National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember well the Open Carry Texas movement going on and on about open carry. In 2016, when open carry was finally allowed, a few people, mostly in rural areas, did just that at first, but (I live in Texas) very few people take advantage for obvious reasons.

Just as licensed people in Texas can choose to open carry, businesses can opt out.

I have never open carried, so I'm OK with it. I always thought open carry was a dumb idea.

That's just me.

Walgreens (WBA), CVS (CVS) and Wegmans announced the new policy Thursday afternoon, following announcements from Walmart (WMT) and Kroger (KR) on Wednesday.

"We support the efforts of individuals and groups working to prevent gun violence, and continually review our policies and procedures to ensure our stores remain a safe environment," CVS said in a statement.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I expect after the handicap parking murder at a convenience store they soon will be banning concealed carry. Does not bother me I considered CC sneaky to begin with, and a bunch of Don Johnson wannabes.(Sarcasm) Maybe...

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I like my Vertx EDC Transit Sling more and more.
Nobody can tell that I have G26 with 31-rd mag in this absolutely non-tactical looking bag.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,898 Posts
I don't shop at CVS or Walgreens. Their drug prices are too @%@#% high.

We use an Android app called "Blink" which shows the lowest drug prices at our local area pharmacies.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
We support the efforts of individuals and groups working to prevent gun violence, and continually review our policies and procedures to ensure our stores remain a safe environment," CVS said in a statement.
So how does good guys carrying NOT ensure a safe environment. The druggie bad guys will be carrying concealed all the way to the drug counter.

Reactions: BigNastyCowboy

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
I don't shop at CVS or Walgreens. Their drug prices are too @%@#% high.

We use an Android app called "Blink" which shows the lowest drug prices at our local area pharmacies.
Sam's Club with my wife's insurance for me

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how does good guys carrying NOT ensure a safe environment. The druggie bad guys will be carrying concealed all the way to the drug counter.
Around here, the druggie bad guys use stolen vans to smash and grab pharmaceuticals. Most pharmacies have barriers to guard against this.

It's actually less risk to buy off the street.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I remember well the Open Carry Texas movement going on and on about open carry. In 2016, when open carry was finally allowed, a few people, mostly in rural areas, did just that at first, but (I live in Texas) very few people take advantage for obvious reasons.

Just as licensed people in Texas can choose to open carry, businesses can opt out.

I have never open carried, so I'm OK with it. I always thought open carry was a dumb idea.

That's just me.
and that is why Texas has the 30.07 signage for businesses..........to opt out open carry..........and i am expecting many more to follow....

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and that is why Texas has the 30.07 signage for businesses..........to opt out open carry..........and i am expecting many more to follow....
I'm a photographer and I've been avoiding the heat.

I have been promising myself to drive around to churches, Walmarts, Krogers, CVS and Walgreens and others to see if there's an epidemic of 30.07.

I do see where businesses have clunky hand-made signs that comply with regulation (letters 1" high, contrasting fore/background, repeated in Spanish, etc.) until they can get professional signs.

I'll bet the sign stores are happy.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
i do believe i have seen 30.07 at whataburger........definately at starbucks and Target. have read kroger grocery is banning open carry. Saw a blurb that Wendy's will ban oc but have not confirmed it.......

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not one of these stores can offer a single case where a legal open-carrier ever committed a crime in their stores. More ridiculously useless rules to solve non-existent problems and nothing at all that actually helps solve problems.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
but they do not have to prove anything........the law simply allows them to opt out of oc under the rights of the property owner........and the political tide is apparently changing on oc.......

they are trying to view it as a win/wn and doing the politically expedient thing. On one hand they can say they are actively doing something highly visible in banning oc that will appease those whom are alarmed especially in today's climate. On the other hand, they can claim supportive of the 2a by still permitting concealed carry.

and most of all.......these outfits just received nation-wide advertising in print, radio, and tv and have associated themselves as creating a safer environment....they are getting this advertisement and public PRAISE by the media while the little old ladies and fudds at home nod their head in agreement.......talk about a big plum in advertising..........facts about oc be damned, data be damned, proof be damned.......it is all about visibility and perception of the non-gun carry public that vastly out-numbers oc and cc combined.

more high profile mass shootings will only continue to promote this.

Reactions: Levant

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not one of these stores can offer a single case where a legal open-carrier ever committed a crime in their stores. More ridiculously useless rules to solve non-existent problems and nothing at all that actually helps solve problems.
Nor can they point to crimes committed in the presence of an OCer.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Can someone for the love of God tell me how conceal carry vs open carry makes a store safer.
The damn gun is still there!
.............as i said, its not about facts or stats.........its all about visibility and perception.....

to which i have said before.....out of sight/out of mind....the public merrily goes along in code white and oblivious to concealed carry

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Appreciate that licensed gunners are in the minority.

People are gun shy (see what I did there), given the recent high-profile shootings. Fear is often not rational. People who are not licensed gunners, out and about with their children, are not comfortable with guns on display.

That describes the motivation. Stores are not stating that their property will be safer if OC is not allowed. They are saying, "Come see us. You'll FEEL better not seeing guns in our store."

It's a business decision. They have that right.

I'm glad that most stores allow conceal carry and I hope licensed gunners shut up before that privilege is revoked.

People who are not licensed can just stay out of the way.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can someone for the love of God tell me how conceal carry vs open carry makes a store safer.
Criminals/inmates have said in prison studies that they fear armed citizens, but they have to know their armed to avoid them. It is the other reason nut cases pick gun free zones, again conceal carry looks just like a gun free zone.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
How the world has changed.
When I was a kid and we saw someone with a gun, we would go up to them and say Mr. that's a cool gun can I see it?
Now when a kid sees a gun they go running off screaming like it is going to jump out of the holster and get them.
I am getting too old for this crap.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How the world has changed.
When I was a kid and we saw someone with a gun, we would go up to them and say Mr. that's a cool gun can I see it?
Now when a kid sees a gun they go running off screaming like it is going to jump out of the holster and get them.
I am getting too old for this crap.
I never had kids, but I used to be one 'til the bastids kicked me out due to age restrictions.

I recall those days. It was all about hunting and plinking. People didn't carry for self defense because cheap handguns were carried in a tackle box to kill water moccasins and stuff.

I don't recall a mass shooting when I was a kid and a young lad in my teens, but I also was busy hunting and fishing and didn't pay any attention to the adult world.

What with technology, it's impossible to separate kid stuff from adult, especially when gun violence includes kids that other kids know and stuff.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Yes, the gun still there, but the rule is designed to appease soccer moms, members of "Moms demand action", "snowflakes" and those who are afraid of a piece of metal. In other words, it is designed to appease idiots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts