National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my Dad and I recently discovered my great grandfathers hunting rifle, used to hunt rabbits back in the day. I believe it is a (I dont know much about guns) a "break-action" gun? ("snap" barrel in half and insert bullet), it has a thumb/finger wrest on the handle area and some really **** sights. It is made out of wood and metal (rusty). It has two triggers with a very small, what looks to be a button between them, as well as a finger guard. This gun was used for hunting on the Europe area post-WW2, Heck the gun may even be pre-war! If anyone has any idea of what this rifle could be please just leave a response. MAY be posting a picture of it later if necessary.

Thanks!

*edit*
some more info about the rifle, there is a trigger system below the guard for reloading (Break top action), there is no signature to the gun, It is a rifle, It is no longer functional, as well as it was used in Germany during the war.

Here's a photo.
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,973 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd guess you're describing a pre-WWII rifle.

·
56,973 Posts
Is there any 'writing' anywhere on the barrel or any other metal parts?

·
56,973 Posts
Double set triggers.

Break top action.

An expert did the checkering on the stock.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
Did you look under the hand guard for cartouches in the metal or in the hand guard? Any on the trigger guard? Any under the barrel or on the receiver meets the barrel meets the receiver?

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
16,591 Posts
Is it a rifle or shotgun?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you remove the forend you'll probably find marking under the barrel. That should tell you who manufactured the gun and give you a model number. While it doesn't look like much in it's present condition don't do anything to it that may decrease it's value. The under lever and the double set triggers indicate that it was a very fine gun in it's day. If it's rare it could be worth quite a bit. You might want to send the picture to the NRA. They should be able to identify the gun for you and give you it's approximate worth.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
28,596 Posts
It looks remotely like an Austrian made P. Whelte rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not looking to sell the gun, been in my family for generations. Just curious to see what it is. It is no longer functional so I wanted to buy spare parts and get someone to repair it etc. Thanks for the tip, will check tonight!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.