National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My dad recently gave me a 1911, Colt 45. His father took possession of the gun while in the army during WW 1. The production number is: 194255. The pistol has not been fired, (or cleaned) since then. It appears to be in good condition. I’m considering selling it, however I don’t know what a reasonable retail price is. Can anyone suggest a value? Next step?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1911.jpg

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Your pistol was manufactured in 1917. Its frame and slide seem to match. It seems to be an unaltered example of a WWI production 1911. Since US Model 1911 parts were designed to mix-and-match it is impossible to determine an accurate $ value without a hands-on inspection by an expert.

IF your pistol is as it seems to be from the pictures the $ value could be well in excess of a brand new Colt 1911A1.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
$2000ish ballpark if the gun is all original. The ser # show it was made in 1917 as Popeye posted above.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hey there, fisherman, welcome to the NGF, from the swamp north of The Swamp

The game is obviously "all original". All original in GC; to be fair, I've seen

POSs from that era at pawn shops for 2500 to 3500$ . I guess it would depend

on whether you want to hold out for the big money, or not. A legacy gun like that,

I'd want to keep it. I'd kill to have my dad's WWII Colt...

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
As stated by others, hang on to it if you don't need the money. I got
a few guns when my dad passed and I will never sell em. You have a
nice Colt, keep it. Handed down guns are worth more in sentimental value
than what you could sell it for.

Reactions: fisherman

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Like the others have said, I think you should reconsider selling it. I still own the guns my father gave me and they will be passed on to family when I leave this world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks RMLamp! A local gun shop offered me $600. I imagine that a novice can be easily taken advantage of. I appreciate your help. Whatever the value, I've decided to keep the gun.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks RMLamp! A local gun shop offered me $600. I imagine that a novice can be easily taken advantage of. I appreciate your help. Whatever the value, I've decided to keep the gun.
Glad to hear you're keeping the gun, it's a physical piece of family history from a war with no living veterans. Under no circumstances should you sell that pistol and when you pass it down to the next generation make sure you include whatever stories you have of your Grandfather in writing along with it.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,887 Posts
A local gun shop offered me $600. I imagine that a novice can be easily taken advantage of. Whatever the value, I've decided to keep the gun.
Glad to hear you're keeping it.
Nice of the LGS to offer you $600. I obviously dont know them but chances are they knew exactly what they were looking at and what it was worth. Seems they forgot a "1" in front of their offer.
Great that you did your due diligence before making a move.

Reactions: RMLamp

·
Gun Nugget
29 Posts
Whatever the value, I've decided to keep the gun.
I'm glad to hear that. I myself carry my dad's Colt 1911 on my hip at home and around my property. It's nowhere near as historic as yours (I think Dad bought it in the 1980's when he and Mom were traveling the country in a motor home), but it keeps me in mind of the old fart now that he's gone.

Being new to shooting, I'm learning all I can about its care and feeding, and shooting it whenever I can. Before I'm done with it I plan on having a good custom leather holster and belt made and tooled with the family name/crest, and then I'll pass it on to my nephew who is a bit more into guns at his age than I ever was.

A good quality firearm is wonderful family heirloom. And a Colt 1911 is an even more special one (in my opinion).

Reactions: Stevejet
1 - 13 of 13 Posts