National Gun Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I picked one of these up this afternoon. I believe it has a 5.5” barrel. Beautiful little gun between the color case hardening and the high polished bluing.

View attachment 124305
They also had a matching pair of 1858 conversions in 45 colt for $830/pair. Both used but one had never been fired. I ended up passing on them. I think I want the stainless one instead of the blue. Possibly a case hardened version if they make it.
Dang! That's a nice lookin' revolver. Do you know if it's made with the 4 ¾ inch barrel in .45 Colt?

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finally got my magnum cylinder and got it fitted, checked timing and fired 12 rds of .22 magnum through it. For the record, they don’t really go any faster. Maybe 30-50 FPS faster than the Winchester Super X .22LR (1300 fps rated). Might move a little faster than the Remington thunderbolts but I’ll have to test that. Those are 1080 FPS rated, I think. Cylinder is fitted to the frame perfectly, however, the cylinder itself might be a hair shorter than the original because the cylinder gap is a little more. I may take another hair more off around the cylinder pin and see if it closes up a. There is no play in it now and I don’t want any so I’ll have to maul that over a bit. I can probably take a hair and not have play but it won’t be more than .001.

Fortunately, I didn’t have to mess with the timing. I did get some tiny brass colored beads in the chamber when fired. I will have to take a shell apart and look inside because it looks like golden color beads, possibly powder.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Finally got my magnum cylinder and got it fitted, checked timing and fired 12 rds of .22 magnum through it. For the record, they don’t really go any faster. Maybe 30-50 FPS faster than the Winchester Super X .22LR (1300 fps rated). Might move a little faster than the Remington thunderbolts but I’ll have to test that. Those are 1080 FPS rated,
A handgun barrel is too short to let the ,22 Mag shine. Its, really, a rifle caliber.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts