National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ATF flap over the Honey Badger, in part due to the folding arm brace, is now a good time to buy one? Or should I wait until the ATF fiasco is settled? I have a Ruger PC Charger that needs a 1913-mount folding brace, but I don't want to drop 150-200 if these nice gentlemen are going to insist I give it up.

· Registered
18,036 Posts
You can use that train of thought for anything firearm related. If I had the money, and wanted one which I don't, I'd buy it and sit one it. The Ar istol I built might become a paperweight, but I did it anyway.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV ......... It is my opinion that owning a pistol brace and/or bump stock is not illegal, if they are not attached to a firearm. The legality comes to play when you physically attach said item to a firearm.

If they become illegal at a certain date, then they can not be purchased legally after that date. However anyone owning one prior to that certain date "should be" grandfathered in and allowed to legally own and use said brace/bump stock, due to the fact the item was purchase when they were still legal to purchase.

If a law comes into effect that makes possession of such item illegal, regardless of date purchased, that becomes tantamount to confiscation. And according to the Constitution of the United States of America, the government can not seize your property without just compensation.

So if you buy one now, while still legal, you "should be" grandfathered in or the government will have to reimburse you for the value of the brace. Just my opinion.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
My crystal ball is in the shop so I can't give you a solid answer.

I was going to buy a bump stock just to have but if I did I would have to get rid of it. Who would have thought our pro gun president would outlaw them. I am looking to get a binary trigger for either my AR or 10/22 or both. It's a crap shoot if down the road if they make them retroactively illegal. Because

I don't understand the whole pistol, SBR, brace vs stock situation. I would be very cautious however of adding on a brace that didn't come from the factory with one. There's implied approval when a major manufacturer offers one. You are on your own if you customize it even if Billy Bob on youtube said it's fine and everybody does it.

· Registered
18,036 Posts
The thing with the folding stock is when it is extended, it lengthens the "length of pull" and and the overall length. I think it's the length of pull that puts it in the SBR category, but they have altered the rules to allow for it.....today....tomorrow is another day.

· Registered
886 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV ......... It is my opinion that owning a pistol brace and/or bump stock is not illegal, if they are not attached to a firearm. The legality comes to play when you physically attach said item to a firearm.

If they become illegal at a certain date, then they can not be purchased legally after that date. However anyone owning one prior to that certain date "should be" grandfathered in and allowed to legally own and use said brace/bump stock, due to the fact the item was purchase when they were still legal to purchase.

If a law comes into effect that makes possession of such item illegal, regardless of date purchased, that becomes tantamount to confiscation. And according to the Constitution of the United States of America, the government can not seize your property without just compensation.

So if you buy one now, while still legal, you "should be" grandfathered in or the government will have to reimburse you for the value of the brace. Just my opinion.
With respect, I believe that is incorrect. Possession of a bump stock is a felony, whether it is attached to a gun or not. Simple possession of one is illegal. The government can seize your property without compensation if the property itself is an illegal object or substance through civil asset forfeiture. The fact that the object or substance was legal at one time makes no difference.

There is a case in federal court that is challenging the bump stock ban, but we will have to see how that goes.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
bump stocks are more or less history.......we more or less know what an auto is vs a semi auto in broad terms. In narrow terms it spells it out specifically the differences in mechanical operation.
It seems that the bump stock was always dancing on the razor's edge......it was a legal device but its purpose was to literally gain the broad definition of an auto while navigating the narrow specifics of a semi in mechanical operation looking for loopholes...... A republican president used an executive order because of this. Its the old spirit of the law vs the language of the law. Typically the language of the law prevails....at least until a jury gets involved where emotions come into play.......or in this case an executive order/directive. One could also say that it was a victim of politics.

i have no crystal ball......but i believe that "the brace" will become history as well for the same reasons...spirit of the law vs definitions and loopholes to arrive at a desired result.....everyone calls it a brace......but probably 99 percent of folks use it as a stock..
Many a brace has never been unstrapped and applied to a forearm...they were designed as an improvised stock first and as a "brace" 2nd....though no maker would admit that....but guessing the majority of them have been put on the shoulder as an improvised stock. That improv is what i think will kill it eventually as the politics get involved and it is decided the brace is actually a stock.. Another design dancing on the razor's edge. And probably another executive order will get it......probably by the next democrat president.....then again, it was Trump that went after bump stocks.......politics seem to be very fluid at the upper levels......

Reactions: jmf552

· Registered
886 Posts
bump stocks are more or less history.......we more or less know what an auto is vs a semi auto in broad terms. In narrow terms it spells it out specifically the differences in mechanical operation.
It seems that the bump stock was always dancing on the razor's edge......it was a legal device but its purpose was to literally gain the broad definition of an auto while navigating the narrow specifics of a semi in mechanical operation looking for loopholes...... A republican president used an executive order because of this. Its the old spirit of the law vs the language of the law. Typically the language of the law prevails....at least until a jury gets involved where emotions come into play.......or in this case an executive order/directive. One could also say that it was a victim of politics.

i have no crystal ball......but i believe that "the brace" will become history as well for the same reasons...spirit of the law vs definitions and loopholes to arrive at a desired result.....everyone calls it a brace......but probably 99 percent of folks use it as a stock..
Many a brace has never been unstrapped and applied to a forearm...they were designed as an improvised stock first and as a "brace" 2nd....though no maker would admit that....but guessing the majority of them have been put on the shoulder as an improvised stock. That improv is what i think will kill it eventually as the politics get involved and it is decided the brace is actually a stock.. Another design dancing on the razor's edge. And probably another executive order will get it......probably by the next democrat president.....then again, it was Trump that went after bump stocks.......politics seem to be very fluid at the upper levels......
If you look at CA's laws, it may be a sign as to other "razor's edge" gun and accessories at the federal level. Such as:
  • Pistols and revolvers that chamber shotgun shells
  • Disguised guns, such as pen guns, knife pistols, pager guns, cell phone guns, belt buckle guns, and wallet guns
  • .50 BMG rifles and most guns chambered for over .50 cal
  • Folding or pistol grip stocks on semi-auto rifles
  • Trigger activators and binary triggers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.