National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

I just moved into my first two-story place and had some questions:

1. Does anyone keep a loaded gun on both floors?

2. Any opinions on how home defense tactics differ from a single story home?

I always have my King Cobra on the headboard and a Remington 870 in the bedroom closet...both are upstairs. But picture this; suppose I am downstairs watching 'Geronimo - An American Legend' on AMC and have a plate of jalapeno meatloaf and potatoes on my lap when someone tried to break in...not sure I would make it to the stairs before someone got in. What do y'all do? Another shotgun in a downstairs closet? 1911 in a kitchen drawer? Snub-nose under the couch? Fixed-blade combat knife in the entertainment center?

I choose not to 'carry' on me while at home...your ideas or chosen tactics appreciated.

G

·
Well here is my defense set up..i carry most 100% of the time usally a subcompact Glock .40

i have a trunk mount under the lid with my mossburg 500 w/ pistol grip.

I keep a 9mm taurus pt111 in the glove box

i also keep a glock slim frame .45 at my desk with magnetic mounts

then at bed time, i bring the glock 23 to bed and its on my night stand or in this sick slit i made on the bed side postioned for a quick draw..

If u can carry...carry... i just get enough guns so no madder where im at im ready to rock.. but some may say im sick :(

Cheaper then dirt.com has some nice mounts for parts of your house and car ableing you to have a quick draw...

good luck man.. stay armed!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I carry at home all the time...... ALL the time. When upstairs sleeping, there's a 1911 on my nightstand. If there's a break-in downstairs while I'm downstairs, I'll deal with what shows up. If I'm upstairs, I'll defend the upstairs, and call the cops.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
If you have, say, a coffee table, or end table with a drawer, might be a good place for a back-up, so to speak, as long as chirrens aren't running around!

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Sorry, cant remember if you have kids or not, or how old they are.

If you choose not to carry in the home, and have kids (even if they are trained and know about firearms) I would suggest a setup kind of like what I have in the bedroom.

Put a finger safe on one of the end tables. Get a home security system. Ours costs 40 a month, instillation was free, and it is set up so even if they do cut the phone lines, the alarm will still sound and notify the cops.

A large well trained dog is also always a good idea. Hell just having an untrained dog reduces the chances of someone breaking in something like 60% (or so I have read).

I still carry all the time. After a while it becomes habit and you don't even have to think to remember to put it on. You just do it. That does not mean you get complacent.

My philosophy is that if you are tough enough to get past my security system, my dogs, me, my piece, my wife and her piece, you can have everything I own. You earned it.

That aint going to happen.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only precious infant is 18 years old and is now a freshman Red-Raider, so it is only me in the house for the most part. I don't have a coffee table with a drawer, but it made me think about attaching a gun to the underneath side of it...or getting one that does...going to investigate that a little more.

I change from 'lawyer' clothes to workout apparel...then sometimes to the pool, then to boots/jeans if I go out...besides the fact that I don't like carrying at home, it would be annoying with as much as I change.

I am also one that would confront something that tried to break in even without a gun if necessary, but I also try to imagine a scenario where I might see someone in trouble and could grab a gun and run out the door to help.

I think dogs are the best home defense there is...all my years as an LEO, I can't even think of a time that I was called to a place that had been broken into where an evil dog resided. My previous home defense was a home way out on the farm...with a Doberman Pinscher and my patrol unit parked out front....let alone the sawed-off I carried everywhere.

For right now, I am just leaving a Taurus 5-shot .357 either in a kitchen drawer and then on the arm of the couch when I am watching TV at night until I can rig-up something more permanent.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Around the house I carry all the time. I homeschool, so most of the time it's just my daughter and I alone in the house, and my faithful Amstaff!!! ;)

At night we have the Mossy next to the bed, and both hubby and I have handguns in the nightstand.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I change from 'lawyer' clothes to workout apparel...then sometimes to the pool, then to boots/jeans if I go out...besides the fact that I don't like carrying at home, it would be annoying with as much as I change.
Two words. Paddle holster.

That is if you ever decided to carry. The under table holster may work out for ya.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Poop-boy. You guys made me feel better. Thought I was getting a tad paranoid. yes, we have a firearm within easy reach no matter where we are in the house. I carry when ever I go outside, even to pick up the puppy pies. I live in nice neighborhood. People look out for each other. We live about a quarter mile from two tree lined washes. Druggies, bums, professional homeless, mutants and zombies use it as a covered highway to move through neighborhoods un-noticed. A few years ago, a guy up the street heard a noise in his yard, went outside and pretty much got the crap beat out of him. Then the vermin went into his house, beat the hell out of his wife and ransacked the place. They both were lucky to get away with their lives. Both are liberal professors at the university. Their final response was to pack up, sell the house and move. These two were simply easy pickings, probably the Birkenstock's gave him away.

As far as I am concerned, you really can't take chances these days.

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
My cousin is a cop for polk county (Florida).
He also lives in a two story home with a two car garage, He keeps several guns around the house up and down stairs. He keeps a few handguns down stairs and he keeps a few handguns upstairs along with his shotgun in the bedroom. His point of doing that is you dont know what room you could be in if something were to happend.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
That's a good question. I also live in a 2 story home and asked myself the same thing. One option that I used for a while was to keep a handgun in an up high (out of kids reach)location on the first level in case of a home invasion so I didn't have to go upstairs for a gun. Currently I'm not comfortable with that option becuase under the circumstances I don't think any where on the first level is out of reach enough. I need to get a small safe that allows quick access for the first floor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts