National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aim true !
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 44 mag rifle out today. I shoot it at 50 yards. I run 4 different bullets. The 200 grain cast and 240 grain plated hollow points were on. But the 180 grain cast were hitting to the right. And the 240 grain cast were hitting low. Last times i shot it was over the summer. Temps today are in the 40's.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
I've never noticed it to be temp sensitive. It's one of, if not my one, favorite pistol powders. But our temperatures are anything but extreme most of the time (in over all changes that is). But, I'd expect it to shoot roughly the same in 100 degree heat as in 40 degree freezing cold....

Alan

·
Live Free
3,752 Posts
I have used Unique in a variety of pistol loads over the years. Never noticed any sensitivity to temps from around 30 to 100+. But I never used it in rifle loads, might be a little more noticeable difference in that application…I don’t really know. I have never heard anyone comment on it being temp sensitive either.

·
Aim true !
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks guys. An error in my loading then probably.

·
Genius in Training
540 Posts
For long range shooting I'm sure temp has some impact but for 44 mag work I would say unlikely. Especially if 2 of your loads were shooting just like normal, as opposed to all of them.

I have seen in documentaries where snipers would set there ammo in the sun until they were about to use it as they thought they gained a little velocity. Again that's looking at 1000+ yard shots though. And to my previous point, all of your loads should have deviated if that were the issue.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
All metals expand and contract when hot and cold. This can effect bore size, bullet size and even your sight alignment as things heat up and cool down. That’s why when I test rifle rounds for accuracy in freezing temps, I try to get out there and do it quickly with bullets kept in my pocket to minimize the impact to the test.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Not sure about unique but many powders that are temp sensitive might not even be noticeable to the average shooter. You might get slight pressure differences up or down depending on heat or cold but unless they are drastic you won't notice. You may get slight variations in accuracy which again you may not notice unless you're hooting for groups on paper. The only time i have noticed any differences is in extreme cold(below 10 degrees) and having some very slight hang fires. For all i know it could have been primer issues as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts