National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this sporterized Ishapore .303 with some weird markings i'm trying to figure out. One side is marked .410 RFI 1931 which doesn't make sense. It shoots .303 not .410 I promise. I'm also pretty sure Ishapores' didn't start getting marked RFI until 1948? I think some were rebuilt to shoot .410 but this definitely shoots .303. The serial numbers on the bolt and rifle don't match but i'm not worried about that and I don't think the flash hider/compensator is original. I'll post pictures of the markings and if you know anything about, I'd appreciate an input.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
The Ishapore Rifle Factory (also known as Ishapore Arsenal) is an Arms manufacturing plant located at Ishapore, in the Indian sub-division of Barrackpore, outside Calcutta in West Bengal.

The first Arms Manufacturing facility on the site was a gunpowder factory, which was started in 1787 and began production in 1791, whilst a Gun & Carriage manufacturing facility was set up nearby in 1801.

In 1904, a Rifle Factory was established at Ishapore, and began production of the Lee-Enfield rifle, which has continued- more or less- until the mid-1980s, and possibly the present. The factory also manufactured the Vickers-Berthier (VB) light machine gun, which was adopted in 1932 by the Indian Army and still remains in reserve use.

Military rifles manufactured at Ishapore pre-1949 are stamped "GRI" on the buttsocket, referring to George Rex, Imperator (i.e. King George VI, last Emperor of India), whilst military rifles manufactured post-1948 are stamped "RFI", which stands for Rifle Factory, Ishapore.

The .303 British calibre Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk III, the 7.62×51mm NATO calibre Ishapore 2A1 rifle, and the 7.62mm NATO L1A1 Self-Loading Rifle were manufactured at the Ishapore Rifle Factory, and the factory now manufactures the 5.56mm INSAS rifle assault rifle for the Indian Army, as well as numerous other weapons like Pistol Auto 9mm 1A and Ghatak 7.62x39mm Assault rifle (an AKM style rifle) for both the military and civilian markets.

The Ishapore Rifle Factory is controlled by the Ordnance Factories Organisation of India. The organisation and the Ordnance Factory Board are notoriously secretive regarding production figures for military rifles, making the exact number of rifles produced at the arsenal almost impossible to determine.

Hope this helps a bit .

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
OK - what you have is a rifle that was assembled from parts from two different rifles. The parts marked .410 are interchangeable with their .303 counterparts. The stock, obviously, is not an original Lee Enfield stock. As for that flash suppressor, I don't think it's original to the rifle. As far as I know only the Mk5 Jungle Carbine's had flash suppressors.

Edit:

I did some checking. That is indeed a Mk5 Jungle Carbine flash suppressor so it's not likely that it was originally on the rifle. Also it appears that the bayonet lug was ground off it. Basically, the rifle is a Bubba creation. Not that it really matters as long as it shoots well.

·
Military Rifle Collector
692 Posts
I would say Will hit it on the head. A rifle that is put togeher from different parts. Not worth anything as a collectable. Only worth the parts that are not bubba-ed.
If it shoots well there you go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts