National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NRA Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a PPK and it was made by Interarms in VA. I thought I was getting slide bite because right above the web between my thumb and index finger was getting cut. The problem was the deburing at the factory was awful. I used a cheep takeoff of a dremel and ground down the sharp edges and problem solved. I then used a cream to reblue the bare surfaces. It worked out great.
Anyone out there that has had a similar problem?

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
Why did you keep it and not send it back?

·
NRA Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interarms Inc. closed in the 90's I think. I bought it from the original owner in a private sale. It is my only firearm that I now own. I love it and it shoots very well. It took a little work but it's just what I wanted. Easy to conceal and carry. I don't know if S&W still makes them or not. All I know is I'm happy with it.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
Interarms Inc. closed in the 90's I think. I bought it from the original owner in a private sale. It is my only firearm that I now own. I love it and it shoots very well. It took a little work but it's just what I wanted. Easy to conceal and carry. I don't know if S&W still makes them or not. All I know is I'm happy with it.
Long as you're comfortable with the firearm and love it. I did some looking up because I think Interarms is OK, have a 50 cal black powder of theirs. But honestly, what I've read was it's better than the S&W that's made from it. What I've read ranges from great to it's OK. But if there is no problem with it firing and it shoots everytime you pull that trigger than it's a good gun. I don't know enough about it to comment on if it's a good carry piece and reliable enough.

I'm curious, what cream blues?

Congratulation and enjoy your new gun!

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
I used to carry an Interarms PPK/S and the web slice was endemic with those models. It was supposed to be fixed in the later models but could be dealt with by a careful hold.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I bought one for my ex wife once upon a time, and while she loved to shoot it, it would only function properly with a single brand of ammo. Everything else it would jam every couple shots. She finally sold it after we split, I heard.

·
NRA Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oxpho-blue by Brownells is the bluing cream I used and it worked great. For $ 13.00 I didn't get hurt to much and I have enough for a lifetime.

·
NRA Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta say it fires most ammo with very few problems. When I load it for carry I use ammo that I can count on. Also like I said before after smoothing the sharp edges and bluing the polished areas. I bought it from the original owner and he only fired two clips through it and put it away, wet and it rusted a little but I fixed it. It only cost 300. when I bought it with all the stuff that came with it from the factory. It may be on the lower end of what people will carry for self defense but it will sail through 4" of wood with no problem. I'm happy.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
oxpho-blue by Brownells is the bluing cream I used and it worked great. For $ 13.00 I didn't get hurt to much and I have enough for a lifetime.
I did some searches on it. It looks pretty good from what everyone says. I couldn't find anything on how long it lasts. Do you know how long it lasts and the results seem to be pretty much the same as bringing it to a gunsmith. I have parts on my 10/22 I would like to do.

·
NRA Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not know how long the bluing cream will last. It looks like the rest of the bluing on other parts of my PPK and looks much better than bare metal.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
If I use it, I'd like to know how long it lasts. But maybe someone has some on one for awhile...

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
More than likely, Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is what your gunsmith uses for touchups.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
More than likely, Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is what your gunsmith uses for touchups.
Have you used this? Would you endorse it? If so, I would use it at that point.

·
54,923 Posts
Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is as good as any other 'cold blue'. It might be better than most. When using any 'cold blue' the most important thing is to read and EXACTLY follow the instructions.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is as good as any other 'cold blue'. It might be better than most. When using any 'cold blue' the most important thing is to read and EXACTLY follow the instructions.
They on;y have cream left in 16 ozs. Is that OK to use then? I'm thinking of bluing up my 1917... I won't blue up the 1917 rifle though...

·
54,923 Posts
Sixteen ounces is an awful lot unless you plan on going into gun refinishing business. :biggrin5:

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
Sixteen ounces is an awful lot unless you plan on going into gun refinishing business. :biggrin5:
No, but I do have a bunch I can/should do that don't mean the same as the 1903. The 1903 I sent out and had done - it was perfect! Others are just for fun, so can start doing them. With that said, I'll go with the 8 ounces! LOL

Is the cream or liquid better?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts