National Gun Forum banner

want to get started in reloading

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  noylj 
#1 ·
So I'm new to reloading I'm going to get a progressive press because it fits my shooting habits best. Right now I'm looking at the Dillon rl550b but when I'm looking at the website they have so many different options for accessories and i just don't know where to start. What would be best reloading equipment ant must have to get started. I planning on reloading both handgun and rifle calibers but I'm not trying break bank so trying to not to get all the useless things. Also is the rl550b a good choice or should i look at something else keep in mind i shoot around 300-600 rounds a week so i really need a progressive press over the other options. Also i seen the carbide dies are they worth the extra cost if so should i just get them for rifle calibers or get them for both handgun and rifle calibers.

#2 ·
Welcome and you have chosen the rig that I chose as well. May I recommend you go to Brianenos.com he is sponsored by Dillon and sells for the same prices but his website has recommendations and packages built for beginners and will show you what all you may need. Yes you need the carbide dies.

I would give you more details and I am sure others will chime in. I will come back later after my range session today and see how it's going but that is a good place to start. Gotta run.

Reactions: unbidmike
#3 ·
I started with a progressive, but it is easier if you start with a single stage to get familiar with the basics of reloading. I say this because I had to play catch-up when I started with a progressive and had all kinds of questions and problems because I was a beginner, if you know somebody that can help you it would be easier, however if you don't it will probably be trail and error for you when you get started. but you will survive most likely, just read your load books and read them again, use safety and wear safety glasses, you are already choosing a good company in my opinion. the 550 is good and the carbine dies are the best IMO, but go with the XL650, it will load a lot of rounds, that's what I use and its great.

#4 ·
People do learn on progressives. Just be patient and use your head, follow the directions, etc. A progressive is pretty complicated but definitely doable if you don't rush it at first.

Also, the carbide dies are WELL worth the extra money. I'd hate to have to lube up 600 cases a week. Ugh.

--Wag--

#5 ·
thanks for the responses

ill defiantly have to check out that website larry thanks. wag i will have to take it slow but i got a week to load 600 rounds so i can do like 150 a day at a slow pace until i get the hang of the machine. bob/mo i figured id make lots of errors but ill learn. is the xl650 really worth the extra money?

#8 ·
ill defiantly have to check out that website larry thanks. wag i will have to take it slow but i got a week to load 600 rounds so i can do like 150 a day at a slow pace until i get the hang of the machine. bob/mo i figured id make lots of errors but ill learn. is the xl650 really worth the extra money?

for the amount you want to load, yes the 650 is worth it because it auto indexes and the 550 you have to manually index it, they are both pricey, the darn accessories are what cost. Wag has a go point watch the you tube video's, just don't watch the one with the guy drinking bourbon while he explains the machine. if you get the 650, pm me and I will give you some good tips....have fun

#6 ·
At the rate you wish to reload, the price difference is a blip in your cash flow.

If you have no reloading experience, I highly recommend finding a mentor to get you going. Save you a lot of trial and error, time, and possibly fingers or eyeballs, as well.

#9 ·
Wag gave you some great advice and there are a bunch of them, some good some bad but they will help a lot.

With Dillon machines everything is in the adjustments. If it's not smooth it's not right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.