National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary soon and I want to surprise him with something meaningful and am looking for suggestions. Please? :)
He loves anything with history and a story behind it. WWII is a big interest for him.
I don’t want to just buy a new gun from a store. I would like to buy a gun or gun accessories that have history or meaning. Open to any ideas!
budget can’t exceed $1,000
Thanks so much-Sarah

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
M1 Garand is about as historical and iconic as it gets. You should be able to find one for about $1000. Patton called it “the greatest battle implement ever devised”. If that can’t be found then go with a .45 1911 pistol. My wife gave me mine for our first wedding anniversary. You could go German and get a K98 Mauser. Then there’s Russian, a Mosin Nagant rifle is easy to find for $200-$300.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Stamps nailed it. M1 Garand would be perfect. Failing that, an unmolested 1903 Springfield with sling and bayonet would also be a fantastic gift.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Like others said, the garand is a pretty good choice. A springfield 03 would be a good 2nd choice. If you ever get a divorce look me up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M1 Garand is about as historical and iconic as it gets. You should be able to find one for about $1000. Patton called it “the greatest battle implement ever devised”. If that can’t be found then go with a .45 1911 pistol. My wife gave me mine for our first wedding anniversary. You could go German and get a K98 Mauser. Then there’s Russian, a Mosin Nagant rifle is easy to find for $200-$300.
The M1 Garland was his #1 wish list gun and I was able to surprise him with that a few years ago. He talks about 1911’s a lot but I swear he has shown me 1,000’s over the years lol
Thank you all so much for helping me out!! I really really appreciate it!! 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i may or maynot have lied to him and told him one of the guys at work was asking what military/historical guns he had and this is the list he sent me. So this is what he currently has

“I have a Springfield M1 Garand made in 1943 and a Standard Products M1 carbine also 1943. I have had a bunch of others (Mosin Nagants, Springfield 1903, Lee Enfield) but thats what I have right now.”

l’m not sure if that helps with recommendations, but that’s all the digging I can do today without throwing a flag lol

Thank you all again! 😊

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,485 Posts
Can you tell me more about it/guide me in the right direction? I am really not super familiar with everything. LOL
He's kidding, just joking with you. A belt fed gun is way, way out of your $1000 price range.

·
Registered
650 Posts
OK, story, and interesting firearm, to go with it. Early in WWII, the Blitzkrieg overran Belgium, and took over the FN armament factory, at Herstal. A lucky few thousand Wermacht senior officers and paratroopers were provisioned with
the Browning Hi-Power. This sturdy, dependable design fought the war on both sides, and maybe you can find him a
Browning Hi-Power, with Waffen Eagle Stamp, from that era. Price will probably be @800$ to 1000$, for a VERY nice
pistol with a story behind it. And it shoots the standard 9mmX19mm caliber ammunition.
Two things to consider, first, the pistol slide has fixed combat sights, which, to be kind, are minimal. And it is the older series GP35 model, so you will have to be very careful, ordering parts. But they are available.

You might find an old Japanese Nambu pistol. Colonel Nambu is famous in Japan, largely regarded, as we regard John Browning, here. Of course, these old war-horses are in spottier repair, have hard to find ammo, and harder to find parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He's kidding, just joking with you. A belt fed gun is way, way out of your $1000 price range.
LOL yeah he messaged me and told me he was joking. Haha I am a little in the dark here. LOL
Thank you guys for helping me out!

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
I looked at original Govt A1 1911’s and they seem to be north of $1600. You can get a current production 1911 A1 for $500-$900. depending on who the maker is.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What about a Krag-Joergensen? First US smokeless repeating rifle. First US Army 30 cal. Went to war against Spain. Smoothest action of any military rifle in history. Unmolested originals in decent condition available in the $900 - $1200 range.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think he would appreciate either the 1911 or the Krag

1 - 20 of 21 Posts