National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Do you have any experience with 12 gauge shotguns? Can you maintain a semi-auto shotgun? What is your intended use or purpose? Hunting, home protection, casual or competition? The Benelli is a very good gun. It would serve you well.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,401 Posts
Benelli's Nova is a 'next generation' pump action shotgun. Its a darned good shotgun.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
When a simple question is asked there are usually several questions that need to be asked in response to get a good answer. Lets just make some assumptions and just say a 12GA pump shotgun is an excellent first choice. It's the most versatile gun there is.

I'm not familiar with that model but Benelli is an excellent brand of shotgun. I've handled a SBE II and Ethos and considered getting one but was hard to justify since my shot gunning has tapered off. Not to mention the price which is twice or three times or more the price of the Nova you are considering.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Benelli is an excellent choice.
A lot of if it is the best choice for you will be the primary reason, what is the intended purpose of the shotgun?
Hunting, Trap and Skeet shooting, home defense. In some choices a pump action is not the best option.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Just a recommendation here. If this is your first 12 gauge start out with some 2 3/4 bird shot loads and work your way up to some stiffer loads in the same length before you start shooting some 3 1/2 magnum loads. Nothing will discourage you from shooting more than some heavy recoil you're not used to right off.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,519 Posts
Would you say that the Benelli is good for all those uses ?
In a word... No.

Guns are tools and there is no one size fits all approach. For example a 28 inch shotgun is not as well suited for home defense as a 18 inch barreled shotgun. A pump shotgun is not as ideal for shooting clays as a break action.
That said, the gun you have is better than the one you don't.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I prefer the Mossberg 500.
NOT because it is any better than a Benelli, but because for less cost, you can get the package with both the
18 and 28 inch barrels which are interchangeable. More options, less money.
But Benelli is a good gun, if you already have your barrel size sorted out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is the benelli nova a good 12 gauge for a first?
A less expensive option then a Benelli would be a pump action Mossberg model 500. This is a pretty basic 12 gauge. Very easy to break down and clean. Shouldn't run you over $225-$250. They have been made for MANY years and there are a LOT of them available. Swapping out stocks, adding pictatiny rails or other customization is easilly done. Is it as nice as a Benilli? No. But it has a low cost point and will get the job done for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts