National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
AZHerper
5,163 Posts
Nice! I had an Uberti Cattleman with a brass grip frame in .44 magnum (they don't offer them in .44 mag anymore). I was a good gun but seemed to have a tendency to rotate violently. I had to remember to keep my pinky from slipping between my supporting hand and the bottom of the grip or it would get "squished".

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I had an Uberti Cattleman with a brass grip frame in .44 magnum (they don't offer them in .44 mag anymore). I was a good gun but seemed to have a tendency to rotate violently. I had to remember to keep my pinky from slipping between my supporting hand and the bottom of the grip or it would get "squished".
I bet that was a handful, brother. That’s a bit more power than the Colt was designed for. I saw a review on the 18” 1873, 44 mag version when looking for feedback on the 45 Colt I just bought. Was an English fellow I believe. That 44 Super Blackhawk I have is a bit heftier than the Uberti and it’s a handful.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Does it come with someone to hold up the barrel while you aim? Can you put a stock on that being it's 18"?

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it come with someone to hold up the barrel while you aim? Can you put a stock on that being it's 18"?
This seems like a good place to add some legal mumbo jumbo…

To answer the question, I think you can buy a stock.

·
AZHerper
5,163 Posts
I bet that was a handful, brother. That’s a bit more power than the Colt was designed for. I saw a review on the 18” 1873, 44 mag version when looking for feedback on the 45 Colt I just bought. Was an English fellow I believe. That 44 Super Blackhawk I have is a bit heftier than the Uberti and it’s a handful.
Yep...it was a handful but still a lot of fun! I had a 44 Super Blackhawk too. It was way more comfortable.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
This seems like a good place to add some legal mumbo jumbo…

To answer the question, I think you can buy a stock.
Ok i thought so, now you just need to see if anyone makes one for it. There are a ton of pistols(with barrels under 16") that you are allowed to have stocks on with no paperwork. They are older antique guns and most of them military and would have originally came with stock like the C-96 mauser, some Lugers and a bunch of others. The ATF has a whole list of ones that are allowed and many if not all even have serial numbers listed. Same is true for some SBR rifles. Some are Winchesters that originally came that way. My brothers father in law had a old Marlin that came with a 15.5" barrel that was exempt. I wish i knew where that rifle ended up.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok i thought so, now you just need to see if anyone makes one for it. There are a ton of pistols(with barrels under 16") that you are allowed to have stocks on with no paperwork. They are older antique guns and most of them military and would have originally came with stock like the C-96 mauser, some Lugers and a bunch of others. The ATF has a whole list of ones that are allowed and many if not all even have serial numbers listed. Same is true for some SBR rifles. Some are Winchesters that originally came that way. My brothers father in law had a old Marlin that came with a 15.5" barrel that was exempt. I wish i knew where that rifle ended up.
While that may be true, it doesn’t apply to old models manufactured in present day.

We took the Wyatt Earp 10” 1873 Buntline and compared it to an actual Colt from that period and they were virtually identical. I’m sure that any stock made for that gun would probably work given the way they clamp on. For the record, I’d never do that because it’d likely damage the revolver’s finish.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 16 inch 44 mag Uberti with the stock. I only fired a few rounds through it.

The blow back into my face was tremendous!

I kept it as a wall hanger for 20 years, then traded it off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Perhaps elementary questions:
I believe, generally a longer barreled rifle (let's say 24-26") will produce greater velocities than shorter (e.g. 18-20") in the same cartridge/load. I'd think is that based on rifle length barrels/cartridges/powders.
If that is true, does a looong (excessively long) barreled handgun and handgun cartridge with a generally accepted handgun loading (6-8" barrel) gain or lose velocity in a (excessively) long barrel?

If not clear, rephrase: does a handgun cartridge nominally loaded for a "usual" barrel length gain or loose velocity with the same load in a unusual length barrel?

-jb, thinking dichotomies :unsure:

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps elementary questions:
I believe, generally a longer barreled rifle (let's say 24-26") will produce greater velocities than shorter (e.g. 18-20") in the same cartridge/load. I'd think is that based on rifle length barrels/cartridges/powders.
If that is true, does a looong (excessively long) barreled handgun and handgun cartridge with a generally accepted handgun loading (6-8" barrel) gain or lose velocity in a (excessively) long barrel?

If not clear, rephrase: does a handgun cartridge nominally loaded for a "usual" barrel length gain or loose velocity with the same load in a unusual length barrel?

-jb, thinking dichotomies :unsure:
Yes. It’s evident when switching between 6” revolvers and 20” Henry lever guns. Depending on the cartridge, it could be a little 150-200 fps (38 special or 45 Colt) or a lot 300-400 fps (357 or 44 magnum). A lot depends on the powder too. I have 200gr 44 mags breaking 2000fps and 250gr 45 Colt breaking 1200 fps from the Henrys.

·
Registered
124 Posts
As I thought. Thanks Philmo. The common thought with some I know is "the longer barrel the higher the velocity." I'd often countered that it's theoretical the longer barrel may create such drag as to reduce velocity at some point. The factor as you suggest is, I would think the powder/bullet combination. Guessing a slower powder for the longer barrel.

-jb, winning the theoretical bet 🤝

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I thought. Thanks Philmo. The common thought with some I know is "the longer barrel the higher the velocity." I'd often countered that it's theoretical the longer barrel may create such drag as to reduce velocity at some point. The factor as you suggest is, I would think the powder/bullet combination. Guessing a slower powder for the longer barrel.

-jb, winning the theoretical bet 🤝
I will say that some powders create what I consider unstable velocities in long barrels. I attribute some of that to the fast burning powders essentially running out of gas before reaching the end. In those cases that drag can create 150-200 fps variation in velocity. I avoid loads that do that.

In other words, there is some truth to that as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,059 Posts
I will say that some powders create what I consider unstable velocities in long barrels. I attribute some of that to the fast burning powders essentially running out of gas before reaching the end. In those cases that drag can create 150-200 fps variation in velocity. I avoid loads that do that.

In other words, there is some truth to that as well.
Generally speaking, you want to load rifle rounds for your rifles and pistol rounds for your pistols.

--Wag--

1 - 20 of 26 Posts