National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have a few ideas as to what that may be, but as far as IDing the piece, I would start with the local police dept. Perhaps that is why it was in the trash to begin with.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
If it was a gun, it appears to be missing a few parts. Maybe an old toy.

G

·
That was called a survival rifle. These rifles were sold by Armalite for years. They are now sold I believe by Henry Firearms not sure. They had a flotation butt stock into which the entire rifle fitted. The knurled nut ahead of the rec. un screws and lets the barrel loose from the gun. This rifle has been fitted with an extending stock. The barrel is under 16 inches with an exteneded stock. It will fall under the SBR or short barreled rifle. This gun is home made could not be registered. The ownership of an unregistered SBR carries a federal prison term and fine.

DK

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
DK is right. Does look like the barrel has been cut off. What you do with it is your call, but I'm going to guess it is illegal to have.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
When I first saw it, I thought of the survival rifle also.
These guns were not very expensive and by it's condition, I'd return it back to it's home.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
AR7 Explorer 22 LR.There was also a pistol made that had the same removable barrel ,it was the Explorer 2 or something like that,if put on the AR7 receiver theExplorer 2 barrel sights would be upside down .Even if it were the Explorer2 it would still be illegal,due to the wire stock being fixed .Choice is yours...if it were me,I would put it back in the place you found it then be notifying the police, not only because it is illegal,but being in the trash ,it could have been used in a crime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An AR-7 you say? Well... After reading the book Hit Man (put online due to publishing rights gone moot and entering public domain), which advised AR-7s as good and inexpensive rifles for performing hits, I'd say you should take it to your local police station... Perhaps you just found a weapon that was used to kill someone according to the book. It's unlikely, but in regards of me reading that book not three days ago, that gave me a bit of chills. It's improbable but not impossible...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts