National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Walther P38 1944 war vintage and need a firing pin spring. The firing pin is the flat type (WW2 vintage) rather than round type...
the spring needs to be the type that has the extension toward the rear of the gun, not the extension folded over the coiled spring itself.
this spring extension holds the cartridge indicator part down. Can't find it anywhere online. All help would be appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
the gun was missing a firing pin and spring when i got it in the 60s from my dad.
i recently bought a replacement firing pin (& wrong firing pin spring) and a safety catch and recoil springs online

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks but both links have the wrong firing pin spring... where the extension is folded over the coiled spring.
most exploded parts drawings of war vintage
show the correct spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i also posted the above on the gunsmithing forum which probably where it should have gone in first place... i'm new here

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup .... that spring is for post war p38.... i'll try to find picture of what i'm looking for ... but it would be with that extension thingy rotated ccw about 120 degrees...
i actually bought this pictured part and tried to bend it around yesterday, but broke it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks aged ... good news that link had 2x of correct spring... bad news they were sold on ebay in 2013... i'll keep looking.
also i grew up in south central iowa

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
thanks aged ... good news that link had 2x of correct spring... bad news they were sold on ebay in 2013... i'll keep looking.
also i grew up in south central iowa
Ah! I did not dig that far...sorry for the weak lead. Good luck with finding that spring. I am wondering if it might be easier to have a spring made...either way probably pricey.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i might be able to get away without using it... a simple straight spring for firing pin might work... but not sure if cartridge indicator would be stable...
might just remove it.
would like to shoot this couple times / year... my dad brought it home from ww2, removed the firing pin, and let us kids play with it as a toy

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
A neat pistol to own with family history...yeah it would be nice to have it running. I just noticed your other thread ( I am awake!), maybe if you can get the spring pic posted, how about a pic of the pistol too? I will leave this thread and go to the other thread too from here on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
p38 firing pin spring.jpg

2 is the firing pin spring (note shape) which slips on to 10 the firing pin.
note the extension on 2 that fits over the top of 8 the cartridge indicator.
all i have now is 2 with the extension broken off (it may still work).
i'll post actual gun pics later.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Oh and welcome to the forum Mark.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Nice gun, :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts