National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey

I was on the Glock website and I saw something a bit confusing: trigger pull. It says the gun's trigger pull is 25N/~5.5lbs. What does that mean? Is that the recoil? I am 13 and I am starting to show interest on shooting, so I want to find a good handgun to start my practice. I want a handgun (not a revolver, a handgun) that has a low recoil and that is easy to shoot. I have never shot a gun in my entire life, so I don't want to grab a gun with too much power for me and then have the gun fly out of my hands. I also want something that is not really small, I want a good grip that fits my 5 fingers, not 2. But by good grip I also don't mean big, which for me means heavy, and will probably make me drop it to my nuts once I pick it up. Basically something with a good grip, light, low recoil and easy to shoot. Any suggestions? I really don't like rifles, they are just not my style.

I don't know a lot of gun brands. I know of Glock, S&W, and Taurus. Please guide an amateur here.

Thanks a lot,

good shooting!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
A revolver is a handgun. Handguns generally fall into two categories, pistols and revolvers. You think you want a pistol. Okay.

Start with a .22 rimfire. Off the top of my head, Ruger and Browning make quality .22 rimfire pistols.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Do you have any friends who have a Dad with some guns you could shoot? Maybe find somebody to run you through some safety and handling and then let you shoot a few.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You hit the jackpot. I saw the Mark3 before but it looks like so ugly I had to disconsider. Same thing with that 22/45, hahaha! I really liked the SR22 Rimfire pistol though. You hit the jackpot with that one, really.

Taurus seems to only make really powerful guns, and the trigger pull for the Glock guns are all the same.
Also, is the loading method of the SR22 the same as of a Glock? Put the magazine in, then cock it and shoot? Thats the way I learned to use a gun.

Also could you explain to me the concept of trigger pull concept?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do, but his guns are more heavy duty guns like ARs and stuff that I really don't think I will be able to handle to shoot for the first time. Also they stay in some ranch like, 500 miles away from civilisation and that doesn't really help, I think. I am thinking of going to a shooting range, they have appropriate guns and they give me a free 30 minute safety and handling class for beginners, so that really helps me out. They have classes to improve accuracy and stuff, so I will be doing good in the matter of 6 months if I do those classes in a weekly basis(?).

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I do, but his guns are more heavy duty guns like ARs and stuff that I really don't think I will be able to handle to shoot for the first time. Also they stay in some ranch like, 500 miles away from civilisation and that doesn't really help, I think. I am thinking of going to a shooting range, they have appropriate guns and they give me a free 30 minute safety and handling class for beginners, so that really helps me out. They have classes to improve accuracy and stuff, so I will be doing good in the matter of 6 months if I do those classes in a weekly basis(?).

The range idea is a very, very good one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just saw a POV video of a guy shooting a Ruger SR22. It seems dead-eye accurate and doesn't seem to have much recoil. a .22 is a really, really low caliber so I should expect a low recoil. I'm just really insecure, you know. I don't know if I can handle the recoil, I just feel a bit traumatised with that video of a person shooting a desert eagle and the gun's end hit her face. I don't know if I am strong enough for it. I can easily beat up several kids my age, and I occasionally work out. Even so, I have that insecurity. Guess I have to try out shooting Also, what is the difference of a standard barrel and a threaded barrel? The SR22 has these both barrel options, what is the difference?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
At 13 you're old enough and big enough to handle a .357 Magnum K or L frame S&W revolver. Since they can also fire very light .38 Special rounds, they're perfect for beginners. And as you gain experience, you can up the ammunition as you go. I was about your age when my Dear Ol' Dad bought me my first handgun and it was a .357 Magnum S&W Model 19. No other handgun is as versatile, flexible, accurate, reliable and durable as a quality revolver. More important, no other handgun is as safe, and as easy to handle, clean and maintain. Many an old timer will tell you that a quality .357 Magnum is the one handgun you always have. For self-defense, home defense, target shooting, plinking, or hunting, the .357 Magnum is not just a jack of all trades, it's a master of them all as well.

Trigger pull is a function of weight (resistance) and travel (distance). To make a weapon discharge, it's trigger must be "pulled" (more properly, pressed). How hard it is to pull it, and how far you have to pull it constitutes its "trigger pull." A semi-automatic, or single action revolver will usually have a short, light trigger pull. A double action semi-automatic or revolver will usually have a longer, heavier pull. A double-action single-action automatic (DA/SA) will have a heavy, long trigger pull on the first round, then a light, short pull on subsequent rounds. A double action revolver will require a heavy, long pull when fired DA, and a light short pull when fired SA. Have your parent(s) take you to a gun shop or a range where you can experience various triggers.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
First off, get over your insecurity.

Secondly, don't go shooting any Desrt Eagles, Smith and Wesson X-frames or anything else that is too powerful for a begining shooter.

Third, 22s will not have any recoil to worry about at all. My son shot one when he was 4 years old. Now he is 9 and shreds targets up with his Browning Buckmark 22. Start with a 22 and slowly work your way up from there. Not all handguns will bury their front sights into your forehead. As a matter of fact, I have shot some of the most powerful handguns made and none of them have even come close to hurting me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Horselips, thanks for the explanation. So if the trigger pull is measured at for example, 5 lbs, will I have to press the trigger with 5 pounds so it shoots?

I really like the 357. It really is versatile, I just think that a pistol serves better as a home defence weapon than a revolver.

I will talk to my dad about going to a range. One very interesting range has some really nice weapons, but their calibers are mostly pretty powerful. Do you think I can handle a 9mm?
Here is the list:
Glock 26 (9mm)
Glock 19 (9mm)
Glock 17 (9mm)
Glock 34 (9mm)
Glock 27 (.40 S&W)
Glock 23 (.40 S&W)
Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Glock 35 (.40 S&W)
Glock 36 (.45 ACP)
Glock 30SF (.45 ACP)
Glock 30 (.45 ACP)
Glock 21 (.45 ACP)
Ruger LCR (38 Special)
Ruger LCP (.380)
Beretta Neos (.22 LR)
Beretta FS (9 mm)
Rossi revolver (.22 LR)
Remington R1 1911 (.45 ACP)
Sig Sauer P250 (.40 S & W)
Smith & Wesson (.44 Magnum)

They also have ARs, rifles and Shotguns
AK-47 semi or full auto (7.62x39)
AR-15 (5.56)
Uzi (.22LR)
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 Shotgun (12 gauge)

Do you think I can handle a Uzi or an AK? The Uzi has a .22LR caliber, so I shouldn't expect it having lots of recoil if I set it to semi-auto or burst mode. If I leave the AK on semi I think I can handle the recoil, but I think I will need some expert help to decide (you haha).

Please give me your opinion

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your motivation. I usually look up kids a bit younger than me shooting and see how they do, and they all do fine. I just put up a list with the weapons the shooting range offers, do you have any idea of which ones I can handle and which ones I can't? I am already pretty sure that a .40 caliber is too much for me, I think the 9mm performs a bit inferior to the .40 but it is not that much noticeable.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
As long as you don't let go, you can shoot anything on that list. I did at your age. The .44 wasn't any fun, but the rest, no problem. Start with the .22s and work your way up until you do not feel comfortable any more. Have someone knowledgeable with you when you are shooting, to teach you what to do and what not to do. Safety first, second, and third. Or else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I won't let go I am not really that weak. I think that pistols are the guns with the best grip, that is probably why I like them so much. ARs and normal rifles have bad grips, I think I would prefer to have a fore grip installed on the AK if I do try it out. You usually need a stock for better accuracy and its just a lot harder to set that all up.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Weak probably is not what you should be concerned with. Fear is the issue in most dropped guns.

Start off slow partner and be very safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't seem to find a big issue with "fear". The only "fear" of me firing a gun is when I saw on the news that an 8 year old was firing a Micro SMG on auto mode and while firing he lost control, I don't know but I think that the stock was not being used properly, and then the gun went up and shot him multiple times in the head. That is my only fear, but that story was complete bad luck.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I can't seem to find a big issue with "fear". The only "fear" of me firing a gun is when I saw on the news that an 8 year old was firing a Micro SMG on auto mode and while firing he lost control, I don't know but I think that the stock was not being used properly, and then the gun went up and shot him multiple times in the head. That is my only fear, but that story was complete bad luck.
That's the same thing this kid said. Advance to the last 30 seconds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow. I didn't expect to see the kid get blown back by the gun. It didn't seem like a high caliber gun, so that kid needs some more work.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Wow. I didn't expect to see the kid get blown back by the gun. It didn't seem like a high caliber gun, so that kid needs some more work.
Actually, the father is the one who needs some "work." There is no shortage of video stupidity; people seem to be proud of it. Like the example you saw of the woman with the Desert Eagle. Lots of morons think it's funny to hand a woman a powerful gun & watch them hurt themselves.

I am 100% in favor of gun control for such idiots.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that you have to respect the gun. You can't use a gun to make fun of someone. Guns are made for defence and as a hobby, you should not hand a gun to someone who you know things might go wrong, especially if you hand a gun to someone so they can get hurt "for the vine".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts