National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday I picked up 2 awesome guns. My great great grandpas 16 gauge 1897, and for 400 dollars a 1884 (Produced 1891) Springfield Trapdoor rifle with a spike bayonet! Wondering you're guys' opinion on the buy.

I stayed up late last night tearing it apart and cleaning the 84', the wood is mint, all internal parts are great, it appears that possibly at one time it was caringly restored and then it fell back into disrepair, There's remnants of hot case bluing on the bloc, and under the wood the bluing is perfect. its covered in rust speckles on top of the bluing that's not under the wood. Really the only thing that's in poor shape on this gun is the bore, someone really went to great lengths to not clean it, really rusty, fair pitting, but not unfixable... All in all I got attached to this poor old gun, and I just couldn't let it go.

Tool Gas Natural material Metal Titanium
Brown Wood Wall Brick Metal
Wood Plant Brick Brickwork Door
Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Wood stain Tool
Brown Wood Door Household hardware Pattern

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. The bore appears to have a lot of crystallization, not necessarily pitting, having a hard time getting it out, rifling is still there thankfully. I'll be a shooter!

@jarhead127 Yes, priceless indeed! I hope to get the 2 9/16 ammo and go hunt in the same woods around the family property that both my great grandfathers hunted 50, and 100 years ago. My Great grandfather died in just the past 2 months, and I was the only one who showed interest in his shotgun, (Surprisingly) so I got it. It'll never leave the family, a real heirloom.

·
AZHerper
4,904 Posts
Maybe I missed something but I didn't see what caliber the Springfield was chambered for. I took my first deer with a trapdoor Springfield chambered in 7X57 mm Mauser. I borrowed this gun from a friend and took the deer with one shot (handy because it's a single-shot rifle). It brings back memories. This was back in about 1955.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
$400 for a trapdoor with bayonet seems awfully cheap. I sold a similar one with spike bayonet about 7 years ago for $900.

·
Super Moderator
12,877 Posts
Very nice!

--Wag--

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@gvaldeg1 45-70 Gv't, I hear the later ones (Like this one) are good shooters, but the guy I bought it from said only to use Remington and Subsonic in it.

@Square target I know! I thought so too. I think it was so cheap because of the apparent condition of the bore. But everything else on the gun is basically mint with rust speckles, after one night of cleaning it looked like a thousand dollar gun. I'll try to send a bore picture in the morning.

@Wag thanks mr. wag! first time buying something like this, glad I got a fair deal. Now to find the ammo...

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
@gvaldeg1 45-70 Gv't, I hear the later ones (Like this one) are good shooters, but the guy I bought it from said only to use Remington and Subsonic in it.
You probably don't want to shoot any factory ammo through that rifle. Not sure if anyone makes any 45-70 ammo specifically designed for a trap door or not but there are basically 3 levels of 45-70 ammo when loading and of course that rifle takes the lowest pressure rounds. You can easily blow one up shooting regular 45-70 ammo in it. They were black powder guns and many people still load black powder rounds to shoot in them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for that valuable information, I was just planning on buying some subsonic factory loads and having a blast. So then where can I buy black powder 45-70? sounds like a cowboy action shooting website is needed.

Question: The other gun, my late grandpas, I wont to make that one a shooter. As you probably know, since its a 16 gauge 1897 from 1910 it has a 2 9/16 chamber. Would 2 1/2 be safe in this? (Low power of course) also I have a number of old paper .16 loads from the 1950s, I measured and they would be a safe length, but are they Safe as in not blowing up or being to old?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I would be leery of anything that old being able to handle modern ammunition.

Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just read something about how SAMMI said that 45-70 loads under or between 18,000 to 20,000 PSI are safe for Trapdoor rifles, and how most Remington loads don't exceed 21,000 PSI. So would you guys agree that if I did find modern ammo under 20,000 PSI it would be safe? Right now the BP loads at Buffalo are outta stock...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh here are the bore shots I was meaning to send. As you can see, it has these weird crystalline rings I that I cant clean out, other than that and some fair pitting the rifling is good.

Cloud Water Sky Azure Art
Atmospheric phenomenon Astronomical object Lens flare Sky Automotive lighting

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
You also may not want to shoot black powder loads through it either unless you are willing to do the proper disassembly and cleaning. <---that would be up to you. Like i said i don't know of anyone who makes loads safe for a trap door except probably the BP loads you mentioned from Buffalo arms. There are smokeless powder loads that are perfectly safe for those rifles BUT you're generally going to have to reload them yourself.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You also may not want to shoot black powder loads through it either unless you are willing to do the proper disassembly and cleaning. <---that would be up to you. Like i said i don't know of anyone who makes loads safe for a trap door except probably the BP loads you mentioned from Buffalo arms. There are smokeless powder loads that are perfectly safe for those rifles BUT you're generally going to have to reload them yourself.
I'd be willing to do the cleaning, I already do black power, I know the responsibility. Personally I enjoy the cleaning. In my book, if it ain't a wall hanger, its a shooter! I hope to not to have to reload, I know people who do it, and I'd rather it stay that way. I can deal with black powder muzzle loading, but past that I just don't feel comfortable. So, IF POSSIBLE, I hope to find safe loads and not make them.

·
Aim true !
12,184 Posts
Lymans 3rd and 4th cast books have plenty of low pressure loads for the 45/70. With smokeless powders. If you go that route stay away from the Ruger loads. Those are higher pressue.
Product Font Electric blue Publication Paper

Reactions: Comrade Thadd

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
Lovely! thanks Coal, does it make any difference that mine's the '84 and not the 1873? I'm guessing not but I wont to be sure.
No it does not matter, those loads are for all trap door rifles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts