National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My gun safe is nearing completion so I needed a winter project. I’ve longed for a nice display case for some of my western style guns. I came across a set of commercial trophy cases at a gov auction site that I think I can work with. Still have to pick them up.

They appear to be red oak which will make working with them nice and easy. I’ll likely strip them down to bare wood so I can customize as I wish, then, restrain for a nice uniform finish. This depends on if I can match the stain. They are big, no doubt why I got them so cheap. Be doing 1 for sure but not sure what to do with the other two. Will take a while to fill these. Hopefully have a man cave to put them in sometime in the next year or two. It would be nice to have the whole set for that purpose.

90"H x 80"W x 15"D
102"H x 40"W x 15"D
90"H x 32"W x 15"D

I’m posting the pics from the auction site for demonstration purposes. I’ll replace them with my own when I pick them up.

Furniture Shelving Cupboard Shelf Room

View attachment 107568

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
25,381 Posts
Before you start sanding, go to an hidden area of the wood and check to make sure it's not really partial-board with a super thin veneer of real oak.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you start sanding, go to an hidden area of the wood and check to make sure it's not really partial-board with a super thin veneer of real oak.
It’s always possible. If that were the case, I’d still be doing the project. Absolute worst case, I steal the glass and hardware and rebuild the case itself.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, apparently whoever listed this didn’t know anything about it. It was built where it was sitting as 1 case. After 2 hours, we managed to get it apart. The bases were completely destroyed in order to remove the last of the concrete anchors. It’s going to be some work, that I can tell you. Going to have to either donate one of them for parts since 4 of the 6 sides were never finished (trim or stain).

Property Wall Wood Door Room

Wood Wood stain Furniture Hardwood Plywood

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Wall Room

View attachment 107898

However, if I do pull it off, it’ll make a very nice set of display cases. Glass door locks came with them. Shelves are close to 1/2 thick glass.

Gun Shotgun Recreation Ceiling Air gun

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,045 Posts
I live in the suburbs. I see no reason to advertise. I converted a spare room into a safe (at considerable expense). Most all are locked up now.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the side fixed, stained to match (I know it’s kind of hard to see) and lights installed. That took a bit of effort. Need to trim out the crown molding at the top, Fix the bottom ledge and add feet. Don’t know if the glass shelves will stay or not. A coupe 2 or 3 tier rifle racks would work if the shelves stay. Who knows how I’ll feel in a few days. I’d rather be a bit more creative than that.

(now that I look at the pics, I think I need to move one of the shelf supports for the middle shelf. Appears to be out of alignment)

Furniture Shelf Wall Shelving Wood

Property Wall Room Tile Wood

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Sorry but I’m not a fan of displaying guns. During a break in, it will be the first thing stolen. My father always kept his guns tucked away in the dark corners of the many closets in the house. He got robbed and lost just about every gun he had along with his prized SXS Parker, LaFever and LC Smith shotguns. Gone forever. Mine are locked up behind steel with the exception of my home defense gun.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey, all valid points. I’ve given it some thought. Couple of things though. First, I live miles from civilization. Does that make me immune to breakin? Nope, but the risk is significantly lower. The nearest town has a population of 150-200 residents, the next one after that is several miles away. Second, they are under lock and key. Yes, glass is breakable but that will definitely get attention if someone is home. We can make it incredibly difficult to do a mash and grab by using cable locks to secure each one to the wall. Back wall is 1.5” thick and the side walls are 3” thick and they are solid, they’ll hold an anchor.

Side wall thickness
Property Room Wood Hardwood Wall

Can it still be done, yep, but if you brought the tools and had the time to cut each one loose, you probably had the time and tools to get in the safe. If it’s money they are after, I have more money hanging on my walls in Terry Redlin paintings than will be in this case. Insurance riders are a must. Finally, there’s no ammo in this location. It’s all in the safes. In the event someone is home and you do manage to get one free, you now have a club and will be met with a loaded gun.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
gun cabinets use to be an honest to God piece of furniture for the living room....it not the actual centerpiece......that was back when Sears, Wards, and Western Auto sold real wood cabinets.......back when things seem to be more "civil"..........each gun on display held a story of a former family member or a special memorable hunt.....and were conversation makers.

shame that things have turned......the only guns i display are some old single shots......loaded.........and ready.

two are on an old wall mounted wood gun rack................one is on a shop-made pine plank with leather-padded horse shoes as the gun cradle......

i think they look awful purty as works of art myself........though no one thinks much of old single shots nowadays.......i have fond memories....

most of everything else in in a security cabinet in the man cave....that no one is allowed to enter.....period.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey nothing wrong with a single shot. The purpose of this display is just for western style guns. Only family gun we have left is a single shot 12ga in my brothers possession. It’s in a safe and will be passed to his son. I’d only display what I could live without. As long as there’s no sentimental value, anything else can be replaced.

This thing sits in a 8x15 room literally by itself, it’s just viewable from the living room/dining room. A foyer piece if you will. The small cabinet is about the size of a traditional gun cabinet (once the base was removed) and will sit in my dining room. My centerpiece in the living room is big oak fireplace. There is 40’ straight line of sight between the fireplace and the big cabinet.

standing in the dining room looking the other direction
Christmas tree Christmas Christmas decoration Home Tree

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So talking to a buddy who tans hides. Kind of looks like I’m going this direction...

Make something similar to one of these to hold 2-3 rifles that spans the top area of the case. Probably do a little wood burning into it.

Musical instrument Wood Folk instrument

Build out some side by side horseshoe racks similar to this and weld it all together so there is a big open area (no brackets) behind it. Hang this rack below the slab rack and he’ll make me a deer skin rug to put behind the rack. This will easily give me something to attach cable locks to. It’ll also allow me to offset the rifles so they lace together. Use some weather stripping to protect the guns from the horseshoes

Iron Metal Font Shelf

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Measuring out the clearance needed between the guns and leaving room to lace the barrels together has prompted me to look at a variation of that horseshoe rack. I’ll need a size 6 shoe or bigger to do it exactly as pictured above to have clearance needed. Definitely still using horseshoes, but will be slightly different. Besides the width of the shoe, there are two other issues with that design. First being that there is nothing flat to rest the rifle against the back. I’d have to weld a rod in there to hold the rifle upright, otherwise, it would want to spin upside down. The second is that there is no adjustment to fit the stock of another model gun (if it were different). I’ll post a picture when I get the first one done.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ll get these welded tomorrow. I only made 2 so I can see what adjustments need made.

Stripping the factory coating off
Tire Floor Hammer drill Tool

Prototype. After welding I’ll paint with hammertone or clear coat depending on what it looks like. I used 1/8” clear tubing in the nail channel to protect the gun from the shoe and split 3/8” tubing and put it on the horn for the rifle to rest on. No part of the gun will actually touch the metal. Put a couple drops of superglue on it to hold it in place for the pic.
Handle Wood Games Horseshoes

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
run a 2x4 vertical in the back......and screw one side of the horse shoe into it with the shoe canted upward at 45 degrees making the shoe a cradle/hook.....run 2 vertical braces of such.......have the 2x4's bolted into the back wall?

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Probably tip back just a few degrees to ensure they stay if the case gets bumped. Not sure how it’ll be attached yet. The barrel rests in the center will be staggered and welded together because those will have to be in a specific spot. Might use slabs instead of 2x4. Slabs to match the mount at the top. A lot depends on how big the deer hide is.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts