National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Check out this unbelievable driving job by Alain Castellana. It's an on board during an, "Extreme Hill Climb" in Europe. The car is a Norma M-20 with a BMW 6 cylinder engine in it. What is really unbelievable is he does not have shifter paddles on the wheel. If you watch, his right hand has to go to the stick for every gear change. Even more amazing is the fact Alain Castellana is 54 YEARS OLD and can still drive like that!

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a big Formula 1 fan and the tracks they race on are fantastic with plenty of runoff in the corners for driver safety. Castellana has a cliff on one side, rocks on the other. If he misses, he's basicly dead. It doesn't slow him down in the least! Why this guy wasn't picked up by an F-1 team 30 years ago is beyond me. If he's this good at 54, I can't imagine what he was like at 28! Bill T.

G

·
The BMW is considered to have the best engineered straight six in the world. I just hope they don't ever ditch it.
'Yota used to have a kick ass 3.0 6 in the Supra and later in the is300 that I drive. Not only did they ditch it for a V6 but changed to "drive by wire." It's now a POS.
I'm saving for a 335is :i:

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
whompuss said:
The BMW is considered to have the best engineered straight six in the world.
That's the engine in my 530i...... with regular maintenance it will more than likely last me forever! I've already told Rich, I will buy another car in the future - I want a M-Coupe - but I will never part with this one!

FWIW. My Mother bought her BMW with the inline-6 back in the late '70's. Last I heard (2001) the guy that bought it was still driving it - second time round the clock!!!

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Whompuss,

I totally agree with you on the BMW 6. Check out this SR-8 doing a record lap at the Nurburgring in Germany. The engine is a "V-8", consisting of 2, 4-cylinder Hyabusa Motorcycle engines welded together to form what amounts to a custom V-8 engine! Cost, a mere $40,000.00 US for just the transaxle. In this video you can hear the car bottoming out and scraping the ground at various parts around the track. What amazes me is how the drivers memorize every single corner! One lap takes over 7 minutes. No "NASCAR Left Turn Only" signs here. Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the way you can hear the car scraping the ground from all the downforce at over 190+ MPH on the long straights. Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whompuss said:
Bilt,
That is just plain wild. Do you have the stats on the composite engine?
No, and it's pi$$ing me off because I've been hitting most every webite imaginable to find it. Welding Aluminum to "create" a V-8 is beyond my comprehension, and I've cut metal for 35 years to earn a living. I'm just guessing these guys that made this thing are keeping it very tightly under wraps. I don't blame them. The only other thing I've heard of even remotely like this was a guy who "Sawed Off" 2 cylinders from a Merlin V-12 P-51 Mustang engine to "create" a "Super Harley". He had reportedly $100,000.00 alone in just getting the engine developed! Some European guy with a ton of cash, and liked to play, and had the skill to do it with. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything. I love guys who do this kind of stuff. They don't think "Outside the box". They throw the box away! Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That power to weight ratio is almost in the same class as many motorcycles. It weighs almost nothing. That car looks just awesome! I love the ground effects that actually WORK! Unlike many of these "Showroom GT Specials" that leave half the "Ground Effects" package at the supermarket parking lot, just over the concrete parking abuttment. A Formula 1 car has enough downforce to remain stuck to the track at only 100 MPH if inverted. I'll bet that Radical SR-8 could top that. Beautiful machine! Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you check out the aerodymamics of both the Norma M-20, and the Radical SR-8 you will notice the vents in the front fenders, right near the top, to let trapped air "escape". these actually create a bigger vacuum effect, sucking the car down even harder to the track. The biggest obsticle in driving these machines was to know how to correct if the car actually "got loose", in spite of all the downforce. When this technology was first introduced, many drivers were killed because they pushed the cars too far, and over corrected when they did break loose, only to have the cars "hook up" again, sending them into parts unknown. Most people have zero idea how these cars behave at speed. It takes SKILL beyond belief to drive them, let alone drive them competitively. Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This was the Gordon Smiley accident at Indianapolis in 1982. Ground effects cars were just coming into their own then. He loses it in the turn, then just after he corrects, then the cars ground effects hook up sending him almost directly into the wall at over 190 MPH. Gordon Smiley died instantly. He never stood a chance. It's sad how race cars get faster, before they get safer. Today, even with safer barriers, better helmets, carbon fiber driver tubs, and all the rest, no one could have survived that. Bill T.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
billt said:
If you check out the aerodymamics of both the Norma M-20, and the Radical SR-8 you will notice the vents in the front fenders, right near the top, to let trapped air "escape". these actually create a bigger vacuum effect, sucking the car down even harder to the track. The biggest obsticle in driving these machines was to know how to correct if the car actually "got loose", in spite of all the downforce. When this technology was first introduced, many drivers were killed because they pushed the cars too far, and over corrected when they did break loose, only to have the cars "hook up" again, sending them into parts unknown. Most people have zero idea how these cars behave at speed. It takes SKILL beyond belief to drive them, let alone drive them competitively. Bill T.

Oh, I agree with you absolutely!

Cars that are built specifically for the track behave in a completely different manner. I learnt this as a younger driving in South Africa. I went to get my Institute of Advanced Motorists certification, and at the track where we did our testing, they had some concept cars that they had been racing that day. A few of us got to take them around the track, and I have to admit that I was surprised. Cornering felt completely different, and steering was so exact it was scary!!!! And that was over 20 years ago ~ Imagine what the technology is like today!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I drove at the Richard Petty Driving Experience here at the 1 1/2 mile NASCAR track in Las Vegas, averaged 137mph for 8 laps...what a blast, can't wait to do it again... :)
I have some PC racing sims I play sometimes simular to the first video.
I have a steering wheel with paddle controls....turn up all 7 of my computer speakers and hear those engines scream... :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts