National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it while digging on some land we have. The only two sets of markings/numbers I have for it are as follows: 1940XV and C7948. If anyone knows I would really appreciate the help

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
That trigger seems both quite rudimentary and...errr, backwards. It appears to release the sear via linkage to the rear? It would appear to not be: a Mauser, a 1903 Springfield, a Lee Enfield, or an Arisaka. Where is the land in question, and what is the bore diameter?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well if you can measure the bore at the muzzle. That might tell us something, ie is it 30 cal or larger.

·
Registered
14,949 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
In the event that you were wondering if it might have been used in the late unpleasantness between the States, the answer is no. Neither Confederacy nor Union used bolt action rifles. I am also unaware of an Italian invasion of the US, so perhaps this was Oswald's back-up rifle?

·
Registered
938 Posts
In the event that you were wondering if it might have been used in the late unpleasantness between the States, the answer is no. Neither Confederacy nor Union used bolt action rifles. I am also unaware of an Italian invasion of the US, so perhaps this was Oswald's back-up rifle?
Actually--there were several bolt action rifles used in the civil war. Greene 1857, Palmer 1863/65, Calisher and Terry 1856. But it is FAR more
likely it was Oswalds backup. OP---did you dig it up on a grassy knoll?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts