National Gun Forum banner

61 - 80 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I see people in military battle uniforms every day, I live close to Ft Brag they are not allowed to carry IIRC while in uniform. I don't find them scary or does it cause paranoia. I am more worried about crazy people who stare at other people, make rude comments, or appear to be bothered by law abiding people. IMO anybody can be armed, and if those filled with hate and are mentally ill are dangerous. Since most people with mental illness are not known they can get conceal carry permits, and time after time they use their guns and permits illegally. Yes I am worried about people who have an irrational fear of law abiding citizens with no facts to back it up.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Anyway, to set the record straight on Wally World, I offer:

As of September 2019, we have discontinued the sale of:

handguns, which were previously sold only in our Alaska stores
ammunition for handguns
ammunition for short-barrel rifles such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large-capacity clips on military-style weapons
ammunition like the .300 Blackout, 7.62x.39 and .224 Valkyrie

Who Can Buy Firearms and Ammunition at Walmart
In February 2018, we announced our decision to sell firearms and ammunition only to individuals who are 21 and older.

Walmart only sells a firearm after receiving a “green light” on a background check. This goes beyond federal law, which only requires the absence of a “red light” after a three-business day waiting period. We require a “green light,” regardless of the time period.

Selling Firearms Responsibly
Walmart takes steps above and beyond what is required by law to sell firearms in a responsible way, including:

videotaping the point of sale for firearms;
allowing only select associates who have passed a criminal background check to sell firearms;
conducting regular associate training;
performing inventory audits; and
securing firearms in a locking case, among other important measures.

Walmart associates who are authorized to sell firearms are specifically trained on all firearm policies and procedures. Associates who fail to follow the policies and procedures are subject to discipline, up to and including termination.

Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety.

We have committed to work alongside other retailers to make the overall industry safer, including sharing our own best practices. This system navigates tens of millions of possible combinations of federal, state and local laws, regulations and licensing requirements that come into effect based on where a firearm is sold and who is purchasing. We hope that freely sharing this information will help more retailers sell firearms in a responsible, compliant manner.

Open Carry of Firearms
Motivated by our desire to create a safe environment in our stores and clubs, we request that customers no longer openly carry firearms into Walmart or Sam’s Club locations in states where open carry is permitted — unless they are authorized law enforcement. As of September 2019, we are working to create and display new signage to help communicate this policy.

We will continue to follow state and local laws regarding concealed carry permit holders.

Last updated: September 3, 2019

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
the general public public in day to day life adhere to the simple rule......out of sight/out of mind.......a lot of the public is clueless to handgun oc as to be honest a lot of the public does not pay attention....they are in "code white" and are in their own little world. Some will notice..., but not the majority........no panic hysteria.

CC folks worry about a gun flashing or printing......again, the public is clueless for the most part and the concerns about flashing or printing is over-blown in my opinion. A gun person might take note....but not the majority of non-gun folks.

open carry of a long gun amounts to waving a flag that screams look at me, it draws attention, it gets noticed by everyone immediately as the ninja sticks out like a sore thumb.

the thing is with the ban of open carry.......it will address the long gun carry......but it is going to take the oc of handguns down the tubes with it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Before LG open carry became more widespread the CC community attacked the OC of handguns the same if not more. I mind my own business, and assume everybody is armed, normal acting LG OC is of no concern as I am aware that most gun crimes are committed by those conceal carrying. Shootings with long guns are a very small percentage of shootings, even less than hammers, and knives. I find the paranoia of firearms by people with firearms disturbing, IMO hoplophobia is a mental disorder.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
long gun carry is not wide spread......it has been legal in Texas long before CC was permitted. It is....dare i say it.....ABNORMAL. No one did it. Then chl came to be and there was a boon in carry.

That is simply a matter of gun owners not wanting to
1. make waves
2. drawing attention
3. handguns are.....handy.......when compared to a long gun.

now suddenly it seems fashionable to parade a long gun in public. Stories of rallies here, showing up at a protest there......lights, camera, action!!!! they are on the six o'clock news and the public and a lot of gun owners are wondering why....in a time when the public is still reeling from mass shooting and panic....

·
Registered
564 Posts
long gun carry is not wide spread......it has been legal in Texas long before CC was permitted. It is....dare i say it.....ABNORMAL. No one did it. Then chl came to be and there was a boon in carry.

1. make waves
2. drawing attention

now suddenly it seems fashionable to parade a long gun in public. Stories of rallies here, showing up at a protest there......lights, camera, action!!!! they are on the six o'clock news and the public and a lot of gun owners are wondering why....in a time when the public is still reeling from mass shooting and panic....
I only care if it is carried legally, and safely. I am more concerned with criminals, or armed people with mental health issues, fear of guns is one of them. That fear does not usually stop them from carrying concealed firearms themselves.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
there are far more honest citizens in this Country right now that are in fear of long gun carry than there are loons and criminals in fear of it. And these citizens are spooked.....and they are voters.

i am hearing way too many comments in the cafe and at the coffee shop that is more and more negative about the long guns....and this in a strong rural republican county. We had a license to carry class recently and the citizens......30 of them in ages from probably 25 to 80 were amazed that the open carry of rifles and shotguns was legal in Texas with no permit required. many murmers and comments as they thought this was insane. This class was put together a few weeks after the el paso episode. These were indeed little old ladies, fudds, and the new to gun carry crowd. They far out-number the hard 2A core and will never be hard core 2A and most will likely never join the NRA......but they will vote. The El Paso episode drove them to take the class.

now the odessa episode has happened and that is a couple of counties away. There will be a 2nd class probably in oct.

·
Registered
91 Posts

1. make waves
2. drawing attention

I only care if it is carried legally, and safely. I am more concerned with criminals, or armed people with mental health issues, fear of guns is one of them. That fear does not usually stop them from carrying concealed firearms themselves.
Your opinion doesn't matter though. You are in the minority on this issue.

What you're not understanding is that the issue with walking into a store with a long gun or even a pistol on your hip that is open carried scares the hell out of a lot of people. Does it scare the hell out of you? Apparently not. Does it scare the hell out of me. Not at all. It certainly draws my attention because I used to carry a gun for a living, but I would hardly call that an irrational fear.

The problem lies in the notion that the people that are not a fan of this behavior (which is the majority of people) can vote.

The more Mall ninjas we have walking around scaring people, the more likely it's going to result gun control proposals that have nothing to do with Mall ninjas. You see, when the media paints gun owners to be a bunch
of are irresponsible idiots, walking around all tacticool to get attention just proves their point to the people they're trying to convince....... the middle.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The only opinion that matters is mine, not any majority. At this point the majority want to take all your guns. Turn them in ASAP!

BTW the US is a Republic, the constitution is not based on mob rule. It's disturbing to see gun owners who fall into the mob rule mind set.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Your opinion doesn't matter though. You are in the minority on this issue.

What you're not understanding is that the issue with walking into a store with a long gun or even a pistol on your hip that is open carried scares the hell out of a lot of people. Does it scare the hell out of you? Apparently not. Does it scare the hell out of me. Not at all. It certainly draws my attention because I used to carry a gun for a living, but I would hardly call that an irrational fear.

The problem lies in the notion that the people that are not a fan of this behavior (which is the majority of people) can vote.

The more Mall ninjas we have walking around scaring people, the more likely it's going to result gun control proposals that have nothing to do with Mall ninjas. You see, when the media paints gun owners to be a bunch
of are irresponsible idiots, walking around all tacticool to get attention just proves their point to the people they're trying to convince....... the middle.
You see, when the public sees first-hand ...

All of the shooters, victims, survivors have a wide circle of "Friends," (on social media) that consume eye-witness reports, citizen reporting via phone video, etc.

While MSM shifts to the next story, social media drives the narrative for months on end. THAT'S the people who vote.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
gun owners are not falling into mob rule because they disagree with a gun issue...........as i said earlier, this is coming down to a "for us or against us" line of thinking that has spread thru this society and will cause in-fighting in the gun community. Not everyone will agree on the issues be it oc of long guns, handguns, CC, ex-felons and gun possession, background checks, red flag laws (the latest fad). etc. etc......

just because some gun owners disagree with oc of long guns and are concerned about the potential negative effects does not make them members of mob rule involving gun control.

·
Registered
564 Posts
gun owners are not falling into mob rule because they disagree with a gun issue...........as i said earlier, this is coming down to a "for us or against us" line of thinking that has spread thru this society and will cause in-fighting in the gun community. Not everyone will agree on the issues be it oc of long guns, handguns, CC, ex-felons and gun possession, background checks, red flag laws (the latest fad). etc. etc......

just because some gun owners disagree with oc of long guns and are concerned about the potential negative effects does not make them members of mob rule involving gun control.
You posted that I was in the minority, the majority imposing their will on the minority is mob rule.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just what does this mean? In my state, I am authorized by the constitution to open carry, which the police need to follow and enforce.

• "It’s also asking shoppers to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where “open carry” is allowed, unless they are authorized law enforcement officers."
More of "the only ones".

·
Registered
629 Posts
discontinue all sales of handgun ammunition and sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition

So no more 9mm? 380?? 40?? Nothing but shotgun? Wait til someone uses a shotgun, then that will be gone too. So much for cheap ammo.
All that's left is to ban Internet sales of ammunition and ammunition becomes virtually unavailable.

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
You posted that I was in the minority, the majority imposing their will on the minority is mob rule.
And it's called Democracy which is why the FF set up a Republic; but since no one teaches civics any more - probably because no one knows what it is - many folks confuse the two.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
check the definition and meaning of mob rule...........it is based in lawlessness and disregards govt authority and law.

a majority does not mean mob rule nor does it mean they will join in on mob rule........and a minority is not an automatic victim of persecution because a majority disagrees......

·
Registered
629 Posts
Now your stretching, all criminal use of firearms are displayed, show me where open carriers have been involved in crime, or where they have been victims of crime. Conceal carry has always been, and probably always will be the choice of criminals and violent nut cases. Almost all mass shooters have had issues with hate with no valid reason for it. So forgive if I do not trust any crazy hate filled conceal carrier with a permit that thinks it's a license to kill, especially ones that a particular hatred of open carriers.
I'm not going to google it for you but there have been cases of open-carriers having their gun taken from them and even cases where their gun was taken and used on them. Just like in Gunsmoke: when the bad guy draws first and points his gun, you're going to give yours up. In fact, there have been cases where even cops have had their gun taken in the same way.

It doesn't mean you should or shouldn't open carry; people just need to know the risks.

In the first 100 years of our history, the concealed gun was largely considered the tool of gamblers and thieves.

I very, very, seldom open carry but I believe that, in the end, it is open carry that will save us. People need to learn that seeing a gun is not the same as seeing a gun pointed at them. When everyone in the room is open carrying, bad guys will not pull their guns and start shooting.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
I see people in military battle uniforms every day, I live close to Ft Brag they are not allowed to carry IIRC while in uniform. I don't find them scary or does it cause paranoia. I am more worried about crazy people who stare at other people, make rude comments, or appear to be bothered by law abiding people. IMO anybody can be armed, and if those filled with hate and are mentally ill are dangerous. Since most people with mental illness are not known they can get conceal carry permits, and time after time they use their guns and permits illegally. Yes I am worried about people who have an irrational fear of law abiding citizens with no facts to back it up.
Battle uniforms? With back packs, night vision, helmets, armour, etc.?

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
I'm not going to google it for you but there have been cases of open-carriers having their gun taken from them and even cases where their gun was taken and used on them. Just like in Gunsmoke: when the bad guy draws first and points his gun, you're going to give yours up. In fact, there have been cases where even cops have had their gun taken in the same way.

It doesn't mean you should or shouldn't open carry; people just need to know the risks.

In the first 100 years of our history, the concealed gun was largely considered the tool of gamblers and thieves.

I very, very, seldom open carry but I believe that, in the end, it is open carry that will save us. People need to learn that seeing a gun is not the same as seeing a gun pointed at them. When everyone in the room is open carrying, bad guys will not pull their guns and start shooting.
I'm a retired Internet investigator for several law firms.

I wouldn't Google it either because there's nothing there of any account.

No one keeps those statistics.

IMHO we need to learn that we are a gunners and almost no one else in America is. We're in the minority.

All of us can (and do) teach by example. I conceal. If caught, which has happened only twice, I educate very quietly with a smile that, "It's OK. I'm licensed and trained. Sorry about the show. It was not intentional."

I wait for questions. There have been none. We move on.

61 - 80 of 163 Posts