National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really believe this is a new question not like the other what handgun should I get ones you usually see. There are a few requirements that need to be met and there is a back story to why I am buying a new handgun. First off, I own currently a Mossberg 702 Plinkster rifle 22lr and then the gun I wish to replace and sell eventually is a Chiappa 1911-22lr handgun. The problem is that I didnt do enough research when I got the Chiappa, I have shot 22 rifles since I was young but I am not by far a gun expert as thats really the only gun I ve used mainly, I ve used here and there some other guns and one of them was a RIA M1911 45 ACP which got me into this 1911 craze. Now, not being really familiar with handguns, I wasn't aware that using a 22lr for a handgun especially for self defense and other more serious applications.

Not only is the caliber wrong but the Chiappa 1911-22 is a horrible built gun, it came with two mags and I bought two extra, I ve had about 25% FTFs and a few jams requiring a punch tool down the barrel and this was using various 22lr ammo that worked fine in my Mossberg but of course its a rifle but then again the barrel doesnt matter if it isnt even chambering the round correctly.

Anyway, let me get to the point, I am pretty set on buying a 9mm gun and I pretty much have a limit of $360 because its $40 for the FFL transfer so total $400 to spend. I ve had my eyes set on the Century Arms Int Zastava M70A 9mm, I would consider the M57A which is identical but shoots 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo which is very rare. Here is the catch, its easy to find extra mags for the M57A but there arent any right now it seems anywhere for the M70A, there is however a cousin the M88A but its a bit smaller 3.7" but has aftermarket mags available but I am hesistant, the others are 4.5 inches, I am afraid of going smaller than a 4" barrel for some odd reason. I really prefer practically a full sized handgun with 4" seeming to minimal, now I am no expert, so perhaps, someone can correct me on my mentality and state why getting the M88A over the M70A wouldnt be a big deal.

Finally, these are rare foreign imports. One has extremely rare ammo the Tokarev caliber but mags are abundant from the actual manufacturer. The others take 9mm ammo which I feel is strong enough for self defense over 22lr and I know someone will correct me on why 22lr is perfectly fine but I know I dont want to rely on that Chiappa 1911-22lr, I dont even feel its worth bringing out plinking/target shooting anymore. I am keeping the mossberg so I will have a 22lr rifle always anyway. Now considering their rarity its also going to be hard to find aftermarket parts, is there anything under $350 that is a 9mm that has good reliability supposedly these things are just like AK47s in durability and reliability.

I am open to sugesstions, the other issue is that a lot of websites selling handguns still restrict sending guns over 10 rds to Cook County where I live even though the law has changed and I ve emailed most of the big boys like buds, cheaperthandirt, impactguns, and others that when the CCW bill that just passed was instated, the state law now pre-empts handgun law and there are no longer any magazine capacity limits. So either it has to be 10 rd or less or luckily there is an online dealer who updates their site in a few days, so feel free to suggest some even if they are above 10 rd mag capacity. I am really liking the Zastavas but the rarity is a concern of mine but the price and what you get is hard to beat.

Sorry for this long post but I ve been researching and watching various youtube reviews and just cant find one gun that reaches out to me under the requirements specified.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Oh Thanks, I ve read one of these, my issue isnt whether its a good gun, my question is more since this is rare even though promising, am I going to run into problems if I want to modify it or if I bring it to a gunsmith or like I said finding spare mags from searching on google and ebay is close to nil. So I am worried about having a nice gun that I cant change anything on or have spare mags for. That was an issue with the Chiappa, its completely incompatible with everything but the grips from the 1911s, most clones esp 45s are completely interchangeable with colt parts and can use the same aftermarket mags, with Chiappa, there was no choice but to buy more chiappa mags which may be a good thing though because they are meant exactly for that gun, I just felt cheated with the Chiappa. I didnt do my research like now and didnt know either 22lr is a tricky caliber to deal with on handguns.

·
Guy with a Gun
646 Posts
Keeping in mind what happens to guns taken as evidence, I would reccomend against using a rare or valuable gun for self-defense. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
S&W has a striker-fired Glock knockoff in both 9mm and .40, the SD9 VE and SD40 VE. I would much rather use the latter to poke holes in real things. Retail is 380 on these but I have seen them for as low as 289, usually in the low 3s. They come in different magazine capacities if you have limits where you live.

Product: Model S&W SD9 VE - Std Capacity
Product: Model S&W SD9 VE - Std Capacity
I just shot one of the S&W 9mms yesterday and I loved everything about it except for the trigger, it didn't quite match up to the other guys Glock 17 in 9mm, but I liked it, my friend had his Taurus Pt709 Slim in 9mm and I liked that too, I recommend both, the Taurus is $350 but you can find them for a bit lower, if you want one that's easily concealed go with the Taurus, but S&W has a great reputation and double stack (higher capacity) mags, but remember what they say, Taurus has a warranty for a reason...

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
For $350-$400 ($300 when I bought mine) you can get a West German Bundeswehr or Polizei Walther P1 pistol - which is a post-WW2 improved P38. Most at that price range are in pristine to unissued condition, and they are awesome shooters. Most include a military holster and a second magazine. And, they're made of METAL. What a concept! Most were made in the 1970s and 1980s. I love mine. Check Gunbroker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
But I'm not exactly an expert (I'm not exactly an adult) so don't take my opinion too heavily, I hope you find a good 9mm, happy hunting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ve seen the S&W SD9 VE and was considering it and found a place with a decent price and dealer who is aware that we no longer have magazine capacities for handguns here in Cook County, so I can get the two 16 rd mags, finally... I might get this if its still available, I found a site with it for $299 woohoo I am waiting for a refund to hit my account from trying to buy on buds something that they made a mistake and canceled now I have to sit and wait these 3 business days for my OWN money to return to me, so I hope wednesday, the one I found, if not, I guess I could look for a 10rd version and just buy more mags, I allways thought capacity limit was stupid if there was no magazine amount limit, just buy more mags, problem solved. But if not, I am getting the M70A or M88A, I ve ruled out the M57A, 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo is too hard to find for a quality price and its either old ass surplus or reloaded, might as well do that myself if i was such a hobbyist, I already bought 9mm ammo in quite a few boxes, so I am commited to buying a 9mm LOL I did that on purpose, pick 40, 9mm,45, or 38/357 then find a gun for it. I did my research and 9mm wasnt the strongest but had prices almost as low as 22lr ammo with the 40 just a little more pricier. So, I think I will get the S&W because of the ability to buy extra mags but if I cant get a deal, I am gonna get zastava and wait till I can find mags, it seems like a perfect glove fitting handgun thats what I love about it. I just worry since its rare and doesnt have dozens of accessories, its gonna be difficult if I wanna mod it. Where the S&W I could easily find tons of stuff on a regular website instead of 1 website on page 7 on google search

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts
am I going to run into problems if I want to modify it or if I bring it to a gunsmith or like I said finding spare mags
Yup, yup and yup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts