National Gun Forum banner

Warranties

2K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  Speed 
#1 ·
I was wondering how these manufactures can offer a lifetime warranty and then turn around and say we no longer make that product so you warranty is no longer valid. I.O. Inc... AK47's and Nikon Scopes come to mind. How can they stay in business and can you trust any firearms manufacture whom gives a lifetime warranty on anything. PSA comes to mind?

I am not dead yet!
Rick

#5 ·
You mean Ruger, S&W, Remington and a host of others? I have a S&W Elite Gold that came not only with a lifetime warranty, but a lifetime warranty for my listed heir - all worth as much as the paper it is printed on.

#7 ·
The warranty usually refers to a safety issue and not wear and tear. If you send your 1911 back to Colt with ejection issues, they’ll fix it for a fee. It will need the springs and other parts replaced. If it was Something like the safety wasn’t engaging, they would repair it for free. They don’t want the liability of their gun discharging while the safety is supposed to lock.

#8 ·
Sir,
I.O. inc built a bad AKM 47.,,,
The parent company is Royal Tiger Imports. The list of reviews goes on and on. BBB has a file cabinet full on this company.
Nikon, well they said that they could not compete at today's price point, so the just said were done.

We are not talking about a small spring issue, we are talking about the whole darn thing. If you want to talk about service, small company called Hi Point Firearms. I own one of their 45's. It is big, ugly, but; goes bang. You can buy them for $149 to $189 all day long. Lost a spring while cleaning and contacted the company. It was my fault and I was willing to buy a new spring. They sent me out a new one at no cost. They even paid the postage.

I do not think it is to much to ask that a company do what they said they would do to get you to buy their product. I am just an average guy, not a millionaire. I have to save to buy things I want. Again I question how do these people get away with not standing behind Warranty.

#9 ·
PSA is not a manufacturer. Some companies like Ruger do not have a written warranty so they are under no legal obligations. For reasons that you mentioned and people like you.

#12 ·
Sir,

PSA AK-E "MOEkov" if this is not made by PSA whom is it made by. Also below is the Warranty listed on their web site.
FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Palmetto State Armory firearms are covered by an industry leading FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY. This extends beyond the original purchaser. We want the person who bought a great quality firearm at an excellent price to have comfort in knowing that no matter what, the firearm can be fixed at no additional cost.
THIS INCLUDES SHIPPING BOTH WAYS.
We strive for excellence all the way through production and hope customers never have to use this warranty but we also pride ourselves in 99% non-repair/return ratio. It is there for peace of mind so that the consumer can be confident in their purchase. Should the consumer ever need to contact us regarding a repair under the warranty, simply use our contact form or give us a call at (803) 724-6950.
Palmetto State Armory firearms and parts are backed by our Full Lifetime Warranty. Our PSA firearms and parts are warranted to be free from defects in materials and craftsmanship for the serviceable lifetime of the firearm or part.
For the Life of our product
The liability of Palmetto State Armory under this warranty shall be limited solely to the obligation to repair or replace the firearm/part or defect at its discretion, and to pay transportation and insurance charges for return of the firearm to the owner for a rightful warranty claim. This warranty is transferable for the serviceable lifetime of the firearm or part. Modification of firearm will void this warranty. This warranty does not cover normal wear or any damage resulting from careless handling, neglect, repairs and adjustments, corrosion, improper, substandard or defective ammunition.
What we don't cover
Under no circumstances shall Palmetto State Armory be responsible for incidental or consequential damages with respect to economic loss or injury to property, whether as a result of express or implied warranty, negligence or otherwise. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you. Palmetto State Armory will not be responsible for the results of careless handling, unauthorized adjustments, defective, low-quality, reloaded, or improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect, ordinary wear and tear, or unreasonable use.
Initiating a claim
To initiate a Warranty claim, call Palmetto State Armory Customer Service:
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9am - 6pm ESTEmail: Contact Form
  1. Customer service will issue an RMA number to allow for the return of the firearm.
  2. Warranty claims must have this RMA filled out, and included in the box with the firearm or part.
  3. The firearm or part concerned must be shipped using the prepaid label our representative emails to you.
Palmetto State Armory will pay shipping and insurance charges for the return of a firearm or part to its owner or FFL, if the related claim is a proper claim for warranty work. If Palmetto State Armory is unable to fix the original serial number, a new one will be sent out, but must go to an FFL for transfer back to the customer. Another background check will be completed at the time of transfer. Palmetto State Armory is not responsible for transfer fees at the FFL.
DOWNLOAD REPAIR REQUEST FORM

Reply posted by me. A person like me.

