National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to get a new hunting rifle within the next couple of months, and am mostly considering a Weatherby Vanguard S2. Was wondering, if anyone’s had any experience with them and how they like them. And/or if there’s another you would recommend looking into?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
no experience with the s2......but the vanguard is a good action and had been around a while in one form or another.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Howa made - same barreled action as the How a 1500 but different stocks and sell at a slight premium. Great rifle with a sub-MOA guarantee. The only legitimate critique is that they are a little heavier than comparable price tier rifles such as the Tikka T3 (usually about $100 more) and the T/C Venture, ($50-100 cheaper) Weatherby customer service is excellent.

·
Live Free
2,897 Posts
Howa made - same barreled action as the How a 1500 but different stocks and sell at a slight premium. Great rifle with a sub-MOA guarantee. The only legitimate critique is that they are a little heavier than comparable price tier rifles such as the Tikka T3 (usually about $100 more) and the T/C Venture, ($50-100 cheaper) Weatherby customer service is excellent.
I am not the expert on this, but I thought the Vanguard actions were made to Weatherby specs by Howa, not really the same as the 1500. Either way, Howa makes quality.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I am not the expert on this, but I thought the Vanguard actions were made to Weatherby specs by Howa, not really the same as the 1500. Either way, Howa makes quality.:thumbsup:
To the best of my knowledge they are still being made by Howa and yes Howa makes good stuff.

·
Registered
540 Posts
As far as I know, the Vanguard 2 is the exact same barreled action as the Howa 1500. Parts are certainly interchangeable. Stocks and bedding are different and matter.

·
Live Free
2,897 Posts
As far as I know, the Vanguard 2 is the exact same barreled action as the Howa 1500. Parts are certainly interchangeable. Stocks and bedding are different and matter.
Yeah, I misunderstood some stuff I read a while back. Visually they do seem quite the same with the possible exception being finish. I believe you are right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally I was looking at some Remington 700 variant, or a Winchester xpr if I decided on going with .350 legend. I decided against it because where I hunt, for the time being anyway, the advantage in range it would give me would be moot. I’m not sold on Remingtons reliability (though my 870 is holding up great), so it’s Weatherby for the moment. I asked because other than they exist, I know very little about them.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
I haven't shot a Weatherby in a very long time. They used to be fantastic guns but i honestly have no clue now but respect the opinions above. I do have a Howa and can say it's a very nice rifle and if they are pretty much the same then i guess the Weatherby is equally as nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts