National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my 30-30 today finally. I couldn't even get the hammer to drop. I was looking all over for a safety. My son figured it out then. You really have to grip the lever hard to fire it. I shot it then and got the sights set. But wondering if there is a way to lighten up the grip needed to fire it?

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
I don't think so, the lever has to be all the way closed so it pushes that inside the frame. Pretty sure the hammer should drop though if you don't have the lever closed but it won't fire. I could be wrong but it's been awhile since i had that happen.

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was messing around with it. It won't drop with the lever open. It will drop more easy if i pull back on the hammer some while the lever is closed. Im going to take it down and clean and lube it well and see how it does.

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI, pretty sure all levers work that way. I know my 1895 Marlin and my 336 Marlin do too, open lever, the trigger is not engaged.
I’d like to hear from someone with a Sav 99 ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
You're taking about this little piece(safety block) that pokes out of the bottom of the gun right?
20200116_050310[1].jpg

I just grabbed a Marlin out of the safe, my Winchesters are in the back and didn't feel like doing the 20 gun shuffle. With the lever slightly open where it's not contacting that safety block it will drop the hammer but in the back of the bolt there is a plunger between the hammer and firing pin. The plunger dips down when the safety block is down so the hammer will drop but that plunger won't hit the firing pin. It's been awhile since i had a Winchester apart and can't remember if it uses the same set up but I'm thinking it is different so the hammer might not drop on a 94.....Just went and looked up a schematic and it does not use the marlin style plunger set up. Maybe I'll dig my 94 out later and see if it will drop the hammer with the lever slightly open.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that's the little bugger lol.

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
Ok so i pulled out the 94 and it won't drop the hammer until that safety block is depressed. I don't have to grip it too hard to depress it and drop the hammer. If yours is really tight it may be something else binding too like the bolt going into battery or the lever itself. I seem to remember when i acquired mine it was stiff and there was a build up crap where the extractor meets into the edge of the chamber causing it to bind a little and i cleaned it out. I also took it all apart and oiled it nicely which i don't think was ever done to it before i got it. This is also the same gun i had problems with light primer strikes awhile back and found something online about a part of the trigger system could be filed a little to remedy it and it did. it's a semi newer AE model that has somewhat different internals than the older ones.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome thanks for checking.:thumbsup: I'll give it a good go over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Was laughing at myself after I posted. A trigger won’t pop on a bolt action either if the bolts not fully locked...
Makes great sense to require a fully locked action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
It should be easy, I can close mine with my pinky finger easily.

Press the safety with your finger, not the lever; to see if it is working properly. Something else might be the problem, whereas your bolt isn't closing far enough in order to engage the safety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts