National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was looking for additional information on Mils and found a site that converts {unit} ---> mils.
For example

Entering 10 centimeters converts to 590.55 mils.
for 25 Inches converts to 25000 Mils

Question: What is the practical use for the 590.55 and 225000 mils?

Thank You for any reply

· Aim true !
14,192 Posts
I have a headache! :p I have scopes that adustments are either .1 mill per click or 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. That never bothered me. I bore sight to get on paper. And take a shot. At 25 yards. Put the cross hairs on the bulls and adjust the scope to where my bullet hit. Then tweak from there to get it dialed in out further.

· Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
That's how I do it, CC. After that, I take three or five shots at a 300 yard target and get it dialed in there. Takes about three groupings, I think. After than, ya just use the ballistics data for your round and you can stay on pretty well.

--Wag--

· Last Stand on Earth
6,352 Posts
First, the issue is you are trying to translate a degree of angle to a distance measurement.

6283.185 is how many mils there are in 360 degrees (a complete circle) so 25,000 mils doesn’t really make sense.

590.55 mils is pretty close to 34 degrees. Because it’s an angle, the further the object is away, the further the distance 1mil makes.

· AZHerper
6,372 Posts
First, the issue is you are trying to translate a degree of angle to a distance measurement.

6283.185 is how many mils there are in 360 degrees (a complete circle) so 25,000 mils doesn’t really make sense.

590.55 mils is pretty close to 34 degrees. Because it’s an angle, the further the object is away, the further the distance 1mil makes.
You're right. I'm posting a full explanation.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Long range shooting.

It's not as simple as what you're saying. 1 mil at 100 yards is 3.6 inches.

It's well beyond my expertise to go much farther than that so try this: Long Range Shooting - MOA and MILS explained

--Wag--
I'll reply here for all who gave their 5 cents of contribution. (5 cents NOT a derogatory intent, Far from that)
I thank to all who took their time replying and I apologize for replying so late.

I guess I took the question that I posted as something simple.

Thank You to ALL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.