National Gun Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
It’s been 10 months since I updated this thread. This is what it looks like today. The second section has been brought in and is preparing to be overhauled like the first. I’ll be moving the 1911s and double action to the new section.

Hopefully in the next couple of years add a section to the other side and have one western, one 1911 and one double action revolvers

I’ll be bumping the shelves down a little bit each to make room for 3 more rifles. All of the rifles will have to shift a couple inches up or down, haven’t decided yet which. I’ll probably move Nic’s Silver Boy to a shelf or my fireplace to make room for the last (9th) 20” Henry in the set. Either way, everything has to shift one way or the other unless I can come up with another plan.

You can see there’s a few inches I can shift up and still have a clear view of the top rifle. If I built a base for it to sit on, it would change the view point and probably give a couple more inches of wiggle room. It’s going to be tight.

There is no 45-70 in this set unfortunately, although, I’ll likely not stop at this cabinet. When it’s over, I need 9 rifles and 9 sets of revolvers in here (10 including the 2 derringers).

I got new pelts in to start the other cabinet. Unfortunately, I must have had a new driver that walked right past the 40” tall container that he drove right up to that says in large 3” reflective letters “DELIVERY DROPBOX”.

Needless to say, dogs got a whiff of animal fur and tore the box open... sadly some did not survive. One looks like it was wrapped around a grenade, largest piece was about 2” scattered across the front yard. 1 half a pelt pictured and 5 mostly whole pelts and one 3/4 pelt is what survived. Some of them were really nice pieces too.

Boys were nice enough to walk the property and collect them for me and clean them up while I was gone this today. Called the vendor and they will be filling a claim with the courier, and shipping me new ones.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It’s moving... slowly. It’s 2am, boys pooped out on me. No little helpers to go find me stuff, lol. Got another section of lights to wire. Tomorrow I need to find the right size hole saw to feed the power out the back. Right now it’s just an extension cord hanging out the front.

A glass door is being cleaned. 2 more shelves coming. Need to go to the hardware store and buy some trim work to redo the top and bottom of the cabinets. Looks a bit anemic at the moment but it won’t for long.

When it’s all finished and there are enough guns to split them apart again, I’ll start the 3rd cabinet on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
12,621 Posts
Still beautiful. Ya done great work there!

--Wag--

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well, I got the new package of pelts. They’re not in the same class as the previous ones. About 2/3 the size and about half the density of fur. Kind of disappointed in that considering the #1 reason they are in there it to protect the glass if one of these heavy stainless guns topples over. They aren’t unusable by any means, not preferred either. At least some of the previous were in good shape.

Compared to

Size comparison side by side

I understand fur thickness depends a lot on time of year, breed, etc, but the worst part, is the hide was shaved so thin the hairs is poking out the back side. I could easily push my finger through it. I looked at 4, all were like this. Not a lot of glass protection.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
So talking to a buddy who tans hides. Kind of looks like I’m going this direction...

Make something similar to one of these to hold 2-3 rifles that spans the top area of the case. Probably do a little wood burning into it.

View attachment 107970

Build out some side by side horseshoe racks similar to this and weld it all together so there is a big open area (no brackets) behind it. Hang this rack below the slab rack and he’ll make me a deer skin rug to put behind the rack. This will easily give me something to attach cable locks to. It’ll also allow me to offset the rifles so they lace together. Use some weather stripping to protect the guns from the horseshoes

View attachment 107972
I like these. You gave me an idea for a mule shoe with a hinge gate lock for each displayed rifle/shotgun. Horizonal is always best to reduce oil drain in the the stock wood. Yet the small donkey/mule shoe would secure the pistol grip area on most long guns.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
can't resist.....

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Only thing left is some trim work to cover up the aluminum angle strips i adhered the lights to. I was supposed to pickup my other 1911 today but no dice on the background coming back.

The cabinets look darker than they are. Camera compensates for the bright light.

The shelf brackets I bought didn’t quite fit. Took an angle grinder and cutting wheel to them, tapped them in place with a hammer. They shouldn’t move. The glass shelves were a perfect match. 10x27x3/8”. Can’t tell the difference, even the edges are finished the same. Cost me $56 each.

I have a line on a Springfield Loaded 1911. Been looking for it. If it’s still there tomorrow night, I’ll probably order it. I don’t like the look of those massive target sights they’ve been putting on the Target and Range Officer models. I’ll stick with Novak style sights.

I needs a 10mm 1911 and at least 1 Colt 1911. Maybe the same gun, we’ll see. @Popeye recommended looking at a Colt Delta Elite a while back. Been looking at it again. Also need a long slide. The door is still open on both. Either one can be 10mm. Hoping for a 40 S&W 1911 also. That’ll likely be it before I start the next cabinet. There’s a lot of spaces to fill before I get that far.

Also have a line on a pair of Ruger Single Six convertibles. I’ll see what my money situation looks like Friday. Those are iffy for the budget but I need a set of .22 mags for the .22 mag Henry.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Maxwell and I worked on the case today. Doesn’t look like it moved much but I got the shelves as close together as I can and still see everything. Each shelf got 1 notch closer together which freed up 2-3/4” above.

As it sits, I can get the .45 Colt and 30-30 above the revolvers just barely. In order to get the last one, (17hmr) at the top, I’m going to have to squeeze the rifles together about another 3/16” - 1/4” each. It’s going to be tight. That’ll free up 2 more inches at the top.

This brings me to a question. The Golden Boys have a steeper slant in the stock than the Big Boys. That means, either the barrels or the buttstock can be evenly spaced apart, but not both. The other option is like they currently are, the difference is split. I have no room for error. I get one shot without leaving a bunch of unsightly holes in the backboard. Which do you guys think will look best?

The top 2 are Golden Boys. The bottom 4 are Big Boys. The last option is to reverse the caliber order (currently smallest to largest) and put the Big Boys at the top and Golden Boys at the bottom.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts