National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaded 5 rounds with .312 coated cast 95 grain. With 8 grains of red dot. Crimped on the lube grove. Next decent day i'll try them. The rest of my casings i loaded with 151 grain coated cast. Kept the charge the same.
I have a universal flaring die so i can bump up diameters. So no coating shaving.

·
Live Free
3,121 Posts
Okay Coal, but I am sorta wondering why. 30/30 is not what you call an overwhelming cartridge in the first place, just fun plinking loads?

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes just for some plinking fun. I was reading on castboolets about how they load rifle with light weight boolets. If these work out ill load some for my Mosin then. I have the 95 grain for my SW 32 longs. I don't shoot the little revolver much.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Live Free
3,121 Posts
Yes just for some plinking fun. I was reading on castboolets about how they load rifle with light weight boolets. If these work out ill load some for my Mosin then. I have the 95 grain for my SW 32 longs. I don't shoot the little revolver much.
You have been having a lot of fun since you started reloading...that‘s good!

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes indeed. I remember when i started. Some one here said reloading is as fun as shooting.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
AZHerper
3,967 Posts
You and I agree on most things but you have an almost obsessive preoccupation with extremely low density loads which typically result in poor ignition, bad velocity spreads, and poor accuracy. If you want to shoot mice, pick something more suitable than a 30-30.

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i like to load rifle at cast data. And stretch my powder out. If a load does not shoot well. I'll try another load.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
My only question is why .312 boolits? You should use .309 unless your bore is worn out or somehow was made wrong. .312 is generally suited for military guns that run larger or inconsistent bore diameters like Mosins.

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The .312 are the only lighter ones i have. Besides some 120 grain .309 spire point. They say not to use them in a tube feed . Some of the guys on castboolets are running .312 in their .30 cals too. I deceded to try just the 5 rounds to see how they do. And i'll check for pressure signs and leading. The 151 grain are .309.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
30 cal and 32 cal can sort of be confusing sometimes. anything that starts with 7.62 is considered 30 cal while 32 cal is 7.65. 7.62x54 has an average bullet diameter of .312 and so does 32acp. Most(if not all) American made 30 cal is going to be .308 with pretty consistent bore diameters due to better manufacturing even dating back to the turn of the century. Foreign made guns not so much. I have heard of mosins being .310 up to .318. I have two that are .311 and .314. It's always wise to slug bores on those older guns and go .001 bigger when running lead.
The biggest problems you "may" have is leading and possible pressure problems with the oversize bullet. They also may work just fine too, just check your cases and bore after you shoot some.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Also you can use spitzer type bullets in a lever gun, just load them 1 at a time or chamber one and tube one for two shots. Not really feasible for hunting but for the range it's fine.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i have loaded some of the 120's . And feed them one at a time. They do shoot well for targets.
I was wrong too. They are .308.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
another excuse for a henry single shot......don't need to worry about bullet profile.....

dang it.....i am going to talk myself into one yet.....

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
dang it.....i am going to talk myself into one yet.....

If you need help with that you've came to the right place.

·
Boolit Master
9 Posts
I shoot the Lee .314" 32 cal. 90 gr. SWC bullet in all my 30 cal. rifles sized accordingly, Bullseye is my powder of choice. It's a fun load I put together back when 22 LR was nowhere to be found.
30-30 Plinker 90 gr. SWC.JPG

·
Genius in Training
505 Posts
8gr of red dot? Never loaded 30/30 before but aren't you getting into squib territory?

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8gr of red dot? Never loaded 30/30 before but aren't you getting into squib territory?
Not at all. I think it sends the boolet around 14-1500 fps. There is some who load the 95 grain boolets with 3.5 grains of bullseye powder. That is a mouse fart load lol.

Take a peek at this thread. My handle there is BigAlofPa.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts