National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this thing was discovered in Tennessee near the battle of Corinth Next to a pile of other civil war relics. I have not been able to find any markings on it, and it appears to be chrome plated. It looks to me to be pre civil war. I have had it for a while but I have not been able to tell what the heck it is. If you have any information about it, please share. Thanks in advance for your time. There are four picture below. (If I am posting this in the wrong thread category, I apologize.)

-Elijah

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,591 Posts
Handle / grip looks strange imo. Pics of the other side? and the back? Is there a side plate which you could remove? There might be two letters on the barrel in the firet pic it seems, though I can not enlarge the pic bigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the thing is one giant piece of metal, the only moving parts are the trigger and remnants of a hammer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replyand .

I cannot see the hammer area, but it looks like some type of cap pistol - There were all kinds apparently Cap Gun Toys - We Buy and Sell Cap Guns
single shot - roll - realistic bullet - missiles - Who would of thought.
It does kind of look like a cap gun, but I'm pretty sure it's real. It is extremely heavy and it has space for a propellant. I am assuming black powder. Thanks for the Imput though.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
and it appears to be chrome plated.
did they have chrome plated guns way back when?

what does the breech end look like......provision for a nipple? for a breech plug with a nipple? threaded?

i supose derringers were available for a few........heck, anything you could bring from home most likely....

·
Awesome
800 Posts
If you google "Civil War Era Single Shot Pistol" and look at the images tab in the results, you'll find a lot of similar weapons, but none with that distinct grip. Judging from the little bit of finger showing holding the gun up in pic #3, I'm wagering on some sort of small .32 caliber cap and ball belly gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts