National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they do it?

I have tried to spin my single action Rugers on my fingers and all I do is drop the gun and hurt my fingers. There must be a trick to it, if they can train actors like Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and many recent gunfighter types to do it why can't I do it too?

Anyone know the trick?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Frist you have to get your hand in shape. Then after a couple hundred hours of practice you should be getting there. For the movie stars they have special lighten guns just for that one shot and then most of the time it's done by a pro. You notice you don't see a wide angle shot just the gun twriling and going in the holster. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Remember that you are twirling an object that is not balanced for that. Learning how to maintain that motion while compensating for the uneven weight on one side is the trick. I have more luck spinning them backwards that forwards as well....why, I don't know. Dropping them back into the holster in the spin is the easy part though.

Quick embarassing story: I recovered a stolen Ruger (Vaquero maybe) that was in a western set-up during a search warrant on a drug house. The next day at work while I was trying to track down an owner for it, I took off my duty belt and put on the rig and walked around the office showing everyone why I was the fastest draw on the department. Although everyone thought I was out of my mind while spinning that six-gun in my best 'Johnny Ringo' impression, I was putting on a good show...right up until it flew out of my hand and hit the receptionist's window, landed on her desk and knocked the phone on the floor. I was told by one of my Sargeants "You're no daisy".

P.S. I did redeem myself by returning that gun and rig to the rightful owner after tracking him through ATF...finally. The owner hadn't recorded the serial #, which makes finding the owner real difficult. I think that made me a daisy again.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SatanzBountyHunter said:
Remember that you are twirling an object that is not balanced for that. Learning how to maintain that motion while compensating for the uneven weight on one side is the trick. I have more luck spinning them backwards that forwards as well....why, I don't know. Dropping them back into the holster in the spin is the easy part though.

Quick embarrassing story: I recovered a stolen Ruger (Vaquero maybe) that was in a western set-up during a search warrant on a drug house. The next day at work while I was trying to track down an owner for it, I took off my duty belt and put on the rig and walked around the office showing everyone why I was the fastest draw on the department. Although everyone thought I was out of my mind while spinning that six-gun in my best 'Johnny Ringo' impression, I was putting on a good show...right up until it flew out of my hand and hit the receptionist's window, landed on her desk and knocked the phone on the floor. I was told by one of my Sergeants "You're no daisy".

P.S. I did redeem myself by returning that gun and rig to the rightful owner after tracking him through ATF...finally. The owner hadn't recorded the serial #, which makes finding the owner real difficult. I think that made me a daisy again.

Now that's a funny story! I can picture that happening and your face becoming very red from embarrassment. ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Glad you managed to return the gun to the rightful owner. Un......did it have a dent where it landed on the desk?

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I think I had that "where the hell did it just go" look on my face when it happened...that was what everyone was laughing about anyway.

No dents in the gun or desk...my pride a little bit maybe.

What kind of gun are you practicing with?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SatanzBountyHunter said:
I think I had that "where the hell did it just go" look on my face when it happened...that was what everyone was laughing about anyway.

No dents in the gun or desk...my pride a little bit maybe.

What kind of gun are you practicing with?
I have an old Ruger Single Six 22 LR with black pearl grips that I bought for $49 back in 1961. Love that old revolver. Shoots good and still looks good. I can't spin it for shitzzz and have dropped in on the carpeted floor many times.

Giving the movie stars lightweight fake guns painted to look real makes sense. I bet that is how Audy Murphy, who played Billy the Kid did such a fine job of gun play.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well, I suppose this will prove I'm older than dirt, but Rodd Redwing was the fastest draw Hollywood ever saw.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rodd Redwing (Roderic/Rodric Redwing), (August 24, 1904, New York, NY - May 30, 1971, Los Angeles, CA), was a Native American actor, noted for being the world’s greatest quick-draw artist with six-guns. He holds the record with two-tenths of a second, reaching for his six-gun, pulling it out of the holster, and firing.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Just don't try it with a Glock! :lol: Bill T.

G

·
As a kid I owned a colt SA look alike BB gun, near the same weight too. I used to twirl that thing for hours, that little bit of cowboy in us never really dies :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts