National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked one of these up this afternoon. I believe it has a 5.5” barrel. Beautiful little gun between the color case hardening and the high polished bluing.

They also had a matching pair of 1858 conversions in 45 colt for $830/pair. Both used but one had never been fired. I ended up passing on them. I think I want the stainless one instead of the blue. Possibly a case hardened version if they make it.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
I had an Uberti Cattleman 1873 Colt Replica with a brass grip frame in 44 Magnum (they don't make it in .44 mag anymore). It was a neat little gun but it rotated rather violently (probably because of the plow handle grip). I used a 2-handed grip and kept forgetting how viciously it rotated and would wind up with my little finger between the grip and the palm of my hand. As a result, my pinky would get squashed and turn purple. So, I'd try to remember that "this is the wicked little Uberti" and get my pinky out of the way. OK...I really didn't think of it as "wicked" but it smashed my finger more than once. I think that even Uberti had heard something about this so they quit making it in .44 mag.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol. That 45 Colt Buntline is enough recoil for me on one of these frames.

I didn’t realize the Stallion Target had more calibers. This one is the .22LR. I saw when I was going through the Taylor’s parts list that the regular 1873 Stallion has a .32 H&R barrel and cylinder available. May look for one.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
Lol. That 45 Colt Buntline is enough recoil for me on one of these frames.

I didn’t realize the Stallion Target had more calibers. This one is the .22LR. I saw when I was going through the Taylor’s parts list that the regular 1873 Stallion has a .32 H&R barrel and cylinder available. May look for one.
I used to load my 45 Colts up to near 44 magnum energies but only in my Rugers (Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks). Several of the early loading manuals had loads marked "Ruger Only".

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I had an Uberti Cattleman 1873 Colt Replica with a brass grip frame in 44 Magnum (they don't make it in .44 mag anymore)
Uberti still makes an 1873 copy in .44 Mag. It is called The Calahan. Years ago they also offered a flattop version in .44 Mag. called the Buckhorn.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
Uberti still makes an 1873 copy in .44 Mag. It is called The Calahan. Years ago they also offered a flattop version in .44 Mag. called the Buckhorn.
Uberti stopped making 44 magnum 1973 Colt replicas (including the Calahan) a long time ago. I think around 2013.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
Uberti stopped making 44 magnum 1973 Colt replicas (including the Calahan) a long time ago. I think around 2013.
I just checked again. Uberti stopped making the Calahan 44 magnum years ago but it looks like they have started again. Maybe the Calahan is heavier than the Cattleman that I had anyway, sorry that I was misinformed Mike!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I worked on one of the Buckhorn models that belonged to a friend, I replaced a broken mainspring. That Buckhorn frame looked a lot stouter than the standard Cattleman frame. Looked to be nearly as beefy as a Blackhawk frame. I don't know much about the Calahan model other than seeing it listed on the Uberti site.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I worked on one of the Buckhorn models that belonged to a friend, I replaced a broken mainspring. That Buckhorn frame looked a lot stouter than the standard Cattleman frame. Looked to be nearly as beefy as a Blackhawk frame. I don't know much about the Calahan model other than seeing it listed on the Uberti site.
Good information, thanks.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I couldn’t resist. Needs a little wet sand around the inside areas of the trigger guard but it turned out ok.

Once the .22 magnum cylinder comes in, it should make for a nice companion piece for the .22 magnum Golden Boy.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I posted this to another forum so I figured I'd post it here. This is the Henry collection so far and the guns they are paired with. I have some holes to fill with the 327, 41 and 30-30 but once I have at least one of those calibers it will feel a bit more complete. Had to take everything down to move the shelves to make room for the new Henrys.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I ordered the 22 mag cylinder. The receipt says 22 mag. What I got was a 17 Mach 2 cylinder. Good news is, had the barrel been a 17, the timing was spot on... lol

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
Order was probably filled by a millennial who used to get paid $7.50 an hour until the minimum wage was raised to $15/hr.

--Wag--

Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 20 of 22 Posts