National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you clicked into the thread by poojayak, the new member fro Indiana, in the New Members Introduction forum, YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND ALL THE EMAIL ADDRESSES IN YOUR FRIENDS LIST HAVE BEEN HARVESTED!

ALL MEMBERS: DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAILS PURPORTEDLY SENT TO YOU FROM NGF MEMBERS!

MSN mail (Outlook) correctly identifies these emails as spam.

If you had Malwarebytes running, your information was not harvested.

·
53,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I received one from "MikeWeber @ midnewjerseypeds.com" (That's not his email address but its his name).

Be very,very careful!

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,865 Posts
You mean if we just read it and didn't reply and then left the page that this happened to our emails?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thanks for the heads up alas a bit late. That Poojayak claimed to be from India not Indiana. I opened that thread this morning but I did not click on any links in the thread. My malwarebytes recently expired looks like I better renew it ASAP.

·
53,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean if we just read it and didn't reply and then left the page that this happened to our emails?
Yes. Merely opening the thread activated the email harvester.

Your board staff bans eight to ten of these criminals a week. This one got through.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I just renewed my Malwarebytes subscription and am now running a full scan. Hopefully this will find and quarantine the code used by the email harvester.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,974 Posts
Thank you for the heads up Popeye!

I don't remember if I opened the thread or not. Old age, I guess. However since I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium, I figure I should be okay. The MAM's scan came up with zero threats.

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
I hate these F#^%ers. There's nothing tha's too bad that can happen to them. I can't remember either if I clicked ingot the thread. I know I didn't click the link if I did. I seldom click links. I got a PM from a member about the thread but by the time I got back to the computer Popeye had already taken care of it.

Alan

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,974 Posts
Hey Popeye,

You stated that, "Your board staff bans eight to ten of these criminals a week.", can y'all tell where they are from? As in, are they from Russia, India, Nigeria, etc.? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I can't remember either if I clicked ingot the thread. I know I didn't click the link if I did.
The thread posted by Poojayak didn’t have any links in it. Just a fairly long post that didn’t really say anything. The type of post that keyword spammers use, in which they have particular keywords imbedded throughout the post. That was my impression of the thread. These days you don’t necessarily have to click a link in order for them to tag your computer.
Seems that particular thread had more than imbedded keywords, after a scan I ended up removing 335 malicious scripts from my computer that were attached to that thread.

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
Old computer here (Still on the back up) and acnt even long on to get emails for starters. Might need to purchase a new one its so bad. Spammers, computer viruses, suck and cost us a heck of a lot of money nd they laugh. This might be my third computer if they computer guys r not able to repair it.
Spammers need to be...insert your own. They mainly come from Asia n c%^$# hole countries.

Besides, is this really Popeye?

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
I received one from "MikeWeber @ midnewjerseypeds.com" (That's not his email address but its his name).

Be very,very careful!
Why does "Mike Weber" sound familiar?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The email Popeye received was one of those mass forwarded type emails. Some of the other parties in the list of recipients were mutual friends of mine and Popeyes and he recognized their names and email addresses. That's how he knew that my email address book had been compromised.

·
Administrator
398 Posts
Hey all

We've read over this thread and done some digging, including running scans on our forum and specifically that thread. It is not pulling up anything.

Has anyone else been reporting any funny email issues?

Dayle

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
Theres Mike :) ....new his name sounded familiar

·
53,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Popeye,

You stated that, "Your board staff bans eight to ten of these criminals a week.", can y'all tell where they are from? As in, are they from Russia, India, Nigeria, etc.? Just curious.
Ninety nine percent of them are located in India.

·
53,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The thread posted by Poojayak didn’t have any links in it. Just a fairly long post that didn’t really say anything. The type of post that keyword spammers use, in which they have particular keywords imbedded throughout the post. That was my impression of the thread. These days you don’t necessarily have to click a link in order for them to tag your computer.
Seems that particular thread had more than imbedded keywords, after a scan I ended up removing 335 malicious scripts from my computer that were attached to that thread.
The harvester was located in the signature line. I deleted it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
This is some serious stuff! After picking up this malware yesterday I've been notified that unauthorized transactions have been made on my credit card this morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts