National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/us/montana-national-anthem-assault-plea/index.html

Curt James Brockway might either be guilty of a crime or may be mentally disturbed and need to go to an institution to be committed. If he is beating up a young boy for not observing the national anthem, he is clearly a danger to society. He has a criminal history already and can't own a gun for it. If he's not sane enough or too violent to even own a gun, he needs to be put away one way or another.

Observing the national anthem is not a law in this country unless one is in military service. Under the First Amendment, Americans have the blessing of Our Founding Fathers for freedom of expression. It is therefore un-American to rebuke one's Bill of Rights liberties by force and it is also a crime to commit battery, assault/battery.

Sure, you have the right to verbally admonish, scold or shame somebody for not respecting the flag or the anthem, but aggravated assault is going to extremes.

That President Trump would want to jail flag-burners or deport them is a bit extreme. Burning a flag in public without permission from authorities might constitute a health, litter or environmental hazard that one might be justifiably cited or fined for.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Boy's father could prevent such tragedy by giving his punk a belt medicine on a regular base.
It's true that many American children need a good spanking these days to make them better people and better citizens.

But literally cracking a child's skull open for a hat etiquette issue is going a bit too far. My father may have just slapped the hat off
my head with an open hand and that might have been fair discipline. At age 11, 1975, my father told me not to talk at the national
anthem during that year's summer rodeo and then I learned total respect for it from then on.

I once wore a hat in court at age 20 and the bailiff told me to take it off without even saying please.
I then learned it was a matter of the law to have one's head uncovered in court. Nowadays, ungentlemanly
men and boys just walk around Walmart inside with hats on and nobody seems to pay any mind about it.

Apparently, churches and courtrooms are more hallowed places than Walmart.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Luckily, there was no brain damage. Probably due to the lack of one.
One way or another, that 13 y.o. will learn (fingers crossed!) to not cover his head at certain moments and to not tell "**** you!" to the strangers who are at least twice as large as himself.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/curt-james-brockway/

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might be somewhat of a coward. I might only have the guts to say "___ you!" to a stranger over the
telephone such as the rude taxicab dispatchers we have here in Lawton.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Luckily, there was no brain damage. Probably due to the lack of one.
One way or another, that 13 y.o. will learn (fingers crossed!) to not cover his head at certain moments and to not tell "**** you!" to the strangers who are at least twice as large as himself.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/curt-james-brockway/
Still, the defendant in this case has the law to deal with and maybe even a shrink.
I doubt if this man has enough wealth for the boy's family to sue him for or even make
a lawsuit worth while.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I doubt if this man has enough wealth for the boy's family to sue him for or even make
a lawsuit worth while.
Sadly, like the most of the American veterans.
BTW, the boy's father really deserves what his son has actually received.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
This guy has serious mental/emotional issues as shown by his past criminal record.
Kid was disrespectful to the flag and a grown up, but that does not give one the right to assault someone, especially a dumb ass kid.
This time instead of probation he needs to be incarcerated.

·
Mr.
188 Posts
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/us/montana-national-anthem-assault-plea/index.html

Curt James Brockway might either be guilty of a crime or may be mentally disturbed and need to go to an institution to be committed. If he is beating up a young boy for not observing the national anthem, he is clearly a danger to society. He has a criminal history already and can't own a gun for it. If he's not sane enough or too violent to even own a gun, he needs to be put away one way or another.

Observing the national anthem is not a law in this country unless one is in military service. Under the First Amendment, Americans have the blessing of Our Founding Fathers for freedom of expression. It is therefore un-American to rebuke one's Bill of Rights liberties by force and it is also a crime to commit battery, assault/battery.

Sure, you have the right to verbally admonish, scold or shame somebody for not respecting the flag or the anthem, but aggravated assault is going to extremes.

That President Trump would want to jail flag-burners or deport them is a bit extreme. Burning a flag in public without permission from authorities might constitute a health, litter or environmental hazard that one might be justifiably cited or fined for.

Sounds like it could be a LITTLE more to it than you mention, just from reading the article. Could be maybe it is the result of a society raising children to believe they are supreme beings who can say and do what ever they want to anyone they meet with out ever facing any significant consequences of any kind.

Sounds like MAYBE he finally cracked off to the wrong/right guy.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Sounds like it could be a LITTLE more to it than you mention, just from reading the article. Could be maybe it is the result of a society raising children to believe they are supreme beings who can say and do what ever they want to anyone they meet with out ever facing any significant consequences of any kind.

Sounds like MAYBE he finally cracked off to the wrong/right guy.
The number of sides to any story is equal to the number of people telling it ~ BigNastyCowboy
Here's another point of view:

Perhaps the kid has been taught to use the rights the Constitution grants him. The man expressed his thoughts and the kid expressed his.

Fair enough. It's over and done. Both have exercised their Constitutionally protected rights.

--

In other news, a grown man injured a child. That's against the law.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts