National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, purchased this holster a while back and was hoping to get some info on it. It was manufactured by Rau fastener co out of providence RI , or that's at least what the snaps say. The holster is quite large measuring at 10" X 4" at the longest and widest point. The holster obviously has a hole where the barrel goes through, making it for a gun somewhat larger than those measurements. No indication that its military issue. I have no idea what type of gun it's for or anything. The Rau fastener co was around from 1912 to 1962 from the info I've found. I read online that they made army issue holsters and colt holsters but I can't find too much information on this specific holster or any holsters made by them. Hoping someone knows something about it. If I had to guess I would say it's 1940s - 1950s but I'm hoping it's much older in this great of shape. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If you need more pics, let me know. Thank you!

anthony

Attachments

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
It looks like a Bauer or Heiser knock of. Those were the King of the Cowboys in their day. Everybody and his third cousin was making holsters for the very popular Colt Woodsman, and High Standard model semi auto pistols. If the stitching is tight and the leather is still in good condition use it. If the leather is beginning to harden I use a lanolin leather cleaner called "Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator". You might PM Mike Webber here on the gun board. He's the guy I would go to with leather questions.

·
Registered
19,570 Posts
A light Saddle Soap application, as per the product instructions, will suffice as well. I use very, very light applications of shoe/boot creme dressing on the holsters and gun-belts I make. This is usually equal to or even lighter in coloring than the dye I applied. Lanolin is good, but be very sparing in its application as it will soften leather very effectively. But not to worry if too much is applied. It will eventually diminish in softness if you put it in a box for storage in a hot place like an attic or garage.

For "flesh-side" leather that is dried out and is shedding or "pilling", just apply a few applications of hand lotion. It is a cellulose "skin" and this lotion application works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A light Saddle Soap application, as per the product instructions, will suffice as well. I use very, very light applications of shoe/boot creme dressing on the holsters and gun-belts I make. This is usually equal to or even lighter in coloring than the dye I applied. Lanolin is good, but be very sparing in its application as it will soften leather very effectively. But not to worry if too much is applied. It will eventually diminish in softness if you put it in a box for storage in a hot place like an attic or garage.

For "flesh-side" leather that is dried out and is shedding or "pilling", just apply a few applications of hand lotion. It is a cellulose "skin" and this lotion application works.
I'm not really concerned with how to clean it. More with what type of gun it's for / how old it is. The leather seems pretty solid.

·
Registered
19,570 Posts
Well, it appears, as you state, to have received little to any use at all. There's probably a good reason for that. I've seen many such "types" - albeit pretty used - in gun store "bargain barrels". Take it to a gun store and try out a few fits. If they'll let you.

·
Wyoming
4,251 Posts
That looks like a cheap "Knock-Off" of the Ranger Holsters made in Chandler, Az. years ago. The Ranger line was a high quality holster. They were primarily made for 1911 style pistols.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad worked for Rau Fastener from the sixties into the 80s. They only made the snaps on the holster. I remember going to trade shows with him. Many holster manufacturers used Rau snaps. Rau had alot of military contracts for uniforms leather goods. Rau even provided the snaps on the space suits that went to the moon. They were a privately held company until the sixties when they were sold to conglomerate US Industries. I think they finally went out of business due to asian competition and other fasteners like velcro. Any other questions I'll ask him. He's 86 but I bet he remembers most of the gun and holster manufacturers he visited to repair the machines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts