries to feed me a line of BS while price gouging or flat out scamming. Had one guy at a gun show years ago who was trying to palm off an M48 Yugo Mauser as an original German made Nazi issue KAR 98 asking $500.00. He couldn't come up with an explanation for the Yugo Crest stamp when I pointed it out though. At that time the M48 Yugo Mausers were going for around $150.00 at Big 5 Sporting goods

Reactions: Wag

·
Genius in Training
600 Posts
Through a weird I-need-to-get-rid-of-this-deal I recently picked up a pound of Blc(2) for $25, going rate is 40-45.

Found 2 boxes of 1000 small rifle primers, $70 each at scheels.

I have an M91/30 and M44, both in good shape. bought the 91/30 for a little over $200 probly five years ago, and based on gunbroker they are 600-700 now. Just the way the market went. Bought the M44 for $400 the next year, going rate seems to to about $500 now. Both are entirely overpriced, but if that's the way the market is then that's how much I want for mine then too.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've owned a couple of M91/30's and still have an M38 Mosin carbine. Got my first M91/30 for $30 at a gunshow in Oregon many years ago and IIRC I believe I picked up the second one for $50 in a private transaction. Last time I looked the M91/30's were going for around $400.00 on the auction sites. Haven't looked around the auction sites much lately. which is why I thought that $599.99 was outrageous for an M91/30 as was the $699.99 he was asking for the M44.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts