National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought a handgun that i can use as my daily carry. I plan on getting my CC in the near future. However, in the meantime i want to open carry. I feel much more comfortable having my gun IWB holstered. If i have it IWB with the shirt tucked behind the grip and slide meaning that half the gun is exposed from all three sides....is that still open carry? Ive tried reserching but never found a sure fire answer. Even going down to the police station and asking the local law enforcement; he wasnt too sure. His responce was, "i think youll be okay". Would like to know anyones experience if any with this situation. Thanks everyone for your time and hope everyone is having a great day.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I can answer that by quoting what concealed carry laws require. You may not carry in such a manner where any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe im just slow this morning but i didnt really fully understand your answer. In virgina here if you have a CC and youre carrying; say you go to a bar and get a drink. Well if youre gun is concealed in the bar it is illegal to indulge in alcohol. This is where the "virginia tuck" comes in. If its concealed in your waist band all you have to do is lift and tuck your shirt in behind the gun exposing it. Then you can have a drink because they consider it open carry. Now we dont have bars where i live, but wondered if i can walk around with it IWB with half the gun exposed and it still be OC.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You asked whether or not a partially concealed weapon is an open carry or a concealed carry and the answer is clear. A partially visible carry is no different than an open carry. Consequently in a state like mine where open carry is illegal a person with a CWP but is carrying a partially exposed weapon is violating state law. But in a state where you're permitted both, the circumstance you described falls into the open carry category because it's partially visible. I thought that describing what constitutes a concealed weapon violation should have been sufficient..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts