National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like pickups?

I think that new Toyota Tundra is fantastic looking. Not cheap but a real quality piece of work!

Do you like it also?

·
Registered
761 Posts
sig232 said:
Do you like pickups?

I think that new Toyota Tundra is fantastic looking. Not cheap but a real quality piece of work!

Do you like it also?

Not as good a truck as the new 150s. If the new 150s weren't such a "pretty" truck on the outside, they'd be the best 1/2 ton work truck on the market.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't care for the Dodge look of the Tundra but that's a personal thang. The Tundras' introduction has not gone well. Plagued with camshaft failures, transmission failures, and extreme frame flex in their multi-construction frame has been the focus of many YouTube vids. The Tundra also fell from the coveted Consumer Reports Recommend Buy list to not a recommended buy. Since Toyota has taken the position to be the number one car maker in the US, their quality has taken the plunge. I can only assume that they are learning what Detroit already knows, the more and faster you produce, the more lemonade you get to drink. They are also learning about incentives like low interest loans, heavy discounts, and no charge content. It's also going to effect trade-in and resale value. Frankly, the first folks that bought the Tundy are going to take a bath on the money end. The Tundra won't bring anymore money at trade, except at a Toyota dealership, than a Ford or GM truck which can be purchased at a considerable savings over the Tundy. Not cost effective to own a new Tundra. But to fix one still requires a letter of credit from your bank.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford 150! You need to pick up Consumers Reports and look at all the repair problems they have over the last 5-10 years. The Toyota's quality level is 10 times better! Same with Chevy and Dodge, sad to say but the facts are the facts.

·
Registered
761 Posts
sig232 said:
Ford 150! You need to pick up Consumers Reports and look at all the repair problems they have over the last 5-10 years. The Toyota's quality level is 10 times better! Same with Chevy and Dodge, sad to say but the facts are the facts.

That may be true, but the thing to remember about statistics is that they only use the information they gather. If someone has a desire to make one product look bad, they'll take more repair reports from that product and less from another. Statistics are easily skewed by the people writing them, that's why I don't listen to them.

All of the F-series owners that I've talked to have had nothing but praise for their trucks.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
sig232 said:

We have a friend with a F150 and he does nothing but complain about the quality and finish.

We have a 2004 Tundra Double Cab, and love it!! It's very roomy and has been up to Toyota standards in super reliability. The only thing that I don't like is the gas consumption, but that can be expected from a 4.7 V8!!! :shock:

Rich has had his eye on trading up to the new one, but hasn't done anything yet.......

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zulu7 said:
sig232 said:

That may be true, but the thing to remember about statistics is that they only use the information they gather. If someone has a desire to make one product look bad, they'll take more repair reports from that product and less from another. Statistics are easily skewed by the people writing them, that's why I don't listen to them.

All of the F-series owners that I've talked to have had nothing but praise for their trucks.

But remember that Consumer Reports in not a foreign owned company nor is JD Power. They would like nothing better than to show American products as the better product. They only compile the data sent in by all the Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota and other owners! Facts are the facts.

People love their Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks! I loved my Jeep Grand Cherokees. But they still have lots of problems with them and they cost more to run. "Much Worse Than Average Repair Records!"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Since you want to use the Consumer Reports as a benchmark, here's the scoop on the not so good Tundra.
http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 148/AUTO01

The Chevrolet and GMC offerings rate higher than the Tundra for overall value, fit and finish and quality. Ford has been raising the bar. Toyota has not been keeping up with the rest of the makers and is loosing ground. The earlier Tundras as in pre 2006, have also had issues like the ball joints failing in as little as 30,000 miles. The brakes on this model have been a disaster and it's strange that the Explorer was pounded for its rollovers when the pre 2006 Tundra has the same issues and is a known roller when tires are inflated to manufacturers specs but you never heard about that in the news. And then there are the engines. Better change your timing belt if you own a 4.7 at 80,000 miles or expect to buy a new engine when it breaks. The Ford Triton 4.6, however, has been on Wards Ten Best engines list for years, something Toyota has not accomplished with any of their truck engines.
I drive a Ford, 2004 Supercrew and while I'm not necessarily happy with it, it has been very relaible in the 86,000 miles I've put on it. I don't like the ergonomics in the truck and frankly, they suck but the running gear is solid and reliable. As far as looks go, I don't like any of the trucks. They all seemingly want to look like the Dodge with the gapping grille. Not for me thank you. And by the way, my SCrew gets 18-19 mpgs town and 22.5- 24.5 hiway at 65 mph. Beat that with a Toyota- don't think so, even with a V6.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trapper L said:
Since you want to use the Consumer Reports as a benchmark, here's the scoop on the not so good Tundra.
http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 148/AUTO01

The Chevrolet and GMC offerings rate higher than the Tundra for overall value, fit and finish and quality. Ford has been raising the bar. Toyota has not been keeping up with the rest of the makers and is loosing ground. The earlier Tundras as in pre 2006, have also had issues like the ball joints failing in as little as 30,000 miles. The brakes on this model have been a disaster and it's strange that the Explorer was pounded for its rollovers when the pre 2006 Tundra has the same issues and is a known roller when tires are inflated to manufacturers specs but you never heard about that in the news. And then there are the engines. Better change your timing belt if you own a 4.7 at 80,000 miles or expect to buy a new engine when it breaks. The Ford Triton 4.6, however, has been on Wards Ten Best engines list for years, something Toyota has not accomplished with any of their truck engines.
I drive a Ford, 2004 Supercrew and while I'm not necessarily happy with it, it has been very relaible in the 86,000 miles I've put on it. I don't like the ergonomics in the truck and frankly, they suck but the running gear is solid and reliable. As far as looks go, I don't like any of the trucks. They all seemingly want to look like the Dodge with the gapping grille. Not for me thank you. And by the way, my SCrew gets 18-19 mpgs town and 22.5- 24.5 hiway at 65 mph. Beat that with a Toyota- don't think so, even with a V6.

Interesting spin by of all publications, The DETROIT NEWS! The are owned by the us automakers!
Thats funny!

One of the last sentences at the bottom of the article says it all:

Thirty-four of 39 models on the "most reliable" list are Asian

I do like the comfort of the American trucks and autos, but reliability. Nope they ain't close yet.

The comment about the drive belt is funny too! The Toyota, Honda, Mazda, other Asian cars are all overhead cam engines, they all require a belt change at 60-80,000 miles, its in the manual. Its been known since the 1980, I have had several, that's how they drive the more sophisticated overhead cam camshafts which by the way are much more efficient and develop more power and reliability per Liter of engine size.

The US companies are trying to move as fast as they can over to overhead cam technology and have several in production currently. It eliminates the lifters and long pushrods, which can zap power from autos. The overhead cam technology has long been used in Asian motorcycle engines and their cars since the 1970's. Most of the better European car makers have been using that technology for years also.

US automakers are required to pump their reasearch and development money into union wages and benefits which is the reason they are losing market share at such a rapid pace. If they don't get a handle on the medical costs and retirement funding they are not going to be around for too may years to come. A sad trend, but they appear to be following Englands lead in losing a once proud industry.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The belt on the 4.7 will cause the pistons to slam into the valves should the belt break. It is an interference engine as is most of Toyota engines. You don't have issues like that with the US made OHC engines. The cam timing is on a steel chain. The Ford 4.6 is over 15 years old now and is an OHC engine. Most of the engines produced, US and foreign, are OHC designs. The OHC is nothing new and Ford has been making them since the late 60's. If you like foreign made vehicles Toyota has been the reliable one with Honda. But the new Tundra isn't on their best made list. Given time I'm sure Toyota will address the issues and produce a reasonably reliable truck. But just like the new Tacoma, it came to the market with LOTS of flaws and the consumer was the test dummy. Looks like Toyota is learning a lot from Detroit.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
The Ford F-150/250/350 is the best truck on the market with Dodge and Chevy close by. We use our trucks where we live...driving across pastures, feeding hay from them, pulling horse trailers and grain augers, irrigating...etc. Everyone around here stays with the American brands...the few that have tried Toyota or Nissan have had nothing but trouble once you get those Jap rides off road or put them to work. I have pulled several of them out of the mud with my F-150 and it runs as good as it did new (2001 model...and always black)...and its a farm truck.

The consumer reports people don't haul horses or feed for a living and therefore I couldn't give a rat's A$$ what they think.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SatanzBountyHunter said:
The Ford F-150/250/350 is the best truck on the market with Dodge and Chevy close by. We use our trucks where we live...driving across pastures, feeding hay from them, pulling horse trailers and grain augers, irrigating...etc. Everyone around here stays with the American brands...the few that have tried Toyota or Nissan have had nothing but trouble once you get those Jap rides off road or put them to work. I have pulled several of them out of the mud with my F-150 and it runs as good as it did new (2001 model...and always black)...and its a farm truck.

The consumer reports people don't haul horses or feed for a living and therefore I couldn't give a rat's A$$ what they think.
I do agree that the Toyota and Nissan trucks were not large enough to compete with the pulling power of a domestic truck. But now that has all changed with the new larger, more powerful versions of Nissan and Toyota. In fact they are at the upper end of the HP race now, so we will see how they hold up in the future.

I don't think either of them offer a diesel as yet so they cannot compete with the Dodge Cummins or other brand V-8 diesels which have tremendous pulling torque!

I am a big fan of the Dodge Cummins diesel but recognize that they have quality issues with other facets of the truck.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I drive a F-150, those are God's trucks. One of my duties is the managing of a 200 unit fleet. The fleet is made up of just about anything you can think of except for a D9 Cat. The service/repair information I deal with shows that the Fords had greatly less trouble than the Chev's and Dodges. We have some Tundras, but they are only a year old and not enough data to make a call. I bought my truck about 2 years ago, and it never needed to go back to the dealer for anything. A friend of mine has had his Chevy back about 6 times for small but annoying sort of stuff.

G

·
Before we sold our family farm in 2005 we used Fords. Had since I was old enough to remember (1950). A lot of neighbors used the "cool Z-71" While the Z-71's were in the shop our Fords were out where the rubber meets the road; bouncing across terraces, bogging through mud to the "back field", hauling 150% of their rated capacity, pulling tractors out of bogs, doing things that Consumer Reports never dreamed of.
Remember that Consumer Reports gathers 100% of its data from subscribers. Just how many contractors, farmers, blue collar guys subscribe to Consumeer Reports?
Data is just like computer generated stuff. GI GO. Garbage in, garbage out.
More Fords are still on the road than ANY other brand- including Yota's.

Quad erat demonstrandum

·
Registered
177 Posts
Besides the above failures in the Tundra, looks like yet another major disaster for the truck. The tailgates are folding up when subjected to typical truck activities like loading an ATV or a dirt bike. They look like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... itled2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... itled3.jpg

Note last picture. The paper plates are still on the truck.

And now it looks like the Gov't might get involved with requiring Toyota to replace all 95,000 transmissions in the 5.7 Tundras. Yepper, now that's quality. Make mine a Ford, please. At least it won't cost me every thing I own to fix it.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Can't beat my new '08 Chevy Silverado. Here she is....

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Thanks, I like it too. It's called Silver Granite. Just got it last Friday. :i: :i: :i: --Shenine-- <-Had to use this one once

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a nice color. Let hope you have great luck with your new truck or trade often. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts