National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Winchester model 94 pre-1964 for an early Christmas present.so, I want to put a scope on it for hunting; and i don't know where to get the right mounts for it. thus, i turned to the forums

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,623 Posts
Pre 1964 Winchester 94s are not drilled and tapped for scope bases. Since they use a top eject ejection they are poor candidates for a scope.

The maximum effective range of a .30-30, for the majority of shooters, is 100 yards. The majority of deer taken in this country are taken at ranges of less than 100 yards. Even at my advanced age and with my "old" eyes I do not use a scope on my .30-30 rifles.

Pre '64 Winchester 94s have collector value, especially one in as good condition as you report yours is in. Drilling and tapping the receiver for a scope base/bases destroys this collector value.

A gunsmith must do the drilling and tapping. This adds cost. The top eject will throw spent brass against the scope, or scope base, every time the lever is activated. This raises the possibility of the spent case ricocheting back into the action, causing a jam.

I advise leaving your rifle just the way it is and enjoying it the way it was designed to be used.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm... ok i don't think i will put a scope on it then, if it would need all that. but i will slip on a but pad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts