National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gunshow today with the intention of buying a 45 fullsize USP - however, at each of the 2 vendors that had them the guns were marked up.

So, I passed and came home...

Fast forward to this afternoon. I went shooting with my USPc 9mm and P99 9mm... I asked if they has a 45 USP to rent - sure enough, they did!

So, I rented the USP 45ACP and fired about 35 rounds thru it. I did not like it that much. Now, the sights could have been off, despite being centered on the slide - Because, I finally stopped and sandbagged the gun, and it was still pulling left. But, the grip is rather large, so it could have STILL been me.

Anyway, I feel like I dodged a bullet today at the gun show. I would have been pissed to spend $700 + tax at the show and then be disappointed at the range...

The recoil wasn't bad - but I think the gun was too big for my hands, despite feeling like I could deal with it when just holding the gun.

While renting guns - I decided to rent the M&P 45. I tried a 9mm M&P 5-6 months ago, and didn't care for it. But, I decided to give the 45 a shot.

I was surprised that I shot so well with it. It took a few shots to get used to the trigger and the breaking point - but I shot several holes in the center at 21 feet. Despite that - The M&P, while being nice, isn't a gun that grabs me and says buy me. I don't care for the pivot trigger too much, and after my prev time with the 9mm months back, it just doesn't interest me enough to buy one. I did get a 2nd box of ammo after I finished the 1st (left over from the USP) and put 30-35 rounds thru it total.

Finally, instead of finishing the box - I decided to trry the XD 45. The rentals are only $5, and I figured that this experience was a bargain compared to buying a gun and then not liking it...

Well, I was shocked - I shot super well with the 45 ACP service XD. The shots were touching and going thru the same hole. In terms of recoil, I think the USP had the most, then it was the M&P, and the XD had the least recoil...

I finished the ammo with the XD. And stopped and looked at it in between shots. I've never been an XD fan before. I don't care for the looks of the gun. Never really have. And, while they have fixed some of the prev teething issues of the XD - some of that still sticks in my mind...

Anyway, after I paid and locked my stuff up, I went back into the store and looked at the new 45 XDs. They had the bi tone, all black and the flat earth colored frame. I checked them all out, and I was allowed to dry fire them all. Some had lighter triggers than others - but none were as light as the rental gun - which obviously has a well broekn in trigger.

The price is right at $495 for a 4" model with no night sights... But... I just couldn't "pull the trigger" to buy one. I'm gonna have to get myself "into" owning an XD... Or so I thought as I left the shop... I need time to digest the fact that I shot so well with a gun I never really was interested in....

BUt, with some more time to think about it... IF I get a 45 (I have owned many over the years) - it would just be a range toy. I think I want something I REALLY want... Not something I make myself like, despite shooting it well...

Over the years, I have owned MANY, MANY handguns. I have sold several over the years for various reasons - money to buy something I wanted more, or because I didn't like the gun so much. I've have tried quite a few brands and styles since I bought my first gun in 1993.

So, I've kind of tried a lot of stuff out there... Never thought I would say it... But for now... There really isn't anything out I want. I've either owned or shot pretty much every service gun out there... I own my favs now (I still like my 9mm USPc a lot - much better than the 45 USP). But, I think the time for me lusting after the next gun and the next gun and the next gun can be put on hold for a while... I have satiated my obsession... At least for a little while.

I've also looked at all the rifles out there... And, nothing interests me as much as my PS90... In fact, the only rifle CLOSE to grabbing my attention is the CX4 - but after renting that 2x, there are still a couple of things I don't care too much about...

So, guess i"ll get around to just getting a regular gun safe next, and then just save for the next thing I see that grabs my attention - whenever that is....

Wow... I'm shocked... no guns I want. What's wrong with me....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
:eek: Stop the presses. Somebody get ahold of Mrs Shipwreck in Tx's and have this boy taken to a doctor. :eek: More guns you can't have to many. :i: Did you get ahold of some bad meds or are you drinking heavy :?: Nothing wrong with getting a safe but you always need more guns. :cool: I got the wants but not the money. You need to get the baby boy a cowboy gun. A good little Ruger Single -Six would be nice. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about the XD's. They are reliable and accurate and easy to shoot. All the articles in the magazines have had positive reviews. For that price you can't go wrong.

