National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Shield on Black Friday and noticed I couldn’t load 7 in the mag (the 8 is fine). Disassembled the mag and looks like i got a dud. That’s mass production for you. Smith says they’re sending another spring in the mail so 10 days to wait on my new gun’s new parts. Not really into going shooting with one single stack mag so that’s a bummer. Ordered some Talon’s and Ameriglo so at least it will all get here at the same time.

Anyway wanted to ask if anyone else had gotten bum mags? Am i just that lucky?

Attachments

· Aim true !
14,169 Posts
Seams SW quality has slacked off lately. Hope now they are back on their own. QC will improve. I had 2 SW semi autos in 9mm and 40. Tried like hell to get them to shoot well for me. Just did not like them. Traded them for a 1911 even up. Also had 2 Taurus ones . A PT111 9MM and PT140 40SW Still have them. Just got a Taurus slim 9mm and it shoots well and is accurate for me.

· Registered
8,212 Posts
Seams SW quality has slacked off lately. Hope now they are back on their own. QC will improve. I had 2 SW semi autos in 9mm and 40. Tried like hell to get them to shoot well for me. Just did not like them. Traded them for a 1911 even up. Also had 2 Taurus ones . A PT111 9MM and PT140 40SW Still have them. Just got a Taurus slim 9mm and it shoots well and is accurate for me.
Gunmaker Smith & Wesson to move distribution center to MO
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/03/gunmaker-smith-wesson-to-move-distribution...
Mar 22, 2019 · Gunmaker Smith & Wesson is closing a Massachusetts distribution facility and moving to Missouri by the end of the year. American Outdoors Brand Corporation, the parent company of Smith & Wesson, announced recently that it will construct a new 600,000 square-foot, $75 million warehouse near Columbia, Mo
They are surly going through some moving pains. That was a big move.

· Registered
17,522 Posts
Is that two springs that never got cut apart and was installed into one mag? If so don't toss it. Just measure the loops on the new mag you get and cut it to the right length and now you'll have 3 mags.

Reactions: Ziggidy

· Registered
396 Posts
S&W's quality control has, indeed, gone down as of late, particularly with their magazines, it seems. I had an SD9 that quickly developed an issue where the slide failed to lock back on an empty mag. The gun itself was fine, but fit and finish on the magazines was poor enough to cause the malfunction.

· Registered
17,522 Posts
S&W's quality control has, indeed, gone down as of late, particularly with their magazines, it seems. I had an SD9 that quickly developed an issue where the slide failed to lock back on an empty mag. The gun itself was fine, but fit and finish on the magazines was poor enough to cause the malfunction.

While i don't know for sure but i would be willing to bet they don't make their own mags. I would doubt many companies if any at all make their own mags, probably just contract work.

Reactions: Levant and Popeye

· Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought my Shield on Black Friday and noticed I couldn’t load 7 in the mag (the 8 is fine). Disassembled the mag and looks like i got a dud. That’s mass production for you. Smith says they’re sending another spring in the mail so 10 days to wait on my new gun’s new parts. Not really into going shooting with one single stack mag so that’s a bummer. Ordered some Talon’s and Ameriglo so at least it will all get here at the same time.

Anyway wanted to ask if anyone else had gotten bum mags? Am i just that lucky?
Well it's been 8 days so looks like I'm going the distance on that 10 days. Still isn't here. I'll just be glad when it's here because I have to go shooting for a certification test this weekend.

· Registered
17,522 Posts
Square, No the Sheild mags are large on bottom and smaller halfway up. The top compresses into the bottom.

Very aware of how the springs in shield mags look, i have 7-8 of them. Yours is bent and it looks longer than it should be but that may be because it's bent. Here is what one is supposed to look like.

Reactions: Stevejet

· Last Stand on Earth
6,322 Posts
S&W semiautos leave much to be desired with quality control. I bought 2x 9mm shields and one had a guide rod bent to hell right out of the box. I received the new guide rod in about a week or so. Didn’t really count the days. It’s a shame. There are better options out there. I still love their revolvers though.

· Aim true !
14,169 Posts
Just in time for your test this weekend. 11 days is a long time for a part though. I sent one of Hi points in for repair. 8 day turnaround time. And they gave the gun a complete workover. Including polishing the feed ramp. And sent a spare mag for my trouble. That was the fastest service i ever received.

· Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got absolutely zero range time this week cause I wasn't taking 150 rounds there with 1 eight round mag and no speed loader. Tomorrow I'm fixing all that. Picking up a Lula and going to the range. Rescheduled the test for next week. Everything is paid for and have my state issued number in the system at the academy so no biggie. It's all ready.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
YES JESUS YES thank you I`ll never have another M/P or Shield Garbage again had two similar issues and of course BLOWN off by S/W support one had externals popping off slide catch/sights and the other had a guide rod crash of course S/W fixed and sent back same issues happen at 3-4 months after service...Nothing had been replaced slapped back together sent out nothing "FIXED" what I call right way...Hate em wont have one and if the LGS "Recommends" I laugh my ass off and show the receipts on the last two...Not only do I feel Taurus does better but then I can show them they get ate-up like a soup sandwich

· Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sucks to hear you had problems. Mine are awesome and I love them. I know mass production can cause issues, so I hope I've got good luck from here. I have a few M&P and they have been flawless for many hundred rounds thus far.

Everyday carry Tool

Trigger

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.