National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
inherited my grandmother's 1903 Colt hammerless. I asked my husband to pick me up some 32 ammo, but forgot to mention the acp detail. He bought me 32 Remington UMC, center fire, fmj. Does it matter that they aren't marked "ACP"? Is this just a stupid question? Still like to know, though. My granny used it to chase vagrants off her property. Her pit bull probably helped.

·
Registered
19,754 Posts
The headstamp at the rim end of the cartridge should read .32 ACP. Otherwise you may have .32 Smith & Wesson rimmed revolver ammo. Also, perhaps the box may tell you what gun (revolver or auto) the ammo is strictly intended for.

It's a very appropriate question and you are correct to inquire about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me, Stevejet. The ammo is definitely centerfire, but it only says 32 Auto and R P on the end. Description says it's brass. I shot the Colt 1903 20 years ago at the family farm, but hadn't picked it up since. I went to clean it last week and found out it was missing the retractor spring guide (!). I am pretty sure it was fired some without that part. SHEESH! I've ordered a used guide from Numrich which is supposed to get here tomorrow. My intention was to take it to the local gun range to shoot it, but I have to head down to the family farm for a few weeks and figured I could get some practice without the range fees. The missing guide bolt really shook me up, and I didn't want to compound the problem by shooting the wrong load. 32 ACP is not that easy to find, and even in Texas, the sporting good stores don't do returns on ammo.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,361 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

The box end flap should read

32 AUTOMATIC
71 GR. MC L32AP

Like this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip--the recoil spring is easy-peasy to replace, but I watched a youtube video on completely dismantling the colt 1903 and it was totally intimidated. I have every wood-working machine you can imagine, and have made a lot of furniture, but I still can admit I have no natural mechanical ability. I have no idea how much it would cost to get a gunsmith to diagnose the health of my granny's pistol. I have gotten the pieces that I can get to squeaky clean, but that's about all that I can claim.

Thanks Dog Soldier

·
Super Moderator
14,765 Posts
Having a qualified gunsmith go over your gun is a very wise move on your part. A catastrophic failure could ruin your day.
This may be your once of prevention. Note the emphasis.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,765 Posts
Colt used to do this stuff. Don't know if they still do.

Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts