National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum and I have and old pump shotgun that has no barel, magazine tube, stock and worst of all no identifying items that I'm aware of besides a "U" stamp on the underside of the receiver with what I believe is the serial number. Also the one above it in the picture is a jc Higgins model 20. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
You have the rough remnants of a High Standard Model 200 pump gun (made for Sears and marketed as J C Higgins)

Can't tell gage from pics. But it's kind of irrelevant. What you have is rough. The cost of getting it I to working order would be more than the cost of a nice used 870 Wing Master.

My advice is hang onto it and see if you can get anything for it at a gun "buy-back" (grammatical nonsense) if you live in the sort of jurisdiction that goes in for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Although it is a much cheaper route to get something new or an already built pump I would like to rebuild it for the challenge and something to do with my father, I have been doing as much research as I can but most of what I find is that the "U" mark is something that was stamped on remington model 10's. Both items are 12ga.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sounds reasonable.

No idea what the "U", but the JC Higgins Model 20 was a High Standard Model 200. Parts will.be interchangeable. No idea what's missing inside the receiver. If there's no bolt, you really will find it pretty much impossible to do this.

There's a fair array of parts available on Gunbroker including this barreled action which might be the way to go. Numrich will likely have parts as well. The receiver you have needs a lot of attention. You will have to de-rust it and then go at it with a draw file. It may be too far gone but things often clean up better than we expect.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/848892667

This article may also be of interest:
https://allthingsthatgobang.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/the-best-american-made-pump-action-shotgun-of-the-19th-century-a-review-of-the-sears-roebuck-j-c-higgins-model-20-high-standard-arms-co-model-200/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The High standard model 200 is only missing the stock, but my main concern is the other one I know nothing about it, it is a bottom feed and eject and it has an interrupted thread style like that of the remington model 10 and winchester model 12, I'm sure there's a plethora of others with this takedown style but I'm not too knowledgeable on shotguns when it comes to proof marks and things of that nature, it's been sitting in the safe for years and at the very least I'd like to find out what it is.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My bad! Sorry. I thought we were only talking about a JC Higgins/High Standard. My apologies for the confusion at my end.

Looking more closely at the pics and afraid I cannot assist in identification of the unknown one. Again, apologies for any confusion.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
Ithaca Model 37 (or clone)

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Popeye is probably right on the Ithaca but I’d like to see the other side of the receiver. Clearer pics would help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So im almost certain this is a model 10 but before I go on resto mode I'd like to be absolutely sure and have outside confermation all help is welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,073 Posts
Numrich is another source for parts. I have done business with them a few times. Good folks.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
So im almost certain this is a model 10 but before I go on resto mode I'd like to be absolutely sure and have outside confirmation all help is welcome and appreciated.
I would concur.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Agree it sure looks like a Remington model 10. Could be a model 29--they were very similar. One oddity. If that is a
number to the left of the 1 in the serial number (looks like a 3 or a well worn 8?) then it falls outside of the 0-275,000
range listed for the model 10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep looking at it and it definitely does looks like a 3 but it doesn't match either the other three or the other 8 if it were worn possibly a proof mark, also what would the approximate year of a production number of 17813 be?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I keep looking at it and it definitely does looks like a 3 but it doesn't match either the other three or the other 8 if it were worn possibly a proof mark, also what would the approximate year of a production number of 17813 be?
The model 10 was made from 1908 to 1929. Guessing 17813 would be 1910-1913??? If you had the barrel there is a code on it that would give
you the month and year produced, but without the barrel it's a bit of a guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks just like an old Remington Model 10 I had. fair old gun, but a pain to find parts for, at least in my area.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Keep an eye on eBay. You would be amazed what I have found on that site.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts