National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38. France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people. <-- who'd a thunk it, an armed minority (gov't) visiting violence upon the unarmed majority???

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference. <-- not sure how to interpret this statement. If he were with the firearms industry it could be a marketing strategy.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...rpc=22&sp=true

This is an interesting article. The overall tone is somewhat scary for those who are new-world-order conspiracy types. I wonder how the fire-arms ownership per captia stats play against the murder rate per capita stats. It would be interesting to normalize the murder rates to number of private firearms held.

Over all, there is really no point to the article. US has the most guns in private hands. So what?
:-B-:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces

The part above is what I question. What due we get from our government anymore but a bunch of half truths and lies :evil: . Where was the survey taken at Berkley or some other liberal strong hold :evil: . Here's the real kicker, they got their info from the media :evil: . One of the top anti gun groups in the world is the news media. :roll:
This is all a bunch of BS and you know it and I know it. :roll:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The number of guns in US hands is pretty much correct! The number in the world, I have my doubts, I think there is a lot more than the number specified. The way they state the numbers makes it look like we are armed to the teeth. I would bet the number of guns in the world is way in excess of 2 million or more. Someone needs to tally all the gun mfg in the world for total production and do a factual estimate, not put up a BS story that most likely originated in the UN!

If they were to take the mfg numbers since WWI you would be many, many times higher than the number stated for the World. I doubt if they have good numbers for any of the third world countries.

Remember in the US we may have 300 million people but the actual number of gun owners is only about 75-80 million. Because, like all of us, most gun owners have many more than one gun.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do not like surveys because of the way the questions are posed. This survey was released to show that 90 0f 100(90% of the population, if extrapolated) people have a firearm. That is such a slanted and biased way of interpreting an observation. They need to say that there are ENOUGH firearms in the US to arm 90 percent of the population!!!! God, I hate surveys!

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Hubs said:
I do not like surveys because of the way the questions are posed. This survey was released to show that 90 0f 100(90% of the population, if extrapolated) people have a firearm. That is such a slanted and biased way of interpreting an observation. They need to say that there are ENOUGH firearms in the US to arm 90 percent of the population!!!! God, I hate surveys!

You can make stats show whatever you want if you survey the right people. I'm with you - surveys are a very unreliable way of ascertaining information about anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats cause most gun owners dont just own one.

my uncle has more than 180 guns.(hes my favorite uncle) 5 full size safes full and a ton of overflow.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
leeindy said:
thats cause most gun owners don't just own one.

my uncle has more than 180 guns.(hes my favorite uncle) 5 full size safes full and a ton of overflow.
Now there is an Uncle I could grow to love! ;) I would be over there asking him if I could mow his lawn, wash his car, help him revise his will, etc. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a bogus "survey" meant to make us look like we are a violent society.
Remember, we are heading towards a North American Union, so that we can compete with the EU, and they will attempt to use these stats, to call for more restrictive laws here.
Heck,.......the UN is already trying to poke their nose into our firearm laws here too! :evil:
I don't have anywhere the amount of some,........but I make up for several dozen, "non" gun owners in that survey! :---

1 - 9 of 9 Posts