Myself I would take a Kimber or a Sig over any of the plastic guns, but they are much more expensive. You will pay double that price to get something that will not do a heck of a lot better at the range, I hear. A Sig 220 or a Kimber Gold Match are both dreams to shoot and they will make a average shooter into a competitive shooter.

I can shoot a far better group with my Kimber than I can with my Glocks. But that's just me and I have never shot the XDs. How about the Taurus 24/7, any interest in that one?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I actually own all 3. Go with the USP. Once you are use to it you will not regret it. However my vote is for the tactical or the MK23. The XD is a close 2nd. I have however had some reliability issues with mine though. As for the M&P. I don't care for mine and may sell it. I don't like the mag. disconect feature and it is kind of a PITA tp disassemble. just my $.02

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
owtlaw said:
I actually own all 3. Go with the USP. Once you are use to it you will not regret it. However my vote is for the tactical or the MK23. The XD is a close 2nd. I have however had some reliability issues with mine though. As for the M&P. I don't care for mine and may sell it. I don't like the mag. disconect feature and it is kind of a PITA tp disassemble. just my $.02
Hey, give us a heads up if you need us to take out your guns and exercise them for you while you are laid up! :shock: :shock: :shock: ;) ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
They could use a little TLC. When are you comeing to take my girls out on a date???? LOL.. :---

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
owtlaw said:
They could use a little TLC. When are you comeing to take my girls out on a date???? LOL.. :---

Most likely when the monsoons come and I get depressed and have to get the he..ll outa here. I will bring Doug Wilson with me, he gets stir crazy too! :lol:

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I like my XD pretty well, but I will always be a 1911 kinda guy. Sometimes i go through phases of thinking I have too many guns and get disinterested in buying new ones...but have faith, something always comes around later and gets your attention. Maybe you need a service gun from another era...a Colt Single Action Army perhaps?

·
Registered
648 Posts
sig232 said:
owtlaw said:

Most likely when the monsoons come and I get depressed and have to get the he..ll outa here. I will bring Doug Wilson with me, he gets stir crazy too! :lol:
You guys can come down and take my guns and the horses for a ride. :D

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baldy said:
You need to get the baby boy a cowboy gun. A good little Ruger Single -Six would be nice. ;)
:mrgreen: Well, revolvers just never did it for me. I tried to make myself want one... But the feeling just isn't there...

sig232 said:
I have heard nothing but good things about the XD's. They are reliable and accurate and easy to shoot.
Yes, overall, they are reliable. That's not it (although, there have been some issues with them rusting in the past - and there is still some isolated locking block problems and trigger slap issues - but not enough to be real worried about)....

I guess I just have no interest in the gun. And, I don't even care for the way it looks. I think a Glock looks better than an XD. I guess it was always a gun I just had zero interest in for years now - and am just surprised at how well it shoots.

But I have bought and sold so many guns that I initially loved, but then hated or got bored with. The XD doesn't grab me enough to go buy it. At least not yet.

sig232 said:
Myself I would take a Kimber or a Sig over any of the plastic guns, but they are much more expensive. You will pay double that price to get something that will not do a heck of a lot better at the range, I hear. A Sig 220 or a Kimber Gold Match are both dreams to shoot and they will make a average shooter into a competitive shooter.
I have owned several 1911s over the years, including 1 KImber. I didn't have good luck with that Kimber - And, a local friend of mine has tried three fullsize Kimbers. While they all worked with FMJ, none would feed JHP. So, if I did fall for the 1911 bug again 1 day, I gotta disqualify Kimber in my mind at least. IF Springfield used decent night sights instead of those crappy silver ringed ones, MAYBE I'd be interested in that EMP. But I don't want to spend so much cash on a gun, and then turn around and buy new sights for it right away. It is too hard to see the front sight with those silver rings in my dimly lit indoor range.

sig232 said:
How about the Taurus 24/7, any interest in that one?
I have owned 1 Taurus in the 1990s - but I have seen WAY, WAY too many complaints about Taurus online over the past 1-2 years. Even counting the fact that people complain more than praise publicly, too many people have told such horrible stories that I would NEVER consider a Taurus.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
owtlaw said:
Well, the trigger and other upgrades would be nice on the Expert or the tactical. However, I HATE all black sights. I mostly shot at a dimly lit indoor range - and it is WAY too hard to shoot with all black sights there. I'd never buy a gun that way again.

