National Gun Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I saw another semi-patriotic knife leaving the gun store. I'm not really a knife collector although I do have a collection of knives. I always considered Case knives more collectable than most.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Font Gas

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I saw another semi-patriotic knife leaving the gun store. I'm not really a knife collector although I do have a collection of knives. I always considered Case knives more collectable than most.

View attachment 143918
Love it… I do t have that one… yet !

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Another one on the way…

1976 Bicentennial Case with scrolled bolsters, stag handles… called the American Spirit

Natural material Rectangle Triangle Font Pattern

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Got this in the mail today

1993 Remington Musket

Font Tool Wood Slip joint pliers Knife

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Another few on the way

Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Font Electric blue Tool

Automotive tire Sports equipment Hood Wood Automotive design

Tool Nickel Metal Office supplies Fashion accessory

Wood Material property Font Hardwood Publication

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
It was burned in my brain long ago somehow that Case knives are more collectable than others. I have a few Case knives one of which is a peanut. The blades stamped "USA" so I assume it was made in the good 'ole U.S. of A. I was actually looking for the type of steel. The blade has some rust spots on it. I went to their website and they called it some type of stainless steel. Not to try and get too technical but I think 13% chromium is required for it to be considered stainless. D2 is 1% short so it's called a semi-stainless.

Anyway it's hard to keep a EDC oiled but for a collector knife I strongly suggest a good rust preventative oil or coating.

Reactions: IowaShooter

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Here's an excerpt about Case knife blades from AAPK (all about pocket knives)... The forum in which I participate

Case xx blade materials

Case generally uses either TruSharp surgical steel or chrome vanadium. They have produced a few knives using damascus steel and ATS34.

ATS34: This is a high-carbon, high-alloy, stainless steel. Case knives made with ATS34 will be stamped ATS34.

Chrome Vanadium: Chrome vanadium was the first type of steel used by Case in making blades. Blades made of this steel hold their edge longer and are easier to re-sharpen. They are less resistant to rusting, pitting, and discoloration than TruSharp surgical stainless steel. Most new Case brand knives made of this material have CV stamped on the blade. All older Case knives that are not stamped SS, SSP, or Stainless will be Chrome Vanadium.

Damascus: Arguably, this is the most beautiful steel used in knife making. It is layers of different steel welded and layered together to form an intricate design. Most Case knives made from damascus will be stamped with a D.

TruSharp Surgical Steel: This material is a high carbon stainless steel that is easy to maintain and more resistant to rust than chrome vanadium, but does not sharpen quite as well or hold an edge as well. All Case knives with this material will be stamped SS, Stainless, or SSP. Case currently uses 420 HC steel in its TruSharp Surgical Steel blades.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,670 Posts
Case SS, SSP & TruSharp Surgical Steel = 420HC

Case Chrome Vanadium Steel =1095 enhanced with added Nickel, Chromium and a trace of Vanadium.
I believe only Case and Cammillus currently use this steel, originally patented by the Sharon Steel Corporation

Both are perfectly acceptable blade steels but are nothing special. Enhanced 1095 is a superiorl bade steel to 420HC steel

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
ordered a few more today…

• a white synthetic trapper with flag shield
  • a commemorative American eagle with stag handle
  • a 2022 Christmas case with bone handle

Multi-tool Tool Knife Kitchen utensil Font

Tool Multi-tool Utility knife Knife Hand tool

Product Font Rectangle Multi-tool Titanium

Reactions: Wag