#16 ·
I started this by Talking about I.O. inc and Nikon. Somewhere along the way we got off on Ruger and PSA Guns. I replaced my I.O. inc Ak with a PSA AK. I am not sure if it is any good, still I.O. also had in writing a lifetime Warranty, and their AK jam so much it should have never left the factory, Front site post fell out. Sold to pawn shop after I.O. refused to stand behind product. Took a loss on what was supposed to be rock solid. Built in USA by former NASA engineers.
On the other hand, I have a very old Ruger that I have never had a problem with and a couple of Ruger rifles that I have never had a problem with. Understand, I am not one of these people whom can afford to buy one a month. I buy something I want it to last. I try to do as much checking reviews before buying.

#17 ·
I was wondering how these manufactures can offer a lifetime warranty and then turn around and say we no longer make that product so you warranty is no longer valid. I.O. Inc... AK47's and Nikon Scopes come to mind. How can they stay in business and can you trust any firearms manufacture whom gives a lifetime warranty on anything. PSA comes to mind?

I am not dead yet!
Rick
This is where you started talking about PSA.

#20 ·
Sir, I put in PSA because I just purchased a PSA Ak. I am not sure if something goes wrong if they will bail out on the rifle like these other companies. I am more wondering how the ones that are not standing behind their products are staying in business and why someone has not gone after them. I guess I stand corrected and should have not mentioned PSA.

#19 ·
Short of going completely out of business, most companies retain the parts inventory, machinery and expertise to fix warranty claims for decades after the product was discontinued. For example, you can walk into any Ford dealership and still order parts for a decades old Ford 8n tractor. If a part is out of stock, it wouldn't take much for a company to make a short production run to resupply inventory. Granted, each company is different and how much they are willing to stand behind their lifetime warranties varies by individual companies.

One last point, if you are purchasing a product based on the warranty coverage, perhaps you should look at a different product. I purchased my Toyota truck 22 years ago and never had a warranty claim. Quality trumps warranty.

#21 ·
Short of going completely out of business, most companies retain the parts inventory, machinery and expertise to fix warranty claims for decades after the product was discontinued. For example, you can walk into any Ford dealership and still order parts for a decades old Ford 8n tractor. If a part is out of stock, it wouldn't take much for a company to make a short production run to resupply inventory. Granted, each company is different and how much they are willing to stand behind their lifetime warranties varies by individual companies.

One last point, if you are purchasing a product based on the warranty coverage, perhaps you should look at a different product. I purchased my Toyota truck 22 years ago and never had a warranty claim. Quality trumps warranty.
Sir,
I remember a time when cars were so bad that a lemon law was passed. Maybe if we had a lemon law for other products we wouldn't need a warranty at all.

#22 ·
Ok but your issue isn’t with PSA. it’s with IO inc. they are gone, correct? If yes then they are gone. No longer there to address your issues. Royal Tiger didn’t make the gun. RT has no obligation to stand behind IO’s warranty. Why would they stand behind someone else’s product? To be a nice guy? They probably made about $50. on the gun. You want them to repair or replace a gun that could cost them $500- $700.
Palmetto State has a great reputation but isn’t the manufacturer. Your warranty would be with the manufacturer or manufactures of the picked parts that the gun was assembled from. When you buy a S&W- M&P 15, it’s built by S&W and Warranted by S&W. When you buy a gun assembled by picking parts, you may have to deal with every part maker individually. Such is the custom parts gun buying world.

#23 ·
Sir,
First off I.O. inc changed its name from Royal Tiger Imports, the parent company. Now as far as PSA goes, it is my understanding that they are making their own Ak's. They say PSA on the side and they are advertised that way.

The PSAK-47 GF3 was designed from the ground up to be a new standard in AK-47 rifles, utilizing all new precision manufactured parts. Thoroughly tested in development, we tortured tested to 10,000 rounds to ensure a quality product. Not to be satisfied with just a good AK-47, we kept improving and now are proud to announce our PSAK-47 Gen3 Hammer Forged (GF3) rifle with a hammer forged bolt, carrier, and front trunnion.
The 4150 barrel is nitride treated for accuracy and durability and is pressed into a new hammer forged front trunnion to ensure the longevity AK-47s are known for. The hardened steel 1mm receiver features an ALG AKT Enhanced Trigger with Lightning Bow, and side rail mount. The front trunnion and bolt carrier are engraved with GF3 to designate the GF3 hammer-forged model. The rifle is finished with an enhanced aluminum upper & lower handguard with Picatinny top rail, Magpul Zhukov stock, and Magpul AK-47 polymer grip; Rifle ships with 30 round Magpul magazine (where allowed by law).
They are called PSAK-47 they have it on the side of the rifle, if they are not making them, which is possible, who is?

#24 ·
If you have a warranty claim, take it up with PSA and stop wasting our time. If you don't have a warranty claim, you're still wasting our time, so move on.

#29 ·
Like Mad Scientist said, you will do much better buying from reputable companies that sell reliable and dependable firearms. Lots of companies have warranties, not just gun manufacturers, but the warranty is only as good as the company. Ruger, as a positive example, provides no written warranty, but stands behind their guns forever! I have only had one malfunction over forty five years of shooting Ruger firearms, and they quickly and efficiently remedied that for me without a cent out of my pocket. They have also been great for parts on older guns, even offering them free quite often! Others are not so great, Taurus would be an example there. They never did fix the problem with a new gun I purchased, and took forever to tell me there was nothing wrong, according to them...yet the gun never ran properly.

#32 ·
READ THE WARRANTY......if it gets past their disclaimers and they still do not honor the warranty, then...........
go higher up on the food chain in company contacts
contact the BBB
file suit.......

perhaps the govt has not been involved up to this point because there is no apparent deceit, corruption, or fraud that has been committed by PSA that has approached a criminal level that requires a govt investigation.

Reactions: Coalcracker
#33 ·
This is a common thing for any product, not just guns. Most times when a gun company completely folds another place will buy their inventory of parts so you can at least get them, that's not the case for most other products except maybe machinery and vehicles that i know of. Other times another company will buy the name and sometimes in that deal they are required to honor the warranties. Take craftsman for instance. Lowes owns that name now and if you bring back a broken tool made 40 years ago they will replace it. H&R for example was bought by Marlin which was bought by Remington and from what i understand is they will not warranty anything made prior to Marlin buying them but i believe they will still warranty stuff made for the short time Marlin owned the name and produced them. Companies make these warranties in hopes they will be around forever, not that they will go out of business. It's not an intentional thing that happens and if the company is no longer there and liquidated how would you expect them to honor a warranty? maybe the lifetime warranty has a stipulation saying the lifetime of the company too?

#35 ·
[QUOTENow as far as PSA goes, it is my understanding that they are making their own Ak's. They say PSA on the side and they are advertised that way. ][/QUOTE]

Just because their name is on it, doesn't mean they actually made it. S&W's name is on my AKUS-made Elite Gold. Many top-tier Brits put their names on guns mostly made in Italy; no way to really tell in most cases. Most folks making ARs do not make the lower; there's a few companies who crank out the forgings for everyone else.

Reactions: Ziggidy
#37 ·
Strangely enough, warrantys and guarantees aren't strictly regulated. Basically, you have to learn whom you can trust, in any given business, firearms included.

That said, S&W, Colt, and many others should be embarrassed, that supposedly lowly Hi-Point shames them all, with their warranty, which is second to NONE, in the business. When the discussion comes up, about "what would be your choice firearm", my reply is "an FN rifle, with a Hi-Point warranty..." .

#40 ·
I have never had to send a gun in either. Of course i do buy many old used guns but i also have a decent amount of newer stuff as well. I know a few people who have had to send it guns and one company always sticks in my head as being fantastic. Ruger hands down has the best warranty service i have ever heard anyone talk about. I know a guy who sent a redhawk back that he bought used and the problem was because of something he did(can't recall what it was now) and they fixed it no questions asked. The gun was made in 1980 or 81 right when they started making them too and he sent it back maybe 3 years ago? Can't beat that. At one time Remington was the same way but sadly that's not the case anymore.

#39 ·
The thread is around here if you’d like to dig for it but without going into detail I had a way less than stellar warranty experience with CZ when I had a corrosion issue with a brand new matte CZ75b. It took nearly 6 months to get resolved and I had to get the CEO of CZ USA involved.

#41 · (Edited)
Non gun, RCBS is the same way - parts for free forever...............................broke a decapping pin in my 35 year old 38 sizing die; called them and they sent me a pack of 6 for free. Handled in 2 minutes on the phone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.