As for the M&P - not all have the mag disconnect. And, if I liked the gun enough to buy it, I wouldn't let that stop me... MY FN Five Seven has a mag disconnect. Other than for dry fire practice - it impacts me zero to have it. And, as a night stand gun, I like the fact that I can disable the gun if need be if an attacker surprised me at night in my home and we fought over the weapon.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Shipwrecks Quote: I have owned several 1911s over the years, including 1 KImber. I didn't have good luck with that Kimber - And, a local friend of mine has tried three fullsize Kimbers. While they all worked with FMJ, none would feed JHP. So, if I did fall for the 1911 bug again 1 day, I gotta disqualify Kimber in my mind at least. IF Springfield used decent night sights instead of those crappy silver ringed ones, MAYBE I'd be interested in that EMP. But I don't want to spend so much cash on a gun, and then turn around and buy new sights for it right away. It is too hard to see the front sight with those silver rings in my dimly lit indoor range.

Now that is the first time I have ever heard that comment from anyone. Kimber is the one 45 that will fire anything that you can sweep up off the gun room floor and ask for more. I have three, one Gold Match and a Custom Lightweight Compact and a CDP Lightweight compact. I shoot reloads, light and heavy loads, hollow points and the cheap plinking stuff and they gobble it all up like a Glock would. An occasional failure to feed but its rare and its usually a reload that is not sized properly.

I had a Springfield that was a total piece of junk and jammed so bad it went back to the factory twice. Frame was made in Brazil and it had the Alum bullet ramp. Nasty pistol that I sold off quickly. Even Springfield couldn't make it work right. But that was back when they were ramping up their production of 45s and I know the newer ones are good quality.

The only Kimbers that they had trouble with are the few that they built with the external extractor! They dumped that idea quickly and went back to the internal extractor and no more problems.

The double action Sig 245 is a nice little 45 acp that will fire anything and is Sig accurate. But again these are metal pistols and you will pay a premium for the better quality. Sig is the Rolex of pistols, in my opinion, but again at over 1K per gun its not for everyone. I think the Sig 220 is the top 45 acp available today in retail non-custom pistols.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually - if you are on as many gun sites as I am, U will see that Kimbers get more complaints about 1911s than anyone else. Granted, things are better with the ext extractor gone. But they sure don't fall into an across the board reliable brand.

I also know some people that have sent Kimbers in 2-3 times and the gun still would not run reliably. The people always just dump the gun after that.

But, after my personal experience and that of my friend, I wouldn't get another Kimber. But, we all have our own opinions...

I didn't post this to come down on any 1911 brand, though - just stated that I didn't want anymore 1911s...

G

·
:cool: -I own 5, 1911's, here's a few

--

--

--The Colt NM, which is over 50 yrs old and the S&W 1911 are my BEST and favorite--

-- :--- :--- --JIMBO

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I have Colt, S.A. and Para Ordnance 1911's and they have all been great. I have some friends with Kimbers, but they have had trouble with them, so I have stayed away from them. Besides, I have more 1911's than I need anyway. I just can't deal with Glock and I have never really warmed up to a Sig...although I admit that I haven't given them much of a chance. Are the S&W 1911's worth buying? What do they run for anyway?

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have heard 99% good stuff about the S&W 1911s.. If I did want a 1911, that is probably what I would get...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a SA XD 45 and love it, with no gun-related issues. Had one FTF early on due to a bad bullet that I tossed in the "bad ammo" bin. No problems since, have fired almost 1,000 rounds through at this point.

However, I have a real hankering for the SA 1911 EMP or Kahr PM-9 for concealed carry. Plan on having home defense and CC gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts